Physical modelling in 2017

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

CrystalWizard wrote:
Ed A. wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
CrystalWizard wrote:Wish i had Logic (and a Mac to run it on) so i could use Sculpture (and of course Alchemy 2).
I initially bought Logic just for Sculpture...
So did I.
Yeah but did you already have a Mac? If i did i would definitely do the same. Shame (but no surprise) apple doesn't want to share.
I went Mac mainly for Sculpture/Logic and Metasynth

Ed A. wrote:
martinjuenke wrote:+1 Chromaphone
+1 Kaivo
+1 Scupture
+1 Pianoteq
Looking forward to playing with SUMU from MadronaLabs (whatever it‘ll be)...
I absolutely agree with all of those. I might also add Physical Audio's PA3 Derailer (I'm still using their beta).
What about AAS String Studio? Some of its timbre shaping options are still unique and have not been emulated by any other PM synth. For example, what happens to the string when you release your finger? Stuff like this is where a good physical modelling engine ought to go. It shouldn't be just about nailing the main 'body' of the sound, the sound we get when it is triggered, it should also be about all the performance artefacts that happen 'around' it.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

CrystalWizard wrote:
Ed A. wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
CrystalWizard wrote:Wish i had Logic (and a Mac to run it on) so i could use Sculpture (and of course Alchemy 2).
So did I.
Yeah but did you already have a Mac? If i did i would definitely do the same. Shame (but no surprise) apple doesn't want to share.
I already used Macs so its a no brainer... Hey, Apple likes to share... with Mac users! They keep giving us amazing free Logic updates, Alchemy 2 for free, plus some excellent free software like Keynote and iBook Author etc. They just don't share with Windows users...

himalaya wrote:
What about AAS String Studio? Some of its timbre shaping options are still unique and have not been emulated by any other PM synth. For example, what happens to the string when you release your finger? Stuff like this is where a good physical modelling engine ought to go. It shouldn't be just about nailing the main 'body' of the sound, the sound we get when it is triggered, it should also be about all the performance artefacts that happen 'around' it.
I agree... it does still have some unique functions... we could easily have double the number of PM synths and not be approaching sonic saturation.

aMUSEd wrote:I went Mac mainly for Sculpture/Logic and Metasynth
Yes, me too :)

pdxindy wrote:
himalaya wrote:
I agree... it does still have some unique functions... we could easily have double the number of PM synths and not be approaching sonic saturation.
Sound wise, the AAS stuff definitely deserves to be on this list.

I recall having difficulty with the initial attack impulse in String Studio. I couldn't get rid of the model's impulse noise in the signal chain (wanting to only hear the result of said impulse). Was this ever addressed?

It was a ticking sound, if I recall correctly. I recall it was not solved by changing the envelope attack (i wanted a fast attack without a tick or click). I would post a link to my discussion about the issue at the AAS forum, but they killed the forum some years ago (a bad choice, IMO).

String Studio is on my upgrade list, but in the "maybe" column. I have the whole AAS modeling collection (all first versions except Tasman, which was my doorway drug to AAS). They're neat products. Moving to Logic X, finally, I need to buy a bunch of upgrades to get 64-bit.

I just haven't decided if I want to deal with the GUIs in AAS's products. Especially when the product I most liked was abandoned (Tassman). Even the newer versions of their products are a bit small and hard to look at (they attempted to accommodate, but didn't go far enough). I really like the visual style of the elements, just not the layout and sizes. I'd hate for them to catch the flat fad disease.

Still, great sounding modeling products. I'm sad they don't get more attention. Including by the developers ;-)
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

pdxindy wrote:
CrystalWizard wrote:
Ed A. wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
So did I.
I already used Macs so its a no brainer... Hey, Apple likes to share... with Mac users! They keep giving us amazing free Logic updates, Alchemy 2 for free, plus some excellent free software like Keynote and iBook Author etc. They just don't share with Windows users...
Sorta, but they don't share with DP, Cubase, etc. Mac users. (i have a friend with an old MBP just sitting around, it has Logic on it and maybe even MetaSynth, time to ask her nicely to borrow it. You folks are making me want to go there.)

Yes, String Studio should be recognized, it's quite excellent.
i would also like to see many more PM synths.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

Jace-BeOS wrote: Still, great sounding modeling products.(AAS) I'm sad they don't get more attention. Including by the developers ;-)
Same here.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

CrystalWizard wrote:
[...](i have a friend with an old MBP just sitting around, it has Logic on it and maybe even MetaSynth, time to ask her nicely to borrow it. You folks are making me want to go there.)
I just searched on MetaSynth... Sounds like an interesting concept, though the website doesn't fill me with confidence as to usability... and they really want a LOT of money for it!
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Jace-BeOS wrote:
CrystalWizard wrote:
[...](i have a friend with an old MBP just sitting around, it has Logic on it and maybe even MetaSynth, time to ask her nicely to borrow it. You folks are making me want to go there.)
I just searched on MetaSynth... Sounds like an interesting concept, though the website doesn't fill me with confidence as to usability... and they really want a LOT of money for it!
it is a totally unbeatable as a sound design tool...

I'm planning on picking up a BopPad in the next couple months and perhaps a used e drum kit next year.
Looking at the options for drums and percussion, Chromaphone 2 seems to be the best option at least in theory. All the various hand drum options I could play on the bop pad, as well as super responsive snare drums sounds like a lot of fun. I'll wait for a sale though as Chromaphone can be had at 50% off on sale. Strangely enough, I could only find one video of someone playing an e kit with Chromaphone. It would seem an obvious feature to sell, but maybe the market is small.
Anyone else using Chromaphone with something more than an MPC style controller?

This looks interesting - rather like a cross between Sculpture and Reaktor Prism.

https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... nthesizer/

Reason only though and pricey imho

Straight2Vinyl wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:32 pm Anyone else using Chromaphone with something more than an MPC style controller?
Thiago Pinheiro did the original Chromaphone demo. Here he's playing a kit with a keyboard:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gW4-ynTbg9M
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

Personally, I think a pure modeling approach is still not there yet. A much more sensible approach is a hybrid one, as in the case of Sample Modeling. Their strings are pretty much as controllable as the SWAM ones, but have a more realistic timbre, imo. Now, if you consider other SWAM products, such as the saxophones and woodwinds, that's an entirely different thing. The sound very good, and I still find myself using them instead of classically sampled VST.

It goes without saying, that I always play both SWAM and SM with a breath controller, otherwise you miss out on their true strength.

Bah. That new physmod synth appears to be Apple-only. It's not interesting enough to merit a MacOS virtual machine, which would cost money for the MacOS license if you can do that.

Return to “Instruments”