VST delay that can do this?:

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi folks,

Anyone familiar with the Vengeance Sound delay? It's the same one that's also built into Avenger and Phalanx.

It has a very cool "pattern" feature. In this mode (synced to host), you can, for example, have the left delay set to 8th notes, while the first right delay will only come after 5 sixteenth notes. And then then next delay will be another 5 sixteenth notes after that.
This sets up some very interesting delay effects.

Anyone know of other delay VSTs that can do this? Seems like very few offer this functionality, most being limited to synced values of 1/4, 1/8th, 1/16th etc....normal, dotted and triplets.

The Vengeance delay doesn't have any built on distortion, that's why i'm looking for an alternative.

Any ideas?

Amazon: why not use an alternative

UVI Relayer can do this.

FabFilter timeless

Our creative delay plug-in called Late Replies can do that: there are up to 100 subdivisions for the grid of the pattern section, with up to 8 replies that are then sent to two nested feedback loops, if you want to manipulate the pattern further...

Thanks, I'm gonna check that out!

Does it have delay kill (via midi or envelope triggering)?

I see it has a ducker but delay kill is a little different, it actually kills the delay when the trigger is received.

There is a simple solution:

Roku by Glitchtek

When you look at the picture, where it says 1 and 4, they both have a range from 1-16

(Actually the upper number even goes as high as 32 when the lower number is 16.)

So if you want one tap to be 1/8 and another 5/16, just drag the numbers and enjoy.

Notable extras are Single/Multi modes and Reverse.

Note: The download link posted at the KVR product page is down, but here is an alternative.

The plugin is free, but 32 bit only. (Just use a bridge in case you are on 64bit.)

Mr D wrote: Does it have delay kill (via midi or envelope triggering)? I see it has a ducker but delay kill is a little different, it actually kills the delay when the trigger is received.
You can add the included "gain" plug-in in the loops to kill the effect (it can be controlled by MIDI). Late Replies also has a side chain input that can be distributed to hosted plug-ins. So if you have a ducking plug-in with a side chain, you should be able to do the same with it.

OK, but just to be really clear: ducking a delay is different from killing it....

.....because as the volume comes back after the duck, the previous delays will still be there, where-as with actually killing the delay, the previous delays are totally gone after the kill.

Because you said to use the "gain" plugin, but i don't see how gain will kill already ringing delays.

I'm not trying to be pedantic, just curious to know what your (very nice looking) delay can and can't do!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've made an example using Vengeance Avenger (attached), which has built in midi kill in it's delay.

One MP3 is without delay, the other is with delay and midi kill.

I've used an extremely aggressive delay setting, 100% feedback, so this is an effect that would be impossible (when done with delay) without midi kill.

Is that sort of effect possible with Late Replies?
midi kill.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Yes definitely, since ducking happens AFTER the delay loops whereas delay kill happens inside the loop. I am not 100% sure if you can use the exact same process as what you use today, but you can probably achieve similar results with other methods, such as using a compressor in the effect loop.

We have done a couple of presets like this, and what happens is that incoming sound will actually duck what remains inside the loop. So if no sound comes in, the delay repeats the sound that is in the loop, and if some new material comes in, it will simply erase what was there because of the compression.

Thanks for the info, seems like a very well thought out plugin, i'm gonna give it a try!

Mr D wrote:Thanks for the info, seems like a very well thought out plugin, i'm gonna give it a try!
:tu:

I'm pretty sure the old waves mutitap delay can do it. It also can further change the pattern in the feedback stage.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Blue Cat Audio wrote:Yes definitely, since ducking happens AFTER the delay loops whereas delay kill happens inside the loop. I am not 100% sure if you can use the exact same process as what you use today, but you can probably achieve similar results with other methods, such as using a compressor in the effect loop.

We have done a couple of presets like this, and what happens is that incoming sound will actually duck what remains inside the loop. So if no sound comes in, the delay repeats the sound that is in the loop, and if some new material comes in, it will simply erase what was there because of the compression.
Hey Blue Cat,

I'm just now getting around to try this!

But i'm not really understanding what you mean. If you have a compressor inside the loop, it's just kill all audio that hits it. So it'll kill the ringing previous echo, but ALSO kills the new echo .... = no sound coming through at all (this is with a compressor set to limit and threshold -60, so a true kill).

Do you see what i mean? Can you tell me where i can find a preset like you mentioned to see how you did it?

Just a thought: you might consider posting this question their subforum if you haven't already:

viewforum.php?f=52

Return to “Effects”