Do all Audio Units (macOS) require restarting now?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What is this, 1996? I hate having to restart my machine to get some installed software to work. Can someone explain to me what changed with High Sierra and if there is a way to simply scan AUs without having to restart my entire machine?

I'm on Sierra, not High Sierra and I don't need to restart the machine for AUs I've just installed to work. I would be surprised if High Sierra requires a restart. What host are you using? Usually you just restart the host.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

only yours :hihi: :oops:

Just Logout - Login from your account (Shift-command-Q).

nordickvr wrote:Just Logout - Login from your account (Shift-command-Q).
Well, at least that’s a little quicker. I still hate having to stop everything I have going just to install something.

Doesn’t happen here either... not sure why you are experiencing that, but it’s not the norm.

Happens to me, and as far as I know, it is a requirement under HS.

But how? Audio Units don't do anything outside of a host. They're just packages kept in a library folder.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Without the restart/relogin they don’t show up. Don’t know why they made this change.

dangayle wrote:
nordickvr wrote:Just Logout - Login from your account (Shift-command-Q).
Well, at least that’s a little quicker. I still hate having to stop everything I have going just to install something.
Agree.

perpetual3 wrote:Without the restart/relogin they don’t show up. Don’t know why they made this change.
They don't show up where?
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Jace-BeOS wrote:
perpetual3 wrote:Without the restart/relogin they don’t show up. Don’t know why they made this change.
They don’t show up in Live or Logic or anywhere else that uses AU plugins :neutral:

dangayle wrote:
Jace-BeOS wrote:
They don’t show up in Live or Logic or anywhere else that uses AU plugins :neutral:
Do the AU components appear in the proper folders prior to reboot? My understanding is that hosts just read what's in those folders at DAW application start. Restarting the DAW is all that should be needed.

I'm trying to understand the mechanism here, not trying to nag you. If you have a clear explanation for what's happening, I'm interested in knowing about it.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Jace-BeOS wrote:
Do the AU components appear in the proper folders prior to reboot? My understanding is that hosts just read what's in those folders at DAW application start. Restarting the DAW is all that should be needed.

I'm trying to understand the mechanism here, not trying to nag you. If you have a clear explanation for what's happening, I'm interested in knowing about it.
Yes, they’re in the directory. Nothing different from Sierra to High Sierra on that front, it’s just that they must somehow have to be entered into a registry or something (via log out/log in) before they will appear in any AU host.

In a high 98%, i do not need to log out or reboot. Some AU's require being removed and re-instanciated in the DAW. Universal Audio is the only installer that requires a reboot. I have over 1000 AU's scanned when Logic does it's update, so you might have a different issue. Since you list Logic, I'd open a case with Apple to see what they say.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”