One Synth Challenge #108: Diodow by HrastProgrammer (Schiing Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is anyone else getting crashes when they try to reopen a project in Reaper that includes automation with Diodow? It has happened to me twice now and to be honest this time especially it is pretty devastating as I have hours of work into this one. It works fine with anything without automation it seems like. The program also crashes whenever I try to use automation without having the VST open first but that is no big deal since I know what to do.

bryemye wrote:Is anyone else getting crashes when they try to reopen a project in Reaper that includes automation with Diodow? It has happened to me twice now and to be honest this time especially it is pretty devastating as I have hours of work into this one. It works fine with anything without automation it seems like. The program also crashes whenever I try to use automation without having the VST open first but that is no big deal since I know what to do.
I'm getting crashes like crazy in every DAW I've tried. I've tried MIDI CC automation as well as standard parameter automation and the thing just crashes. You can tell this thing is a hobby project, it seems the VST spec was not implemented fully.

Hopefully next month I can get my first submission in.

I would really advise against using automation even though it's possible "in theory"...

Haven't had a crash in Reaper when using it without automation (disabled in .ini file) yet.

Note: I was able to recover my file by disabling automation in the .ini.

Guess I will have to get creative with the things I wanted to use automation for...I guess the modulation architecture is pretty nuts.

So this is my track in its current state for this month's challenge. Didn't use any automation except for some volume stuff just through Reaper.

https://soundcloud.com/bryemye/bryemye-encave

DAW: Reaper

12 x Diodow. All patches from Init.
ReaComp
JSDistort (lightly on the kick)
OrilRiver
ReaEQ
ReaFir
pizMIDIStrum
Last edited by bryemye on Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

6 completely different Diodow tracks later...

9 instances of Diodow.
All from init, no sample content.
Too many leftover fx from previous versions.

Edit: Non submission track link removed.
Last edited by TheNeverScene on Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just a touch of EQ and a tickle of compression

I'll be honest, I'm not hearing things for this synth. I have a snare, I have a few sounds I like from the main patch, but something about this synth strikes me as so dead and I can't breathe life into it. I also am not a fan of the factory samples.

Struggling to get inspired. Pizza might help.

functionform wrote:I'll be honest, I'm not hearing things for this synth. I have a snare, I have a few sounds I like from the main patch, but something about this synth strikes me as so dead and I can't breathe life into it. I also am not a fan of the factory samples.

Struggling to get inspired. Pizza might help.
I had a weird dream. The gods of music demanded from me, that I throw aboard my musical tactics that is in fact 100% equivalent to Bob Ross' ever repeating pathetic clichè tree painting strategy. BTW I like Bob Ross.
And, they said I should think about Lyonel Feininger instead. Just an example, they said.
How do the gods of music know that I like Bob and Lyonel? Man, that was weird kind of a dream I can tell you...suitable and probably inspired by that weird kind of synth...where the trees needs to be placed somewhere else on the canvas? And the tiny little highlights on the bushes need different color than just titanium white and some green...

@Functionform...I feel ya! I'd even try anchovies and pineapple on mine if thought it would help.

@PeterH...That's a great analogy. It's nice to see Diodow is giving you nightmares too :)

I just installed the Tranzistow demo to view the envelope graph. I wish I had done that earlier. Not only did it help understand Time/Level, but it made me realize that the amp env is unipolar while the others are bipolar...duh.

FWIW My feeble mind has finally grasped the envelopes, so back to the drawing board (and the eighties:) I go!....don't judge :D

TheNeverScene wrote:FWIW My feeble mind has finally grasped the envelopes, so back to the drawing board (and the eighties:) I go!....don't judge :D
Looking forward to hearing what you come up with.

Yeah Wags, me too! The amount of "directions" I've been with Diodow has been an eye opener and maddening. I was at the mercy of the synth, but something clicked today. I can actually sit and enjoy working with it now, plus I have a handful of unorthidow (yeah, I spelled that right...another track name for the books!) patches that I can hopefully work in. We'll see. There is definitely a strange timing issue that occurs, usually only noticed on faster drum rolls and such, but I can live with that.

TheNeverScene wrote:Yeah Wags, me too! The amount of "directions" I've been with Diodow has been an eye opener and maddening. I was at the mercy of the synth, but something clicked today. I can actually sit and enjoy working with it now, plus I have a handful of unorthidow (yeah, I spelled that right...another track name for the books!) patches that I can hopefully work in. We'll see. There is definitely a strange timing issue that occurs, usually only noticed on faster drum rolls and such, but I can live with that.
You know it's funny, after working with Tranzistow, I find this synth a bit limiting. But that's to be expected given the monster that Tranzistow is. But at the same time, while I'm creating a basically sci fi sound bank, this synth is great for when you just want to get a good sounding pad or lead. The 4 oscillators and the numerous LFOs make for some interesting sounds, even when trying to keep them fairly simple.

I still haven't decided if I'm going to be entering this contest though I have used Diodow on one of my Vocaloid originals. It blends in so well with "normal" synths that you can't really tell which part it's playing, which is how it should be.

Anyway, with 10 days left, I still have time to decide what I'm going to do with this thing.

When I opened up Tranzistow, my jaw dropped. What a massive undertaking!

I hope you find the gumption to get something in this round. Don't you have somewhere around a billion presets? :clown:

I have a feeling there won't be many entries, but I hope I'm wrong.

Funny thing about Diodow's sound quality...what I'm working on now has probably the least amount of vst's mixed in that I've ever done. It's been a goal of mine the past few months to work towards to getting the sound out of the synth without relying heavily on add ons. I blame me for that though, not the other synths, but I'm getting there. I still like my reverbs and delays at times though, but this synth can get very wide and you can really put things where you want them.

TheNeverScene wrote:When I opened up Tranzistow, my jaw dropped. What a massive undertaking!

I hope you find the gumption to get something in this round. Don't you have somewhere around a billion presets? :clown:

I have a feeling there won't be many entries, but I hope I'm wrong.

Funny thing about Diodow's sound quality...what I'm working on now has probably the least amount of vst's mixed in that I've ever done. It's been a goal of mine the past few months to work towards to getting the sound out of the synth without relying heavily on add ons. I blame me for that though, not the other synths, but I'm getting there. I still like my reverbs and delays at times though, but this synth can get very wide and you can really put things where you want them.
Yeah, I find that this synth can really stand on its own.

Return to “Instruments”