Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
thecontrolcentre
KVRAF

21778 posts since 27 Jul, 2005, from the wilds of wanny

Postby thecontrolcentre; Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:45 am Re: "Where does artistry end and copycat cut and paste begin?"

Winstontaneous wrote:
Hink wrote:
JerGoertz wrote:Most popular music I've heard from recent years is shit anyways.

said every generation eva :hihi:

Yup, that translates directly as "I'm getting old and don't know how to find the good stuff like in my glory days" :help:

I get recommendations from my kids. My son has great taste in music ... 8)
jancivil
KVRAF

13522 posts since 20 Oct, 2007, from No Location

Postby jancivil; Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:37 pm Re: "Where does artistry end and copycat cut and paste begin?"

Winstontaneous wrote:
Hink wrote:
JerGoertz wrote:Most popular music I've heard from recent years is shit anyways.

Yup, that translates directly as "I'm getting old and don't know how to find the good stuff like in my glory days" :help:

I can only speak for myself. I have a much easier time today finding great music BECAUSE YOUTUBE, and I'm absolutely convinced music for consumption is _vastly_ worse today than at any time in my life. I was born in 1956.
JerGoertz
KVRAF

1829 posts since 19 Feb, 2004

Postby JerGoertz; Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:57 pm Re: "Where does artistry end and copycat cut and paste begin?"

jancivil wrote:
Winstontaneous wrote:
Hink wrote:

I can only speak for myself. I have a much easier time today finding great music BECAUSE YOUTUBE, and I'm absolutely convinced music for consumption is _vastly_ worse today than at any time in my life. I was born in 1956.

BAM! I feel the same. I can still find great music, it just ain't in the "modern pop" aisle. Did you see the video somebody did of 2010-ish pop where they cut up a bunch of songs from that era and played them side-by-side? Homogenous crap. Music production tools have never been better, and we've used them to create the most highly polished turds in history. Mirror shine.
A well-behaved signature.
toine6
KVRian

1268 posts since 28 Mar, 2002, from Salt Lake City, Utah - U.S.A.

Postby toine6; Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:03 pm Re: "Where does artistry end and copycat cut and paste begin?"

jancivil wrote:
Winstontaneous wrote:
Hink wrote:

Yes, the consumption music is what's been disappointing. There is so much great stuff out there that very few people are hearing or interested in, but everyone is getting all hot and bothered over the Trump sales pitch. "It's gonna be Yuge, greatest music and band of all time. You're going to love it." I'm ashamed of the mass consumer far too often.
Hink
Rad Grandad

26617 posts since 5 Sep, 2003, from Downeast Maine

Postby Hink; Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:17 pm Re: "Where does artistry end and copycat cut and paste begin?"

still all these comments do go back directly to my point. My parents said the same thing, they still found the music they liked and guess what? They didn't like what was mainstream then and thought it was terrible. For the record I'm talking 60's to mid 70's here (I was born in 59) and really the first album that comes to mind is DSOM. My parents never got it, yet my dad use to buy new Alice Cooper albums for me without my asking for them. I was stunned when I saw an LP under the xmas tree and I could see the green face of Alice Cooper through the wrapping paper on the album cover of "Goes to Hell", which I did not know about until I got it. One good friend's mother (he and I started playing guitar together) was exactly like the voice in "Joe's Garage" "dont you boys know any nice songs" :shrug:
got any good fish stories? Let minnow
vurt
addled muppet weed

34296 posts since 25 Jan, 2003, from through the looking glass

Postby vurt; Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:29 pm Re: "Where does artistry end and copycat cut and paste begin?"

for every beatles there was a cilla...
kevvvvv
vvvvvvv

2230 posts since 23 Oct, 2000, from skelmersdale, west lancs, uk

Postby kevvvvv; Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:50 pm Re: "Where does artistry end and copycat cut and paste begin?"

wonderful kvr thread this

professional blogger scrounging for new ideas/market research/current opinion gets 3 pages of rubbish answers, so she hides herself and heads off to another forum with fingers crossed for another try

love it :lol:
Member 12, Studio One 3, Avenger, Komplete Ultimate, Dune, Spire, Shreddage, Geist2, Battery, BFD3, Analog Strings, Izotope Neutron & Ozone
thecontrolcentre
KVRAF

21778 posts since 27 Jul, 2005, from the wilds of wanny

Postby thecontrolcentre; Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:58 pm Re: "Where does artistry end and copycat cut and paste begin?"

vurt wrote:for every beatles there was a cilla...

Lorra lorra :lol: :lol:
JerGoertz
KVRAF

1829 posts since 19 Feb, 2004

Postby JerGoertz; Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:10 pm Re: "Where does artistry end and copycat cut and paste begin?"

kevvvvv wrote:wonderful kvr thread this

professional blogger scrounging for new ideas/market research/current opinion gets 3 pages of rubbish answers, so she hides herself and heads off to another forum with fingers crossed for another try

It's our natural defense against predators, much like mephitis mephitis (the striped skunk)
A well-behaved signature.
el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF

9226 posts since 24 May, 2009, from A galaxy, far far away

Postby el-bo (formerly ebow); Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:50 am Re: "Where does artistry end and copycat cut and paste begin?"

