Arrangement view in Ableton Live is a nightmare! Any tips?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

If you find it's a nightmare then use it in the daytime instead.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Aloysius wrote:If you find it's a nightmare then use it in the daytime instead.
Oh really? :lol:

:hihi:
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

I've never had a problem with it myself. Especially after using Acid Pro previously. RTFM.

Guys stop suggesting reading the manual, I already have (lying :ud: ).

I never read Cubase's manual, just some sections with special issues, and it took me less than days to work fluently. The same for Bitwig.

This isn't about reading a manual (I already know how things are done, I wanna know what's your workaround to what can't be done efficiently).

J-909 wrote:Guys stop suggesting reading the manual, I already have (lying :ud: ).

I never read Cubase's manual, just some sections with special issues, and it took me less than days to work fluently. The same for Bitwig.

This isn't about reading a manual (I already know how things are done, I wanna know what's your workaround to what can't be done efficiently).
Why are you even using Live if Cubase & BW are so much easier for you?

thecontrolcentre wrote:
J-909 wrote:Guys stop suggesting reading the manual, I already have (lying :ud: ).

Collabs and co-productions :tu:
(Also trying to actually produce stuff myself to get used to it)

J-909 wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:

Collabs and co-productions :tu:
(Also trying to actually produce stuff myself to get used to it)
Fair enough. :party:

J-909 wrote:
Trancit wrote:What are you complaining about...

Get used to how things work in Live or leave it if you cannot...

Live isn´t Cubase (or any other) and otherway round...
Live does many things better than Cubase (or any other) and Cubase (or any other) does many things better than Live... that´s how it is and probably ever will be...

Every DAW has it´s strength and weakness and no DAW will turn into another one...
I am considering leaving (I might not be able to for compatibility with mates'work) but first I wanted to ask about efficient workflow here, that's why I'm writing. There's always little tricks that I can incorporate to my workflow, that's what I'm looking for.
I didn´t meant you... it´s absolutely fine to ask for tips...

My response was more to all the postings about how advanced Cubase and how poor Live is... Live doesn´t come even close in this or that, f*ck moving play cursor etc...

my perspective from using LIVE exclusively for the last 10 or 11 years is different from those who have used multiple platforms(who apparently have both the time and inclination to learn multiple DAWs). What they describe as shortcomings vs other platforms; I see as idiosyncrasies that may or may not be unique to LIVE.
I also only speak english fluently and feel very good about mastering that very challenging language. (I can however, say "hello", "thank you" and "I love you pretty girl" in perhaps 15 different languages)

:=)
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

Trancit wrote:
J-909 wrote:
Trancit wrote:What are you complaining about...

Get used to how things work in Live or leave it if you cannot...

Live isn´t Cubase (or any other) and otherway round...
Live does many things better than Cubase (or any other) and Cubase (or any other) does many things better than Live... that´s how it is and probably ever will be...

Every DAW has it´s strength and weakness and no DAW will turn into another one...
I am considering leaving (I might not be able to for compatibility with mates'work) but first I wanted to ask about efficient workflow here, that's why I'm writing. There's always little tricks that I can incorporate to my workflow, that's what I'm looking for.
I didn´t meant you... it´s absolutely fine to ask for tips...

My response was more to all the postings about how advanced Cubase and how poor Live is... Live doesn´t come even close in this or that, f*ck moving play cursor etc...
HA! Yeah Cubase is so much better than Ableton, you tell yourself that after you've finally finished doing something you could've done in 1/10th of the time using Ableton.

throw that piece of trash ableton live
and get real daw like REAPER
ok enough of trolling and triggering
i would say get used to it
its a unique daw of it own thats for shure
and
maybe paste a samll post-it with the shortcuts written on it
and the recent live 10 update (dont owe ableton but just watched the trailer)
i think in arrangement sample editing has become way easier

P.S. at least you have a dedicated window for wraping.reaper dosent(may be an extension exists but i am not aware of it)
Win 10 x64 with specs enough to run DAW without bouncing any track
KZ IEM,32-bit 384Khz dac running at 32bit 48Khz
mainly use REAPER, MTotalbundle, Unfiltered Audio TRIAD and LION, NI classic collection,......... ETC

J-909 wrote:How it should be: You place the playhead somewhere and whatever you do it should stay there until you decide otherwise. :tu:
Save your default project so that there is a marker at the beginning of the project, name it something like "Start", with a key bound to it (I've used "Q" for well over a decade for this). Then set this "playhead" where ever you currently want it to be. When ever you wish to play from there, you press Q and then space. It's absolutely second nature by now. When ever you wish to play from where ever it would play otherwise, don't press Q :D. This way, no matter where you are in the project, whether you're editing MIDI or whatever, editing and arranging anything, you can always go back to this start marker and start playback there.

I started using Live when the Start Marker was actually a specific feature used to control playback start position, without a key command, and I got so used to it I have used this method ever since that feature was removed.

J-909 wrote:In Cubase this is so simple: you grab the edges to resize, you grab the center to move, you grab the center and alt (I think) to offset the internal content.

:shrug:

Guenon wrote:
J-909 wrote:In Cubase this is so simple: you grab the edges to resize, you grab the center to move, you grab the center and alt (I think) to offset the internal content.

:shrug:
Yup :hihi:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”