Help to decide what midi controller to buy

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, i´m a keyboard player, and i have been playing for a while, now i want to star producing, so i want to buy a midi controller, i´ve been visiting many sites, and for now i´m in the decision between the following:
- Novation Launchkey
- Komplete Kontrol mkII
I know the difference is in the budget but that´s the reason for me to enter this forum, i think my question would be it´s worth to buy teh Komplete Kontrol?.
I want to produce but also play gigs live with Ableton with my band.
Thank you

I use a Novation Remote SL & Push2 with Live. The Remote's integration with Live is great (straight out of the box).

Novation SL MkII, Launchkey have quality issues.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

I've demoed the launchkey at a guitar center and found it to be garbage.

I'd get the Komplete Kontrol, if you have the money. Should be quite a bit better than the Launchkey.

I have an S25.

It's nicely built, but I don't use it to its fullest as I don't like the Komplete Kontrol wrapper software.

It's just something in the way, another thing to do before you get to your sounds.

Plus there are no keypads on the S25 so for controlling something like Avenger which uses macro buttons. Well, it doesn't happen. NI want you to buy their drum pad controller for this, ie, Maschine "to make your studio complete" :P

If I was buying a replacement keyboard controller I wouldn't necessarily buy another S series. It's only a 3 out of 5 if you don't plan to use the Komplete Kontrol wrapper, but probably unmatched if you do fall in love with Komplete Kontrol.

btw Roli Blocks just got a 5 star award in the month's Sound On Sound.
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

You can also look into second hand synths, they tend to come with good keybeds and have the controls laid out better than on controller keyboards. As a bonus you get a standalone instrument.

If you are going to use Live mainly, then I suggest a midi controller/keyboard that integrates well with it. I would buy Akai MPK 2 for Live, but maybe this helps you a little:
https://www.wirerealm.com/guides/best-m ... or-ableton

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

egbert101 wrote:The cheapest one with the most features.
Very helpful.

I really like my Akai Advance (I have the 49), but I'm aware its a bit polarizing on the net. It has a good mix of controls, and I have had a mostly excellent experience with the host software. To me the keyboard feels nice, but I am not a piano player. I've also had an easy time of registering used gear with Akai (MPC Touch) and receiving all the proper software links (in case you bought 2nd hand).

Thanks a lot guys, i have a beeter view now, i visited a musical store yesterday, had the chance to test the launchkey and the quality didn´t impressed me, so i think it´s no the one for me, also tested the Alesis VI, and the keys feel better but in Amazon has bad reviews because the keys start to squeak in time.
I didn´t have the chance to test the Akai Adavance or Mpk, it has better reviews but the price it´s almost same that the Komplete Kontrol, the suggestion about choosing "the cheapest one with most features" is interesting too, i will think about it.
Thanks, i will keep researching

Whatever you do, don't lay hands on a Roli Rise 49 :scared:

I´ll keep it in mind, thank you

Return to “Instruments”