Halion 6 Soundbytes Review

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Celestial Spheres Sound Library for Halion 6 HALion 7 HALion Sonic 7 Collection

As far as I understand Steinberg is part of the Yanaha conglomerate and in these big corporations decisions are often difficult to understand and most of the times fairly delayed. So let‘s wait and see what happens to the GUI design. Expect that eventually it will be improved...

simmo75 wrote:
Touch The Universe wrote:
deastman wrote:
felis wrote:Copy protection schemes, and buying something without owning it,
are a couple of the reasons why I always prefer to get hardware when possible.
Some things are still done only (or mainly) in the software realm though,
and there's always the financial aspect of it too.
Yes, but your hardware won’t run without that rather large single either, and you only get one instance at a time.

(I’m mostly joking. I have lots of hardware myself)

As much as I detest dongles, I prefer to go that way rather than software dongles tied to a hard drive or mobo. I’ve had too many drives go bad over time and then -poof!- there goes your software license.
Having licenses on a usb is convinient, but what is equally as incovenient is using one on a laptop -- not cool (more likely to break and just annoying).
Hey man, I just bought and installed on my studio mac, I used the soft elicenser. I couldn’t get elicenser working on my MacBook so I went to their live chat support and they gave me another license. Might be worth an ask.
PS, please keep the sale going untill the end of the month, I really want to buy your Halion library, sounds incredible!
Cool. This sounds like a good sign. Also, thanks for the heads up. I didn't know they had a chat. This could speed things up considerably :tu:
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

chili beans wrote:They should should design laptops with USB ports embedded underneath. Just like a tv remote control has its batteries. Slide off the cover and slide in the usb stick then slide the cover back on. I hate having thumb drives sticking out especially with a curious 2 yr old running around.
Sounds like a great idea. Would also be nice if they could somehow make the dongle compatible with an SSD slot or something, though have no idea if this could work.
Last edited by Touch The Universe on Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

martinjuenke wrote:As far as I understand Steinberg is part of the Yanaha conglomerate and in these big corporations decisions are often difficult to understand and most of the times fairly delayed. So let‘s wait and see what happens to the GUI design. Expect that eventually it will be improved...
The code for scaling interface elements is technically already in (see Macro Page Designer), but they probably still have some work to do before they're able to give you the option to scale the whole plugin interface with a single click.

The comment about Yamaha is kinda random. AFAIK they allow most of they acquired companies (including Steinberg) to act mostly independently.

h2ogun99 wrote:Hello - I downloaded the demo, went through an hour plus trying to get the e-licencer to work. Turned out I had to use a 'helper' app to remedy the problem. It was not easy finding that solution - first world problem, no doubt.

I'm taken back at how small the GUI is of the provided instruments. At first I was convinced these must be some sort of small representation of the larger interface. The videos you see do not properly show how small they really are. For fun I set my screen to 720 and then it was what i'd call acceptable. They are smaller than v-station, but I expect v-station to be the size it is based on it's age, not a current day instrument. Granted you can enlarge Anima wavetables in another tab, but Skylab, yikes? I'm sure I'm overlooking something, as these can't be the GUI size for these instruments?

Here's a side by side:

Anima next to v-station
Anima next to Matrix-V @ 90% scale

https://imgur.com/a/CWNS4

L

On mine, I just grab any of the divider lines and drag them up or down,
or left or right, to make any portion of the screen as big as desired.

It's very slick compared to some other clunky systems I've worked with.
The program can take up the whole screen, be minimized, or set to take up any portion of the screen.
Any part of the program can be expanded or contracted.
But maybe you're talking about something else.

Is H Sonic pure rompler or can presets be edited and saved with changes made?
Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

morelia wrote:Is H Sonic pure rompler or can presets be edited and saved with changes made?

I've been using Halion 6 more, but you can fully edit and save presets and multis in Sonic 3.

Browsing the manual should answer any questions for you: https://download.steinberg.net/download ... ual_en.pdf

Protocol_b wrote:Thank you Op for the heads-up - I would have missed out on my $50.00 H6 upgrade. Appreciated!
Your welcome :tu: I hope you enjoy it :)

TTU Youtube

morelia wrote:Is H Sonic pure rompler or can presets be edited and saved with changes made?
Presets can be saved and fully tagged. You can easily find all of your custom presets with a single click.

Halion Sonic is only a rompler in the sense that you can't import your own samples and edit the scripts and MegaTrigs of more advanced instruments. You'll need to use it in combination with Halion 6 for that (it includes HS for free).

Halion Sonic doesn't give you the crazy amount of freedom that Halion does, but you can most definitely build very complex sounds with it. It's a very capable hybrid synth.

chili beans wrote:I hate having thumb drives sticking out especially with a curious 2 yr old running around.
If/When you're using your laptop "on the road" (or near a 2 yr old), get a USB hub or extender cable, keep it somewhere safe and only plug it in when needed. :wink:

T-CM11 wrote:
chili beans wrote:I hate having thumb drives sticking out especially with a curious 2 yr old running around.
If/When you're using your laptop "on the road" (or near a 2 yr old), get a USB hub or extender cable, keep it somewhere safe and only plug it in when needed. :wink:
That sounds pretty reasonable. I have one in fact when I had a desktop. I will try to find it and see if it makes things easier. The extra step of plugging it in and out each time I use Halion is cumbersome and caused me to pick another synth in some cases as I'm in the groove and don't feel like stopping to connect the dongle. :cry:

I'm still waiting to hear from them about the issue though I finally did recieve a Halion 5 license so I can use Hypersonic 2. The ticket I made had two parts a) a request for the license and b) how do I install and register Hypersonic 2. Part b was never answered. Can anyone clarify this part?
Last edited by Touch The Universe on Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

TTU Youtube

You have to request the Hypersonic 2 ISO from Steinberg support. You don't have to register or activate anything, just having an Absolute 3 license or the Halion 5 add-on license is enough. I'm not sure if they'll be ok with giving the ISO to someone who never owned it before.

But like I mentioned in a few threads already, Halion 6 and Halion Sonic 3 already include all of the best acoustic instruments from Hypersonic 2 in higher quality, with more samples, velocity layers and articulations. Most of the Hypersonic effects are also included as part of the Legacy H3 effects.

Compared to Halion, Hypersonic's VA is very basic and IMO not as good sounding. The FM and Wavetable engines are almost definitely an afterthought, and are extremely archaic compared to anything Halion offers. Halion doesn't have a FM engine yet, but you can be sure that it's going to be light years ahead of this thing when it's added. :lol:

So yeah, I don't think you're missing out on much if they don't give you the ISO.

Thanks. I will give them another email and request the iso. Hopefully they will okay with it.

I didn't know about the samples and fx in hypersonic also being in Halion, good to know :tu:

TTU Youtube

They sent me a link to the iso and I got it installed and running :D

Everything is still on the dongle though as I'm still waiting to hear from them, which I doubt will be anytime soon since they sorted out this other issue. I'll probably give them a call if it takes much longer :hihi:

TTU Youtube

:party: :party: :clap: :clap:

They sent a new registration code to work on soft elicenser. So happy about this, most excellent :hyper:

They did say it was not possible to transfer from usb to soft, so a new code is the solution. :tu:

TTU Youtube

Return to “Instruments”