best distortion effects 2018 for tastful analog style saturation and signal fattening?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I stumbled upon Airwindows plugins after visiting this thread and I must say I am glad that I did. If you have no qualms about gui-less plugins then you MUST try these at least once.

Density, PurestDrive, ToTape5 are really good.

After finding how good they are I watched many of the Airwindows videos (some are painfully long) and downloaded a few other plugins and using them in my tracks. I find them really low on CPU and well focused meaning it's made for one task and it does that really well. Don't go by my word, just try it.

PS: I have tried them in Reaper only so not sure how other hosts behave for non-gui plugins.

I tried some other plugins suggested in this thread, here are my views:
Wave Arts Tube Saturator 2 - Good but heavy on CPU
Shattered Glass Audio - SGA1566 (free) - Good but Heavy on CPU
AXP_SoftAmp_PSA - Lots of control to get what you want
Klanghelm IVGI2 - Good
satYatunes - Sound and Graphic Designer
Beautiful UI and skins for VST plugins.
Website | Portfolio

Slate Digital VTC
Kush Preamps
Sly-Fi Kaya
brainworx Saturator 2
A well-behaved signature.

Other than the majority of those mentioned in this thread, I keep coming back to AXP Softamp 3OD and jb's SEND.

There was also a freeware one posted a long while ago on a blog, where you could virtually see and tweak all the inside components of a real (sorry emulated) tube preamp circuit.

Sorry, one more:

Audiority's Tube Modulator with the modulation turned off can get some sweet coloration, in my admittedly somewhat brief time playing with it.
A well-behaved signature.

chk071

Thanks for the heads up :wink:

I don't have a saturator in my default track chain, and probably need one (I can see myself using it already :) ).

I found an excellent review, which is encouraging, plus there's Klanghelm's good reputation to go on.

https://www.musicradar.com/reviews/tech ... drr-590586
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

oops :o :oops:

just saw in today's news that I'm entitled to one with my Presonus AudioBox as part of the Magic Pack.

I passed on this when I first got audiobox, as it required loads of fussy registration for fx I more or less already had.

Now I think differently.

So thanks again chk071
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

Ik Saturator.x.its.nice

kevvvvv wrote:oops :o :oops:

just saw in today's news that I'm entitled to one with my Presonus AudioBox as part of the Magic Pack.

I passed on this when I first got audiobox, as it required loads of fussy registration for fx I more or less already had.

Now I think differently.

So thanks again chk071
No problem, hope you like it. :) SDDRTube is just the Tube module from SDRR though, right? Looked like a special version, but, if you're fine with that, that's good of course.

Additionally, you could also get the free IVGI, which is a slimmed down version of SDRR's Desk module.

Soundtoys Radiator
Plugin Alliance Elysia Karacter

chk071

Used SDRR on the master chain of an orchestral arrangement (Ozone conked out with cpu stress)

Used gently, it seemed to give more definition to the sound, an ever so slightly crispier edge.

A bit like sharpening a jpg.

Pleasing too.

A little goes along way.

Might buy the full on version if I keep using it.

"tasteful" to me is totally Reviver by FieldingDSP. Really hard to make it sound bad as it doesn't do extreme overdrive or distortion - gives you sliders for 2nd and 3rd order harmonics so it's upto you if you want tape/tube flavours or a mix. A lot of effort has been made to eliminate aliasing + the price is fantastic. Adds subtle depth and dimension when you just use low values like 5-10%, highligting some of the stuff in your mix that was buried way down. Makes it perfect for "tasteful analog style" on the master.

kevvvvv wrote:chk071

Used SDRR on the master chain of an orchestral arrangement (Ozone conked out with cpu stress)

Used gently, it seemed to give more definition to the sound, an ever so slightly crispier edge.

A bit like sharpening a jpg.

Pleasing too.

A little goes along way.

Might buy the full on version if I keep using it.
:tu:

Anti-Logic wrote: There was also a freeware one posted a long while ago on a blog, where you could virtually see and tweak all the inside components of a real (sorry emulated) tube preamp circuit.
This one ?

https://philaudio.wordpress.com/research/tube-preamp/

^^^ I tried this today. It's good however doesn't add much to the low end that some other saturation plugins do. However I admit I haven't tried it in detail. Have to go through the manual first to understand all those little knobs in the circuit.

Anyone tried JB Ferox? not the new one but the old JB plugin that was available for free. It's 32 bit only. It's one of the few 32 bit plugin that I still have. A real gem.
satYatunes - Sound and Graphic Designer
Beautiful UI and skins for VST plugins.
Website | Portfolio

djanthonyw wrote:Black Rooster VPRE-73.
Another vote for VPRE-73.

Airwindows Density is great, too.
It's easy if you know how

Return to “Effects”