Studio upgrades need your help

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello
I would like to ask you for help to choose the right direction for studio setup. Right now I own Nord Lead 3, Komplete 10 Ultimate and Maschinke MK2.

First thing I consider to add is Novation Basstation II but question is it will add something what Nord Lead 3 cant? Is it worth it or better would be choose some other synth ? Korg MS20? Roland SH-01?

Another hardware I am thinking is to add some fx pedals to NL3 like Boss tera echo, delay and overdrive which fx pedals would you choose for more ambient/drone type of music?

Last think I consider is some sampler like electribe 2 or maybe tr-8? But if I have Maschine is it smart to get sampler??

Do you have some recommendation of your own what would be good to fill the gap in hardware to add some fresh inspiring touch?? I like to use less laptop maybe some mixer ? I have complete audio 6 as interface.

I would get an analog mono. Everybody needs an analog mono, and in the current climate, with so many inexpensive options available....you need one. The BSII is pretty good.

Is your NL3 a keyboard or rack?

How do you play your stuff? Keyboard? Pad sequencers?

I think the Minilogue has way more character than the BSII, and is even less.

What is your budget? Dreadbox is killing it, undeniably analog synth boxes, definitely sound nothing like the Nord.

I would agree about FX. For me, only certain types of hardware analogs have real benefits over software, but hitting good fx pre convertors, there is some magic there.
Logic Pro X : Prophet Rev2, Blofeld, Toraiz-AS1, Model D, Minibrute, MOTU 828x, Presonus Eris E7's, dozens of pedals

Its a great time to buy an analog mono. There's so much cool stuff around these days. I'm lusting after a Roland SE-02 ...

ignore boss pedals.

go look at earthquaker devices. the avalanche run, transmisser and afterneath. check the knobs demos on youtube. that's delay and reverb.
the ehx delays are all good too.
the strymon stuff isn't cheap but once you hear it, you kinda realise its not expensive either.

im picking up the meris reverb "mercury 7" its got some features that for me, make it amazing for drone stuff with guitar as well as synth...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16EGp8vYVas

overdrive? youll find it will be hard to narrow it down as different sounds will react differently with different overdrives, due to frequency response and shaping, eg the tubescreamer famously has a mid hump, meaning its not great for low end stuff.

Thanks for reply, I play on keyboard and then record audio to Ableton.
NL3 has keyboard.
So in my case analog mono is the way to go and what the NL3 lacks now?
So what would be the best one? Budget around max 800 euro because I would like to buy some fx pedals.
Korg Ms20 mini, Roland Se02, NBII, Dreadbox sounds cool too indeed there are too many options right now but what to choose :)

[quote="vurt"][/quote]
I must say that mercury sound awesone as the avalanche but its more expensive than Boss need to rethink about that It will be my first fx pedal

ah fair enough, wasn't sure on budget really.

but if you are just starting out with fx pedals have you looked at the boss multifx unit? its a little dearer than maybe the tera delay but it will give you tons of options, for all fx types.
then you will also get a better idea of which particular fx type you prefer. you also get amp sims on the latest one i believe.

Multi-fx is a great idea if you're on a budget. I bought a cheapo Digitech RP years ago just for its simple Whammy effect because I didn't want to pay for a proper Whammy pedal. But, it's actually had a fair bit of use for other things as well and it makes a pretty good practice / travel amp.

Similarly I pulled out my old Boss GX700 recently and was pretty pleasantly surprised. The amp sims are poor but the drives are pretty good (I think they may be direct copies of the Boss drive pedals). I've seen these on ebay for £50 which is a bit of a bargain if you ask me.

Good idea with those multieffects, which one would be the best? I found Boss ME-80 looks the best with lots of knobs ;) but is this the right one or some other?
Back to mono analog synth I found Slim/Little Phatty from Korg so the list get even bigger now ;) what do you think would be good to start with?

What do you think about plan b which is try to sell NL3 (how much is it worth now? , condition is very good) and instead of mono synth and fx pedals get something like Prophet 08 rev2 8 voices, or Nord Lead A1?

Drogtech wrote:Novation Basstation II
This would be cool. Workhorse that is not so much "in your face" like some other analog monos.

Rest of your budget you can use on something nice 8)

You should totally consider the new Behringer monos, Neutron and D. Lots of bang for buck.

And my advice would be to forget guitar multi FX unless you are a guitarist. You can pick up loads of studio multi FX rack units fairly cheaply on eBay, reverb etc. Do that instead.

But beyond that, I recently picked up one of the Behringer xair mixers. The 12 channel goes for £230. You get 4 FX slots (same FX as the x32), and the FX are really really good. Better than anything I've heard on a guitar unit. Plus a load of routing options from having a mixer. If you want to play live at any point for example. Has midi i/o. You can also record your jams on a USB stick.

A mixer like that is a pretty handy thing to have around imo.

With your budget, you def can afford some decent FX and a good mono synth. I’m a 2nd hand junkie....I buy almost everything used, and if you’re careful (only lots of good feedback or from an online store through ebay or reverb), its a safe bet and can save you loads. Wind up not liking it? Turn around and sell it at little to no loss.

Now, there are lots of multi-fx pedals out there, but you have to remember that most are not designed to handle line level instruments. Synths run hot! Some will do pretty well, and some fall apart. It depends. And some.....are designed to handle line level just fine.

The TC Electronic Nova System has been around, and has multiple digital FX as well as an analog drive, and can handle line level. They sell about $225-250 2nd hand. You’ll get multiple types of delays, reverbs, modulation, pretty much everything. Research a bit about multi-fx pedals. You may elect to get a decent delay and reverb, instead of an all-in-one. The NL3 will sound damn good through some FX as well.

As far as synths....so many good choices. Its completely silly what we have at our disposal today. The Toraiz AS-1 sounds amazing, but not much of an interface, basically a single Prophet 6 voice. The Roland SE-02 sounds about 98% as good as a Model D, plus has a sequencer, cross mod, and delay. But its teeny-tiny. Dreadbox Erebus and Nyx are both excellent, unique, and have great resale value. Could sit it right on top of your NL3, and jam away. Plus the Erebus has a delay, and the Nyx a cool reverb.

You could even get an old Mopho Keys, which is a crazy deep synth with 3 envelopes and 4 LFOs. I still think the Monologue is a damn good synth, great for the money. Since you’re in Europe....Waldrof’s are way cheaper there. I believe a new Pulse 2 is about $400, while $700 here in the US.

Lots of choices, but at least you’ve narrowed down what you want. Now find some good demoes. Good luck.
Logic Pro X : Prophet Rev2, Blofeld, Toraiz-AS1, Model D, Minibrute, MOTU 828x, Presonus Eris E7's, dozens of pedals

With that budget I would consider an Se02, Minibrute 2, dreadbox erebus, and for the fx pedal something from source audio, the nemesis delay looks great, or maybe the Roland RV500.
dedication to flying

Maybe put the money into your PC or other equipment? What monitors are you using?
Have you owned a Virus? :p

Thank you for helps!
I checked the Dreadbox NYX and with built reverb sound great for ambient drone music. But the reverb built in Dreadbox can be buy separately as fx pedals right??
The question is If I would choose NBII and add those fx pedals I would achieve the same sound from Deadrabox ? I am asking because In price of NBII I could buy 2 or 1 better FX like AvalancheRun and use it for both NBII and NL3. I also found Neunaber immerse what you think? I wont hide would be cool if Synth could save patches and I think only NBII can do that??

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”