How to keep "higher frequencies" down?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

yeah, i said "pause for a second". not that i couldnt figure it out lol.
anyway i still got it wrong in my statement, you aint gonna have low cut and high pass on the same filter, (but you will have low shelf vs low cut), but for some reason when people are talking about it, when not actually touching a filter, its an easy mistake to make, like i just proved.

I would just cut all the highs with an eq using low pass. I think this is a good idea with deep bass every time myself.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

Mushy Mushy wrote:
_al_ wrote:
Mushy Mushy wrote:
Halonmusic wrote:
Mushy Mushy wrote:
Halonmusic wrote:Low cut
Are you sure about that?
Didnt really read the post, just the name of the thread. Embarrassed now. :dog: :oops:
You were close ;) Lots of people mix low and high cut up. Although personally I don’t see how...
they get mixed up with low cut and low pass. they both mean the opposite, but both get used by people to explain the same thing.
even i have to pause for a second when my eq is showing me a list of filters low cut, high pass, low pass etc, and i been dealing with it for over 15 years :hihi:
I just don’t get it, it couldn’t be more clear IMO.

Low cut = cuts the low. No more low.
High cut = cuts the high. No more high.
Low pass = passes the low. No more high.
High pass = passes the high. No more low.
You know it's human to make simple mistakes like that. I'll bet bet you make the same mistakes at times. :roll:
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

You could also use a sidechained dynamic eq with a high shelves, that dips the high frequencies some dB whenever the vocalist sings something. With the threshold and release settings of the dynamic eq you can then sculpt out how long and strong the high frequencies of the bass are dipped.
Not the easist setup for sure, but when dialed in right a very transparent solution.

Of course you can also eq or lowpass the whole bass sound, but as I understood you, you like the overall sound of the bass, it just interferes with the vox.

If you have no dynamic eq, you can get a very similar result with a multiband compressor (but you need the sidechain functionality nevertheless).

My secret trick: Get old enough that you can't hear them anymore. :lol:

UltraPortamento wrote:My secret trick: Get old enough that you can't hear them anymore. :lol:
:lol:
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”