Is there a way to install Kontakt 5 on Vista?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey there. I have Komplete Ultimate 9 and 10. I want to install Kontakt 5 on my portable computer, but it has Vista OS and installer keeps saying- it requires at least Windows 7. I can not believe that no one using Kontact 5 with Vista. Is there a work around? Can I download it from NI web site, or will it have the same problem? I could install Kontakt player... But I need my service center to install the libraries, right? If I go with the player, I will only be able to install 3rd party libraries that compatible with the free Player, not NI Komplete libraries, right? For example Sample Logic has 2 or 3 activations. But will the service center install on Vista? How do we authorize something for Kontact Player? Thank you.

The Kontakt player that currently on NI web site would not install. Does anybody have older version of player you can share? Thanks.

You need Kontakt 5.3.1 (the latest version that works on Windows XP)

Well,

it is possible, there is a workaround for the installers, but also there's a little bit work involved.
No need for the Kontakt Player, as you allready have the full version of Kontakt.
I did it for my System with Komplete Ultimate 9.

But before you have to accept, that you won't be able to use a Kontakt Version > 5.3.1,
because the software then itself will not work on Vista anymore,
also of course no library, which needs a higher version of Kontakt and you'll have to be careful with later updates
to working existing libraries to not break them.

Same applies to Battery 4 (V 4.1.2 latest working version) and Maschine 2 (2.0.6 latest working version),
all 3 applications use some kind of memory check with later versions at startup, whose routine isn't
compatible to a Vista OS.

If that's fine with you, I'll try my best to go deeper into the steps involved.

Cheers

I remember having 5.3 at some point. Komplete 9 probably contained 5.3 version, but for some reason that installer would not run either. If you know how to install it, please, let me know, but it looks like it is one installer for all instruments. I will probably not install Maschine or Battery, just Kontakt. Thanks.

OK,

this is based on an older thread by KVR member paulbreeze, so kudos to him.

You'll need this application from Microsoft for the workaround:

"Application verifer"

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... x?id=20028

Important: you'll need the x86 version of it, even if you have a 64 bit system (because of the NI installers,
which I believe are x86 versions) !

This tool will actually fool the installers, that you're on a Windows 7 system.

OK, after you installed this app - next step:

- connect your Ultimate 9 drive to the PC
- go to Start > Control Panel > Folder Options > "View" Tab > enable "hidden files - show all files and folders"
- now you should see a lot of hidden folders besides the Komplete 9 Setup Exe, open the one called "sub installers - this one includes all the individual Win installers.

- Now run Application Verifer:
- go to "File > add application
- search the NI drive and choose the Komplete 9 Ultimate Setup PC.exe
- do the same at least for the "Kontakt 5 Setup PC.exe" and "Service Center Setup PC.exe",
which are found in the folder "sub installers" (this will make applying updates later possible and a lot easier).

- Now you have these 3 entries in the left pane of the application verifer

- choose the first entry > in the right pane uncheck "Basics", click on the plus-sign before "Compatibility,
check on "HighVersionLie"
Now in the bottom pane (Properties) you need to change the values for the first 3 properties:
double click on "Major version > enter a value of 6
double click on "Minor version > enter a value of 1
double click on Build number > enter a value of 7601

repeat these steps for all the other added Setup files in the left pane of the application verifer.

Finally > click on "Save" !
You can now close application verfier, no need to have it running further.

You should be now able to run the Komplete installer, install Kontakt and the Service Center, activate Komplete,
and also later install further updates to them (just don't delete the entries in app verifer)

Good luck

Thank you for the post. I have to make time to try it. Sounds complicated but I will do it. Thanks. Will update.

Thank you so much for sharing this. It really worked! It installed the entire Ultimate 9 on Vista. I am saving the directions in case somebody else will ask. This is great.

It installed Kontakt 5.1 something. I heard that Vista can run Kontakt 5.3. I would like to update, but in service center it offers 5.5 version. So it will not work? It would be nice to update it because I think 5.1 looks different than what I used to in 5.5 version.

I am wondering if the same approach would work for Komplete 10 update. Not trying to push it, but just interesting.

The service center offers updates for almost every element of Ultimate. Should I update any or not update anything? Thank you.

As my DAW is offline I never use the Service Center for updates,
but I guess you can use it for all products like FM8, Massive, Reaktor with no problem.
But for Kontakt, all Kontakt based Libraries, Battery 4 (and Maschine 2 if you have) you can
go to NI's website/Support/Downloads/Updates.

Type in the product you want to update - for example Kontakt - and you get a nice list, which also
includes older updates. (Pick v 5.3.1 - it will still look different to 5.5, as snapshots had been later introduced)
Also you'll notice the release dates at the right side...

For all Kontakt Library Updates available don't use any which have been released at the time or later
as Kontakt 5.4.1 (Sept 2014), otherwise you won't be able to load them into Kontakt 5.3.1 anymore.
For the most part those latest updates only add support for the new Komplete Keyboards and Software anyway...

Now for Ultimate 10...
(now comes the part about which I am curious...) :wink:

Well, I don't own it, but I guess the method described should still apply.
Try it yourself, but now only install the new included products in Ultimate 10.
I'm not sure, if any of the Kontakt based Libraries actually will work with Kontakt 5.3.1,
it depends on the versions included in Ultimate 10.
I myself am especially curious about "The Gentleman" piano, which I got for free with Komplete Select this year,
but it came as an download file, which allready was on Version 1.2.
I could install it, but I can't load it into K 5.3.1.
Would be nice, if you could report, if it does work for you with the original installers...

Which brings me just to another point...

You might run into some installers at some time, which won't install, and which are not labeled
"ProductXYZ Setup PC.exe" (updates or only via download available files) - in such a case extract the EXE with 7zip, WinRAR or Universal Extractor -
in the extracted folder you'll then find the actual Setup.exe, which you'll need to add to the application verifer.
Now the installation should just run fine.

At last for now (to round this off) - here are the links to two older threads on KVR about this topic:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... &p=5541306 (link in first post isn't working anymore)

and

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 21424&f=42

Just for some additional information...

OK, let me know, how you came along,
Cheers
(Sorry, that it has became such a long read... :wink: )

mod edit wrote:warez, cracked versions and such are not permitted here, nor is discussing it

Return to “Instruments”