Another company goes 64-bit only

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I think most of the people still using 32-bit plugins are using a 64-bit OS by now. Any computer sold in the last 10 years has a 64-bit OS on it.

Teksonik wrote:
mcbpete wrote:
Using inter-process communication mechanisms, it aims to make it possible to run 32bit plugins in 64bit hosts, 64bit plugins in 32bit hosts, or even bridging 32bit plugins to 32bit hosts, allowing to overcome the memory limitations of a single 32bit process, in this last case.
Yet......
whyterabbyt wrote: jbridge has done this for as long as its existed. The only caveat is that you have to be running a 64-bit OS.
So can you run a 64 bit plugin on a 32 bit OS ?

I imagine those who are still using only 32 bit plugins also have a 32 bit OS.
Teksonik wrote:I have no idea if you can bridge a 64 bit plugin to work on a 32 bit system.
32-bit host is the DAW, not the OS it runs on. 64-bit code will not run on a 32-bit OS.

On a 64-bit OS, a 32-bit DAW can host a 64-bit plugin because the plugin runs in a separate (64-bit) process, independently of the DAW.

sprnva wrote:
Teksonik wrote:I imagine those who are still using only 32 bit plugins also have a 32 bit OS.
At this stage, I'd say most people using 32-bit plugins are "stuck" using them because they were never updated to 64-bit and they either don't want to look for alternatives or just prefer to stick with them.
Or can't afford an updated system. I can't see any sane reason to run only 32 bit plugins if you have 64 bit capable architecture and 64 bit OS.

Of course there is always the King of the Luddites who simply won't switch and that's fine but at that point I think you lose the right to say "F**K 64bit only devs"........
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

swatwork wrote:32-bit host is the DAW, not the OS it runs on. 64-bit code will not run on a 32-bit OS.
Yes I know the difference between a Host and an OS. I said system meaning it's still running a 32 bit OS or it's simply so incredibly old it's architecture is 32 bit only....:wink:

I said.......
Teksonik wrote:I have no idea if you can bridge a 64 bit plugin to work on a 32 bit system. I've never had a need for such a bridge however my gut feeling is it wouldn't work
So my gut feeling was right.

Anyway I've moved on to 64 bit so no problems here. I do feel sorry for people who can't upgrade to modern specs due to financial reasons but have absolutely no sympathy for people who won't upgrade and then bitch about developers dropping 32 bit support.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Of course there is always the King of the Luddites who simply won't switch and that's fine but at that point I think you lose the right to say "F**K 64bit only devs"........
Er, why, ? As long as there's a current fully supported Winows 32 bit (which Win 10 is afaik) 32 bit tech isn't dead yet in my book.

Teksonik wrote:Yes I know the difference between a Host and an OS. I said system meaning it's still running a 32 bit OS or it's simply so incredibly old it's architecture is 32 bit only....:wink:
If you say so...

In the post I responded to you were implying "64bit plugins in 32bit hosts" contradicted whyterabbyt's claim that "you have to be running a 64-bit OS", when both statements are correct.

swatwork wrote:
Teksonik wrote:Yes I know the difference between a Host and an OS. I said system meaning it's still running a 32 bit OS or it's simply so incredibly old it's architecture is 32 bit only....:wink:
If you say so...

In the post I responded to you were implying "64bit plugins in 32bit hosts" contradicted whyterabbyt's claim that "you have to be running a 64-bit OS", when both statements are correct.
I implied no such thing. The bold in the part I quoted by mcbpete was from him not me. You'll note I never used the word Host. Perhaps take a bit more care before responding........ :wink:

No_Use wrote:
Teksonik wrote: Of course there is always the King of the Luddites who simply won't switch and that's fine but at that point I think you lose the right to say "F**K 64bit only devs"........
Er, why, ? As long as there's a current fully supported Winows 32 bit (which Win 10 is afaik) 32 bit tech isn't dead yet in my book.
Obviously the developers who have dropped 32 bit support have done so for a reason. Perhaps they simply see no upside to supporting a dying format.

To be honest every developer out there could go all 64 bit and it wouldn't affect me at all. Well I guess it might because any time they would spend on maintaining and supporting 32 bit plugins would then be spent on 64 bit development and that's all I use these days so......... :wink:

As I said I feel sorry for those who are stuck for financial reasons but as I also said....Move on or get left behind. :shrug:

Oh and anyone who buys and installs the 32 bit version of Win 10 on 64 bit capable hardware is a nutter.....in my opinion. :nutter:

Teksonik wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote: jbridge has done this for as long as its existed. The only caveat is that you have to be running a 64-bit OS.
So can you run a 64 bit plugin on a 32 bit OS ?
You cant run any 64-bit code in a 32-bit OS, plugin or otherwise, whether the processor is 64-bit capable or not.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Actually this pancake metaphor is not a good one as it incorrectly implies to the average person that adding bits is a linear change in the effective size of the information. it is not. It is an exponential change.

64bit address space is not twice as big as 32bit address space. it is about 4 billion times bigger!

32-bit address space results in things like the ~4GB memory limitations for 32-bit applications. This is a real limitation in complex sessions with many sampler instruments, particularly in scoring work for example. 64-bit address space is so huge that there will never be a temptation to increase it to 128-bit for example. No single user is ever going to need larger than 64-bit address space.

The OP is dealing with this topic, not audio format bit depth. That is a different topic.

And now I want 65 pancakes. Thanks...
Image Image Image Image

Someone buying Windows 10 and installing the 32bit version would be really strange. When I was using Windows XP the RAM address space was 3.5GB and 2GB allowed per software. I had to deal with 32bit Ableton Live for a long time which had the same limitation until I hacked it with a tool that runs VSTS as separate things outside of the DAW.

Return to “Effects”