Arturia V Collection 6 vs UVI Vintage Vault 2: Who wins?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ATS wrote:
felis wrote:
XorXisT wrote:IMO, if you want real analog sound, samples is the way to go....

IMO, if you want real analog sound, get a real analog synthesizer.

I prefer synth models over samples, so Arturia for me.

isn't it the same thing once you record it?

About the same as you talking compared to your recorded voice.
Or like a picture of you compared to yourself in real life.

Of course, synths can make tons of different sounds by changing parameters.
So if you want anything remotely resembling a synth, you have to take tons of
samples of it.
Either that or place it into an engine that has some similar types of ways of
changing sounds. Those envelopes, filters, lfo's and so on, won't be exactly
the same as in the original synth, so there will be variation there too.

For most people either samples or models are 'close enough' though.

felis wrote:
ATS wrote:

isn't it the same thing once you record it?

About the same as you talking compared to your recorded voice.
Or like a picture of you compared to yourself in real life.
Only if you are in the room with the synth playing live. Otherwise, yes, once you have committed it to a digital recording, you are essentially listening to a sample of the synth.

I think a better analogy, is to compare samples and real synthesizers to movies than a picture. A picture is a static medium, where as a movie plays back a series of very specific information exactly the way it was captured.
:borg:

I think UVI sounds a bit better. I've got VV2 (got it at a very nice price since I own Falcon and I had already bought some UVI libraries) and it's very impressive sounding.

Arturia is very good as well but UVI's got a sound that is a bit more "full" and "solid" to my ears. I also use VV2 libraries inside of UVI Falcon so tweaking in many different ways is definitely possible.

Some UVI libraries like Synthox 1.5, CS-M 1.5, UltraMini etc.. also give you the ability to program your own sounds using sampled oscillators (from the synths sampled themselves). In these libraries, you can use the wide variety of presets or start from scratch with sampled saw, square waves etc...

UVI Falcon + UVI VV2 is truely some of the best stuff anybody can get on the software side for sure.

To my ears, VV sounds superior as a whole to Arturia's offerings. I do like some of Arturia's instruments, particularly the Synclavier, but most of the other instruments that I bought with the collection were only just OK to me. Arturia's GUI's though are fantastic IMO.

Why not compare Vintage Vault to IK's Syntronic instead? Both are sample based and seem to be aiming at the same users.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

quantum7 wrote:To my ears, VV sounds superior as a whole to Arturia's offerings. I do like some of Arturia's instruments, particularly the Synclavier, but most of the other instruments that I bought with the collection were only just OK to me. Arturia's GUI's though are fantastic IMO.
Their standard Arturia plugin framework is a thing of beauty. Re-sizeable, great preset management (one of UVI’s biggest weaknesses, IMO), consistent across all plugins.

braj wrote:Why not compare Vintage Vault to IK's Syntronic instead? Both are sample based and seem to be aiming at the same users.
That’s just it, the comparison is between two different philosophies, styles. Samples of vintage hardware vs emulations of vintage hardware.

I have the Arturia V Collection 6 and love it but those VV2 tracks do sound very good!

Return to “Instruments”