Waves Plugins - can someone explain the update charges to me.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

simon.a.billington wrote:If you selec the One Computer Authrisation option at the top, it maxes out to around $300-320.
Good to know, thank you :)

Liney wrote:Apologies if this has been covered before.

For context, I always pay for all my plugins, and am quite happy to do so (much of my pay packet has gone straight to Fabfilter in recent times!). I'm really grateful for the expertise that brings me all the tools that I now use daily.

I recently bought Waves NX, and am now tempted by one or two other things by the same company, for instance Kramer Master Tape and CLA-2A.

However, I'm a bit confused by their payment plan...have seen people post that when you buy Waves plugins, in effect it is more like you are renting them. I wasn't fully aware of anything like this when I bought NX (I'm sure it was in the small print so not blaming anyone for this).

So:

a) is there an annual fee to keep using the plugins you have bought from Waves?

b) is there just a fee when for instance OS X is updated to whatever comes after it?

c) If I owned just, say, NX and also Kramer Master Tape, what would any likely costs be going forward. Would it be like having to repurchase them on a regular basis. Can I just go on using the versions I originally bought for ever at no ongoing cost?

Like I say, I am happy to pay for all my plugins, but if all the companies I use charged a regular subscription, I think the cost would become prohibitive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16bA9-WRFQ8

Start by educating yourself, stop relying on Internet users to school you in anything but their perspectives and opinions.

Everything is outlined and well documented, simply follow the information.
https://www.waves.com/support/waves-update-plan

And after all that information, if you're still having issues, simply contact support they are always willing and able to help you resolve your personal configuration or system issues.
https://www.waves.com/support

Seriously, it doesn't get any easier then that, and it gets even more difficult being an engineer troubleshooting issues for clients in real time.

I first thought that wup wouldn't bother me, but it does. I realised that none of the waves plugins were my preferred go-to plugins anyway, so I've pretty much stopped using and have no intention to wup other than element and codex. My total wup would be about 400-500, but capped at 225. It's a confusing system.

I think their pricing is a bit off these days. They sell many of their plugins now at $29 during sales (which seem to be all the time), but the wup price is still the same I think.

They do my head in. I've always liked waves, but recently I'm hit with multiple problems at once: The latest (9.6?) can't be read by FL, so I need download the (9.3?) offline installer, but I've got a few version 8 plugs, if I install a newer plug, the newer ones overwrite the older shell and the older ones stop working, takes a lot to get them all working... very very fickle plugins.

[edit] Oh yeah, point being, if you don't keep doing the WUP thing you're in for future headaches.

an-electric-heart wrote:They do my head in. I've always liked waves, but recently I'm hit with multiple problems at once: The latest (9.6?) can't be read by FL, so I need download the (9.3?) offline installer, but I've got a few version 8 plugs, if I install a newer plug, the newer ones overwrite the older shell and the older ones stop working, takes a lot to get them all working... very very fickle plugins.

[edit] Oh yeah, point being, if you don't keep doing the WUP thing you're in for future headaches.
You need to run a new scan and verify the plugins when you update.

sjm wrote:
an-electric-heart wrote:They do my head in. I've always liked waves, but recently I'm hit with multiple problems at once: The latest (9.6?) can't be read by FL, so I need download the (9.3?) offline installer, but I've got a few version 8 plugs, if I install a newer plug, the newer ones overwrite the older shell and the older ones stop working, takes a lot to get them all working... very very fickle plugins.

You need to run a new scan and verify the plugins when you update.
Cheers for the pro tip! :tu: ... come on, obviously if I use plugins at all I know that.

raymondwave wrote:I first thought that wup wouldn't bother me, but it does. I realised that none of the waves plugins were my preferred go-to plugins anyway, so I've pretty much stopped using and have no intention to wup other than element and codex. My total wup would be about 400-500, but capped at 225. It's a confusing system.

I think their pricing is a bit off these days. They sell many of their plugins now at $29 during sales (which seem to be all the time), but the wup price is still the same I think.
It caps at about $300-320. You don’t actually need it to keep your plugins up to date. So it’s onky worthwhile paying when you actually need it.

The only WUP fee I have paid in 5+ years was the $10 to upgrade to Element 2. I haven’t needed it since and I’m pretty much updating the plugins on a monthly basis.

Return to “Effects”