Ribs

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

levendis wrote: If this were to be implemented, then may i suggest it happens in the background, without the need for manually hitting a 'Store' button?!
In the end this is what I most care about as well. Really needs to save with the project because we will inevitably forget to do it manually and potentially lose a lot of work. Could filling the buffer immediately create a file? I wouldn't care if clearing the buffer also removed the files from the hard drive to save space as long as the same buffer contents existed when returning to a project. This of course would depend on Ribs being able to load files directly.

Manual save would be helpful as well for building up a library of individual sample files, but for me, seamless buffer storage is critical.

All the same I'm having way too much fun with this thing! :party:

This is pretty cool stuff.

Oh, I think it is self-evident these days that a VST stores all parameters - including sample buffer and load-status - when storing a project in a DAW.

This should be implanted in RIBS necessarely. I know I was right to not install it in its current state.

Yes this is an amazing tool and I like to use it. I am even willing to pay 35 $ for it (remember Padshop Pro is out for 20 $ and it is top notch)...when it will be a completed product :)

Thanks in advance

nichttuntun wrote: (remember Padshop Pro is out for 20 $ and it is top notch)...
At Steinberg its 79,- where did you find the 20$?

Oh sorry for my false information. I own Cubase. And I just payed the upgrade price. I forgot about it. But Padshop PRO is absolutely worth the full value.

nichttuntun wrote:I think it is self-evident these days that a VST stores all parameters - including sample buffer and load-status - when storing a project in a DAW.
Nope. The amount of data for storing buffer contents =
sample rate * buffer length * number of channels * number of buffers.
Even with one buffer it is >1 000 000 numbers. The number of params on the other hand is < 150, and 150 is already a lot. The state saving is triggered by your host every time you change any parameter in a plugin. Storing buffer contents this way would
1) kill the CPU
2) make state files and DAW project files huge.

What is usually stored in granular plugins is the path to the sample file, not its contents.

Okay, thank you for the explaination :)

Sample-path storing would be great for start.

Totally. :love:
U N I S O N : shoegaze/electronic wall of sound with heavenly voice
https://soundcloud.com/weareunison / https://www.facebook.com/unison666 / https://weareunison.com/

I didn't have time to read through all of the posts in this topic, so I'm not sure someone has not mentioned this already, but here is a tip for an alternate routing method in Ableton Live (I'm using version 10) that some may find easier or more economical than the one shown in the YouTube video. This allows you to use a single track to route both audio and MIDI information to Ribs.

Steps:

1) Create MIDI track and drop an audio sample into it, creating a Simpler (or Sampler).
2) Drop Ribs in the track after this instrument.
3) Select the newly created instrument and group it (Control/Command-G), creating an Instrument Rack with the instrument in it.
4) Open the chain list of the Instrument Rack and drop in an External Instrument to create a new chain.
5) In the External Instrument, set the Routing Target in the MIDI To dropdown to the current track (which may be called Instrument Rack, for example). Below that, it should have only one option for the channel (1-Ribs), which should be selected.
6) Arm the track for Arrangement Recording, or fill in notes in a MIDI clip, and use Ribs as you normally would. MIDI will be routed to both the Simpler/Sampler (which will produce audio to feed into Ribs) and to Ribs simultaneously.

BTW I use this technique for FabFilter and other plugins, for example when I want to trigger filter envelopes on MIDI keypress events in FabFilter Volcano instead of using Volcano's built-in envelope follower (which can be a tad unreliable or imprecise), using a single track.

Bill

Hi Bill,

Is this an Ableton thing where you can drop an audio sample into a midi track or am I missing something (probably)?

Thanks,
Timbo

timboalogo wrote: Is this an Ableton thing where you can drop an audio sample into a midi track or am I missing something (probably)?
Yes, however, technically, you have to drop it into the device window of the MIDI track (by default, an empty MIDI track in Ableton will display "Drop an Instrument or Sample Here" in the device window). For some reason, if you drop it in the MIDI track itself, it will convert the MIDI track to an audio track (the reason for which is beyond me).

Bill

Now that's darned cool!

Sorry if this is covered in the thread in more detail than I caught, but I saw something about this plugin not storing settings in a project? Before downloading, I just want to confirm that if I loaded this as an effect, tweaked the settings as I want them and saved the project, and then opened it later the plugin would not have the same settings? I'm not understanding this correctly am I?

Echoes in the Attic wrote:Sorry if this is covered in the thread in more detail than I caught, but I saw something about this plugin not storing settings in a project? Before downloading, I just want to confirm that if I loaded this as an effect, tweaked the settings as I want them and saved the project, and then opened it later the plugin would not have the same settings? I'm not understanding this correctly am I?
Hi,
Ribs will save all the settings, routing and MIDI map, but will not save the buffer contents.

Hello everyone,

I'm thinking of improving the AGC algorythm some time soon because I'm not completely happy with the way it works right now. The new one will be better, but it would probably loose AGC hardness and speed params. So I'm asking you to answer a simple question in this poll here:
http://www.easypolls.net/poll.html?p=5a ... 307b1786d3

Thanks!

Return to “Instruments”