'Kernel memory leaking' Intel processor -- a serious cpu bug!?!

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

EnGee wrote: So, any chance that we'll use Nintendo Switch for computing?! Maybe it is the only one not affected :hihi:

And we were so close too....

https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/1/1658 ... ndo-switch

Kaine wrote:
EnGee wrote: So, any chance that we'll use Nintendo Switch for computing?! Maybe it is the only one not affected :hihi:

And we were so close too....

https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/1/1658 ... ndo-switch
Yes, I should have guessed this is coming!

If the "spectre" flaw can be applied reliably to gain access to cryptographic keys associated with core authentication on systems like blu-ray players, game systems and other hardware it means 100% of devices are vulnerable and you can just bend over and kiss your ass goodbye.

Party time for pirates.

soooo ..... what kind of real-world-usage performance hits are the patched win10 digital creatives feeling, now that you've had some time with it ?

Daags wrote:soooo ..... what kind of real-world-usage performance hits are the patched win10 digital creatives feeling, now that you've had some time with it ?
This is a very good question, I´ve tried to find out, too. How to distinguis serious problems from the harmless ones, in the world of computer?

It seems, that this, and the whole present computer culture from the point of view of the average user, is like a deep swamp.
In one hand, there are companies (or maybe we should say OS Ecosystems), on the other hand computer nerds. And in the middle the "average Joe/Shirley", who just tries to survive, and whom both the previous ones despise.

This whole "Spectre/Meldown Farce", I think, is a good (or bad) manifestation of this much bigger, cultural problem.

The average user, to whom the computer is typically just a tool to perform something, e.g. to produce music, is more or less left alone. None really cares to advice the (average) user in the language, he/she understands - the nerds have their own cryptic discourse, and the companies such a MS or Apple or Intel, create closed systems, where they have the 100 % control, with forced updates, which may jam your computer, or if you shut down your updates, you are threaten with the horrible virus infections, which breaks your computer (and its your own fault because you did not update!)

And the Ecosystems communicate to the user as they please, and when they please. Which is rarely enough, or understandable, or comes in the right time via the right media. In a word: the end-user, who pays the whole show, is just a piece a s..t in this game.

How have we ended to this? Are just sitting here, waiting for the next "meltdown", and the next, and the next, which possibly jams our computers, or even ruins the 10 000 h work you have done in a second. And its your own fault.
:party:

Daags wrote:soooo ..... what kind of real-world-usage performance hits are the patched win10 digital creatives feeling, now that you've had some time with it ?
I'd like an answer to people who've updated their Mac OS to this security fix, myself... Anyone finding reduced CPU performance in audio work on their Mac? I've thus far declined to install the security update.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

I'm still with this shit (no changes):
KB4056892.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

They have yet to produce a reliable patch for either issue. As I said before this is far beyond what the average user can understand.

This is like if it turned out the design of the "unpickable" lock is trivially picked without special tools (a hair pin?). Every lock on earth is this type of lock and it would cost trillions of dollars and decades of continuous 24/7 effort to replace them all.

It isn't even possible to replace them because we haven't come up with a lock that doesn't have this flaw yet!
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

In other words you can't really tell whether the current patches have an effect or not, let alone what patches in two or three years might be doing.

It's best to mind your business and know your place: which is probably not anywhere near worrying about this issue. It was in the mainstream news because it was a slow news week for several weeks in a row and people were getting tired of hearing trumped up stories about nothing.

Bread and circuses.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.

Thank you for your "Shut up and dribble" attitude. But your arrogance and meaningless words don't solve my problem.

You mean the problem you invented yourself and have absolutely no proof for?

Solution:
  • Back up your system and bench-mark
  • Apply the patch and bench-mark
You don't have time? Then shut up, stop worrying about nonsense that doesn't even exist and get back to work.

If you want to rely on information provided to you by others: there is a 0% measured difference in processing efficiency.

The differences don't apply to computation, they apply to task-switching for processes like virtualization or servers. Even in those cases changes have already been made to minimize the issues, which are so far outside the scope in which you use the hardware that it's like worrying about what temperature a Chinese steel mill is operating at when you're serving hotdogs at a baseball game.

By the way, current hardware also has a major flaw allowing wisps to enter by crossing over from the tenth dimension and they haven't even patched it! Don't let those wisps change the direction of free up quarks to strange quarks! OH MY GOSH!

aciddose wrote:You mean the problem you invented yourself and have absolutely no proof for?
:dog:

Are you dump or something? It keeps showing the same error! Damn how smart-ass some people are!

and by the way, you shut up! If you are only being rude, then shut up and learn how to behave! :idiot:

aciddose wrote:You mean the problem you invented yourself and have absolutely no proof for?

Solution:
  • Back up your system and bench-mark
  • Apply the patch and bench-mark
You don't have time? Then shut up, stop worrying about nonsense that doesn't even exist and get back to work.

If you want to rely on information provided to you by others: there is a 0% measured difference in processing efficiency.

The differences don't apply to computation, they apply to task-switching for processes like virtualization or servers. Even in those cases changes have already been made to minimize the issues, which are so far outside the scope in which you use the hardware that it's like worrying about what temperature a Chinese steel mill is operating at when you're serving hotdogs at a baseball game.
Why are you so angry at inquiries on this subject?
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

The issue with win10's updater isn't an error. Unfortunately that's a system-specific problem with win10's updater and they've already outlined the steps needed to solve the problem.

This unfortunately requires a lot of time/effort and is reported not to actually work in some (all?) cases.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=kb4056892+issue
https://windowsreport.com/kb4056892-issues/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMAnCgjeZ4Q
Last edited by aciddose on Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”