If anyone wants ideas, to conduct market research, or gauge current opinion, then they should just be upfront about it, and declare that that is their intent. Furthermore, they should commit to responding during the thread, even if only to thank the contributors for their information.

We are not here to be mined :evil: It's up to each forum to decide how they approach these kinds of issues but I would urge for a banning :shrug:
Michael L
KVRAF

1987 posts since 25 Jan, 2014, from the End of the World as we Knowit

Postby Michael L; Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:58 am Re: "Where does artistry end and copycat cut and paste begin?"

I think that blogger should be banned for impersonating the young guitarist/singer/songwriter Sarah Command! https://www.commandsisters.com
kevvvvv
vvvvvvv

2230 posts since 23 Oct, 2000, from skelmersdale, west lancs, uk

Postby kevvvvv; Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:32 am Re: "Where does artistry end and copycat cut and paste begin?"

el-bo
If anyone wants ideas, to conduct market research, or gauge current opinion, then they should just be upfront about it, and declare that that is their intent. Furthermore, they should commit to responding during the thread, even if only to thank the contributors for their information.

exactly

mind you, I think everyone here saw it coming which is what makes it such fun :lol:

all that's missing is the kittens
Member 12, Studio One 3, Avenger, Komplete Ultimate, Dune, Spire, Shreddage, Geist2, Battery, BFD3, Analog Strings, Izotope Neutron & Ozone
jancivil
KVRAF

Postby jancivil; Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:39 pm Re: "Where does artistry end and copycat cut and paste begin?"

Hink wrote:still all these comments do go back directly to my point. My parents said the same thing, they still found the music they liked and guess what? They didn't like what was mainstream then and thought it was terrible. For the record I'm talking 60's to mid 70's here (I was born in 59) and really the first album that comes to mind is DSOM. My parents never got it, yet my dad use to buy new Alice Cooper albums for me without my asking for them. I was stunned when I saw an LP under the xmas tree and I could see the green face of Alice Cooper through the wrapping paper on the album cover of "Goes to Hell", which I did not know about until I got it. One good friend's mother (he and I started playing guitar together) was exactly like the voice in "Joe's Garage" "dont you boys know any nice songs" :shrug:

No, my comment does not circle back to that point. I am not your parents. I am not my parents, albeit my father and I dug many of the same things beginning circa 1970. My mother, being protective and one supposes normally so, went with me to see Hendrix, 5-9-69, and even as she more was the pop music fan and dug eg., Johnny Mathis vs my father and Stan Kenton 'progressive jazz' she found things to like about the thing. I am not a conservative/reactionary at all. I like a couple of Britney Spears records, the songs and the production, and her performance.
So as I find your story entertaining and true for some people, really, my response to it actually disagrees with it as any great truism.

I went thru a teenage music phase and Alice Cooper - the one which you got free paper lacy panties with - and Black Sabbath and other things which I do not care anything about as a grown person.
:shrug: Now, my mother hated some of it because she got sick of hearing it. I never once heard my father go into a rant about rock music. He did really hate country, but I wasn't doing that one. He was a bit snobby about me getting my mother 'Gentle on My Mind' by Glenn Campbell once for her birthday but I liked the song and the album. Oh, postscript, he did not like Stones 'Honky Tonk Woman' on the car radio, because country.

My assessment of the quality of music is generally just objective. Old people can be wise and not just reducible to old fuddy-duddies. People are individuals, albeit sometimes stereotypes are hard to avoid.
jancivil
KVRAF

Postby jancivil; Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:53 pm Re: "Where does artistry end and copycat cut and paste begin?"

three pages of rubbish answers

and for such a serious question

:lol:

This is just like the other one about the unoriginality of unoriginality (samples ruining today's "electronic music"), someone regurgitates some shite they read on a blog and it's replicated on more blogs and even finds its way here.
CrystalWizard
KVRist

465 posts since 10 Jul, 2008, from north sf bay, ca, usa

Postby CrystalWizard; Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:40 pm Re: "Where does artistry end and copycat cut and paste begin?"

There is an amazing amount of good electronic and electro-acoustic music out there today (and everything else). There's a more amazing amount of crap out there also, you just have to dig much deeper to find the stuff you like. Because of the low entry cost of making music (in particular with computers), one has to wade through piles of "cut n paste" crap (and non cut and paste crap.)

:hihi:
gadgets an gizmos...make noise
http://gardenofsensualdelight.com/DBAR.html apologies for broken links, a contruction team is on the way
https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Everything Else (Music related)