why does Ableton only using one thread core? CPU overloading.

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Have you tested with Reaper? It has clearer CPU usage graph and numbers. I also suggest to test some other demos like Bitwig and Studio One and compare with Ableton Live results.

I had a problem with my laptop and windows 7 some years ago. It was also a latency problem, I think, that had nothing to do with the processor. It was this problem with some WLAN drivers and Windows 7. Do you hear this noise randomly? or only when your CPU maxing out?

Keep on it, and you will reach to the main reason. If you have a friend with an external audio interface, it would be good, so you can test it as well in your system.

EnGee wrote:Have you tested with Reaper? It has clearer CPU usage graph and numbers. I also suggest to test some other demos like Bitwig and Studio One and compare with Ableton Live results.

I had a problem with my laptop and windows 7 some years ago. It was also a latency problem, I think, that had nothing to do with the processor. It was this problem with some WLAN drivers and Windows 7. Do you hear this noise randomly? or only when your CPU maxing out?

Keep on it, and you will reach to the main reason. If you have a friend with an external audio interface, it would be good, so you can test it as well in your system.
yes my problem is exactly what you are describing.
Ive used other DAWs, same clicking sound regardless of what latencymon says. sometimes it reads its working, when clearly im having a problem.
odly enough coming out of left ear.
not my mixer,card,headphones, exta.....all been troubleshooted and work fine.

i think i read something about the wlan drivers, not sure what to do though. yes im using windows 7

EvilDragon wrote:For a desktop computer, especially a DAW, it's best to have power options set to High Performance ALYWAYS.
Or use something like this free app (http://tringi.trimcore.cz/Full_Throttle_Override) that will engage High Performance mode whenever a program on its list - for example a DAW - is being launched. This way you can set your power profile to Balanced for whenever browsing the internet, watching movies, working on documents, etc. and never change it manually.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

i swaped out the SSD with another one with the same DAWs drivers and everything.
same problem, the clicking poping sounds.

so i doubt its some kind of driver issue, must be hardware. i know for a fact the sound card works fine.

im guessing its the graphics card or its the motherboard.

im out of ideas

You won't know if it's not the soundcard (+ its drivers or A4A) unless you try another one (preferably not M-Audio) with its own ASIO drivers.

zoogoo wrote:
EnGee wrote:Have you tested with Reaper? It has clearer CPU usage graph and numbers. I also suggest to test some other demos like Bitwig and Studio One and compare with Ableton Live results.

yes my problem is exactly what you are describing.
Ive used other DAWs, same clicking sound regardless of what latencymon says. sometimes it reads its working, when clearly im having a problem.
odly enough coming out of left ear.
not my mixer,card,headphones, exta.....all been troubleshooted and work fine.

i think i read something about the wlan drivers, not sure what to do though. yes im using windows 7
If you mean the latency problem, then it is a sh*t problem! Sorry!

You need to check for an alternative driver for your wireless card. But first let's see, how do you connect to the internet? I supposed with a wireless card?

Why don't you upgrade to Windows 10? I have never had such problem since I used Win 10 (the laptop was also upgraded to Windows 10 and it works perfect!). Unless, something that really stops you from the upgrade, then I believe Windows 10 would be the better choice.

Ryzen CPUs don't play nicely with Windows 7, also , as i remember correctly, Microsoft won't be supporting this new CPUs (including Intel's new ones also) on Win 7. I bet all this problems you having will be gone as soon as you move to Win 10.

Yes, i know, Win 7 is the best, blablabla, but eventually you will have to switch to Win 10, it's just the way it is.
I remember some people swearing on Win 98, then on WIn XP, they all had to move on at some point. The sooner you make the move, the better :D

zoogoo wrote: Is overclocking really neccesary to make a marginal difference? this CPU is ranked like #40 on speed benchmark list. Im sure it will help, but is it really fixing my problem here? sounds like if its a buffering audio on a single core then the difference will only be marginal.
Live 10 may not (yet) be fully optimized.
Do you have a copy of Live 9 to compare?

In a situation where one CPU core is being hit hard, having significantly lower clock-speed is a major disadvantage.

Locking the processor at its highest Turbo frequency isn't much of an over-clock. :wink:
If possible (and you have proper cooling), it'll get your clock-speed up a bit (with no throttling down)... which might help mitigate the problem.

Multi-threaded scenarios (ie: video rendering) is where the Ryzen CPUs really shine.
Since-thread scenarios (like the issue you describe) is Ryzen's "Achilles-Heal".
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

Drivers could be the problem, the truth is the majority of audio interfaces brands make very poor ASIO drivers, but you will have to compare to an RME to really see the difference between a good and a mediocre driver.

The other thing that may cause audio glitches is CPU over heating, I had this problem once when the CPU cooler got full of dust (and it was the stock one), I changed to a bigger and better CPU cooler and the problems went away.

Just download HWmonitor to check the temperatures, if the CPU is going into 90° then it might be time to get a better cooler. If you ar ein a laptop maybe take it to a technician so we can apply thermal paste and resit the CPU heatsink.
dedication to flying

Still keep in mind the stuff about Live 10 causing abnormal CPU utilization on some systems currently, too. It seems your system does have some unfortunate issues with DPC, but if you're unlucky, you are being hit with two things at the same time: your system, as far as realtime low-latency operation goes, and also the Live 10 CPU problem. If it's also the latter, what you are seeing isn't indicative of how the DAW should run, by a long shot. The DPC stuff is very evident, but the way you get mad CPU loads just by adding an LFO (or something in that vein) suggests there's also the Live problem present.

Could you perhaps attach a project file you are having trouble running, and some of us can check it out on the Live 10 demo (or full version, if already done with the upgrade) ?

I believe he said the build is new. Anyway, doesn't the motherboard come with a CD that had a utility to monitor the different parts of the computer like heat and speed? It also updates all necessary drivers for the motherboard.

EnGee wrote:I believe he said the build is new.
Yeah, that's usually the main situation where one notices a system isn't suitable for low-latency stuff.

I hope the machine starts behaving by disabling all unnecessary components, installing new drivers and perhaps going with a different audio interface and/or GPU. In general, a good precaution is to tell the dealer you are going to use the system for low-latency audio, and ask whether you can return the system (or bring it in for considerable alterations) if it exhibits problems in its intended use. A precaution because there's nothing "wrong" with the system as far as actual warranty is concerned. This way you can be sure you end up with a solid audio workstation. If the dealer isn't okay with this, find one that is :)

Did you build it yourself?

The fact that you didnt know how to access Windows Power Management via the Control Panel reveals alot.

Do you know someone with more technical knowledge than yourself who can look at your setup.

Im betting on a BIOS setting if its not the soundcard/driver
Amazon: why not use an alternative

You might also have to download the latest AMD drivers from their site. Without them the dedicated Ryzen power profile might be missing from your options in Windows.

Not sure, but slow RAM could also be a problem. There were several issues initially. A BIOS update should fix that in most cases, though.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”