Advice on (electronic) drum plugin. What are you using?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

For purely electronic drums (meaning synthesized and not worrying about sequencing etc.), I've been really happy with Bong by xoxos- not hard to recreate the classics, but it's a pleasure to dial in your own kits; a lot of research/thought went behind its creation, and it shows.
Music can no longer soothe the worried thoughts of monarchs; it can only tell you when it's time to buy margarine or copulate. -xoxos
Discontinue use if rash or irritation develops.

Bong is great (like most xoxos.)

i use Microtonic and Tremor. They're both synthesized, tremor has a seq but is really worthy IMO.

I will not mention Battery because it is samples.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

I use Microtonic for most kiddos snare and claps. I also use drumatic quite a bit for hats and cymbals and other random percussion noises.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Can’t believe Maschine doesn’t get mentioned more often. That’s my one stop. It has everything. And the snapshots are amazing.

I use Maschine, too. My usage is very basic (it's overkill for my needs), mainly as a simple sample player with a good controller (though it features even some internal drum synths... it's a really deep software).
It's on the expensive side (at least because the hardware controller is an added cost, compared to a completely software solution). In my opinion it's worth the price (I have a Mikro MK2, the big downside is the lack of controls compared to the bigger models).

Prior to Maschine, I used Geist (first version).

As for sample libraries, I would start by looking at Wave Alchemy and GoldBaby and then maybe add pick some specific libraries from brands like Loopmasters.

I rarely use a drum synth plugin (even though I have Attack); the ones that I rate are already mentioned in the thread... I'm more keen to use hardware for synthesis (the joy of knobs, you know...).

And then there are the classic xox drum machines... they are classics and you'll probably look at them as samples or as an emulation (unless you want to steer away from those sounds).
free multisamples (last upd: 22th May 2021).
-------------------------
I vote with my wallet.

I really like the AKAI MPC software for drums. I rarely use a controller.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

I really like Evolution from Wave Alchemy for sampled drums and Tremor from Fxpansion for synthesised stuff.

Drumatic 4
sounds great, very flexible, cheap too

Local Man wrote:Xils Stix is definitely worth checking out. It has a great sequencer, great ready made sounds, and deep programming/synthesis options. I've only used the CM version and I like it a lot. The full version adds a ton of power and flexibility but it is a little pricy, which is why I haven't taken the plunge yet.
And the good news are that a cross grade offer for the -free- CM version owners will be made in the not so far future, with a great discount.

StiX full version (from Xils site) :

StiX offers an incredible variety of drums sounds of different eras : Vintage analog drum machines, or early digital ones. And many sound of the next eras.

Combined with the most powerful and expressive XoX Sequencer.

FEATURES

Synthesis : Virtual Analog morphing oscillators, FM @ audio rate, Sine + Waveshaping, Samples, CroSS Synthesis. 4th Gen 0DF analog Filters, Macros Knobs, Step Modulators, LFOs, Unique R-Clap Evs and ADSR, exclusive PolyStep auto-modulator : A whole synthesizer to taylor each of the 10 drum sounds.

Sequencing : Variable number of steps per Beat. Per Step Divisi, Gate Time, Micro Position, Macro Modulators, Velocity. Song Mode to organize patterns.

Workflow : FAST, intuitive. XoX Sequencer Multiline and SingleLine views, Synthesis Eazy And Advanced pages. Never more than a click away from your task. Exclusive Stretch and Modal Pitch Macro Controls, Global user defined Macros controls.

Presets : 2000 presets.

And still growing.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Kick 2 for a lot of kicks. Samples for the rest.

add another one for microtonic...though now i also layer punchbox in with it.

microtonic really is a fantastic instrument even after all this time, add in patternarium and it gets even better.
ImageImageImage

Lotuzia wrote:
Local Man wrote:Xils Stix is definitely worth checking out. It has a great sequencer, great ready made sounds, and deep programming/synthesis options. I've only used the CM version and I like it a lot. The full version adds a ton of power and flexibility but it is a little pricy, which is why I haven't taken the plunge yet.
And the good news are that a cross grade offer for the -free- CM version owners will be made in the not so far future, with a great discount.
That's cool!
Any idea when?
Where did you hear that?

For "purely" synthesized drum sounds, I primarily use microtonic. I can't wait to pick up Teenage Engineering's PO-32, but have just been debating getting the one, vs the bundled metal series (which is another conversation).

Otherwise, my next favorites are Live's Operator and Live/AAS Collision.

I still use samples to enhance the sound, but if purely synthesized is the conversation then those are my go-to tools.

chaosWyrM wrote:add another one for microtonic...though now i also layer punchbox in with it.

microtonic really is a fantastic instrument even after all this time, add in patternarium and it gets even better.
+1

I forget about pattenarium sometimes, but its such a great tool. A great tool to get unstuck or to listen to something with a different beat quickly. Drag and drop midi is a bonus here too.

Goldbaby's tape treatments are also lovely (for when using samples).

My sources are pretty varied. Everything from sounds sampled from old '80s samplers and drum machines to stuff from semi-old Sony Acid libraries to sounds from Stylus RMX and Maschine. Even a few things extracted from the CD-ROMs that came with my old Samplecell II cards in the early '90s. I like having a really big pool of samples spanning different decades and mixing them together.

I just got the Maschine Mikro myself because all I really wanted was the software and content (the hardware went in the closet fairly quick). To me it was just an unwanted additional layer of complexity - I'd rather just have everything laid out in the DAW timeline. I've just never been that big on drumbox-type interfaces/control surfaces.
http://www.davidvector.com
New album, Chasing Fire, out now on Amazon, iTunes, etc.
Bandcamp: https://davidvector.bandcamp.com/releases

Return to “Instruments”