Halion Sale

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
HALion 7 HALion Sonic 7 Collection

Romantique Tp wrote:If it says "All Instrument Sets" (this is a button, btw) near the MediaBay/Browser tab and you have over 3400 presets, then everything installed correctly and you're just overreacting a bit.

The oldest Halion Sonic content doesn't have macro pages. You have to click the Zone tab to edit them. If you open these old presets in Halion Sonic, the Edit tab will show something similar to the Zone tab instead of a macro page.
Thanks. Looks like I'm overreacting. I still think the installation should be tidied up but everything appears to be installed.
Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

Romantique Tp wrote:First uninstall Halion, Halion Sonic and the content. If you use Cubase, leave the Halion Sonic SE stuff alone.

All you have to do is run the Start Installation .exe in the main folder as administrator. It has the Steinberg logo.

It will give you a list of things that it will install. Click each item and make it reinstall everything. If it gives you the option to install for All Users, don't check it.

Run Halion and click the Rescan Disk button in the MediaBay tab. It looks like a reload button. Also check the Halion Library Manager program.

If the presets still don't show up, then there's probably something wrong on your side and you should consider contacting support.
Yeah i did this and it fixed it. thanks

morelia wrote:Firstly, I'm not sure there is anything wrong. Is there a way to check what should be installed. The main thing that concerned me was that there is no HALion Sonic 6 Content folder along with all the others (e.g. HALion Sonic 2 Content, HALion Sonic 3, HALion Sonic 3 Content, HALion Sonic 5 Content). Apart from that and a lot of presets with empty macro pages HALion seems fine. This could be the way it is meant to be. But without so me sort of information to check I have no way of deciphering the HALion installation maze.
You don't have to decipher anything. You SHOULD NOT mess with the individual installers. Just click Setup.exe and if you are unsure of where each thing should go, just leave everything at the default and let Setup do its thing. It's as simple as that.

Previously you should uninstall all the mess you did before. Most probably, it is just filling the hard drive without any utility. Then reinstall using Setup.exe
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:
morelia wrote:Firstly, I'm not sure there is anything wrong. Is there a way to check what should be installed. The main thing that concerned me was that there is no HALion Sonic 6 Content folder along with all the others (e.g. HALion Sonic 2 Content, HALion Sonic 3, HALion Sonic 3 Content, HALion Sonic 5 Content). Apart from that and a lot of presets with empty macro pages HALion seems fine. This could be the way it is meant to be. But without so me sort of information to check I have no way of deciphering the HALion installation maze.
You don't have to decipher anything. You SHOULD NOT mess with the individual installers. Just click Setup.exe and if you are unsure of where each thing should go, just leave everything at the default and let Setup do its thing. It's as simple as that.

Previously you should uninstall all the mess you did before. Most probably, it is just filling the hard drive without any utility. Then reinstall using Setup.exe
The mess I'm referring to is the default install. The confusion is added to by the fact that the setup document specifically lists various elements that it is installing. Yet there are other seemingly important installers that are not listed. To me that implies they are not installed. Why would they list some and not others. I prefer installations that put everything in the one place. This installer seems to make a mess to me. However, I understand if that is just my opinion. On the plus side, I am very happy with the functionality of HALion and apart from the GUI glitches in FL Studio it was a pretty good bargain.

morelia wrote:
fmr wrote:Previously you should uninstall all the mess you did before. Most probably, it is just filling the hard drive without any utility. Then reinstall using Setup.exe
The mess I'm referring to is the default install. The confusion is added to by the fact that the setup document specifically lists various elements that it is installing. Yet there are other seemingly important installers that are not listed. To me that implies they are not installed. Why would they list some and not others. I prefer installations that put everything in the one place. This installer seems to make a mess to me. However, I understand if that is just my opinion. On the plus side, I am very happy with the functionality of HALion and apart from the GUI glitches in FL Studio it was a pretty good bargain.
Did you use Setup.exe to perform the installation? Did it conclude successfully?

You don't have to perform several separate installations. You only have to perform ONE single installation, and that's it. Yes, the Setup will perform several installations, but it does it ALL by itself. The script will take care of installing everything where it should be.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:You don't have to perform several separate installations.
Yes I understand that. As I said above though, there is (possibly just to me) an implication that not everything is being installed. As there are installation folders created for previous versions of HALion (e.g. HALion 5), a HALion 6 content installer not shown in the setup program, and no folder created for HALion 6 Content I am left with a feeling of What Just Happened?

On another note, I tried to specify the install path (to have everything in one neat place) but the setup kept resetting the specified path so in the end some things went where I wanted and others into AppData. As I said, I (personally) found this installation to be shite.

morelia wrote:
fmr wrote:You don't have to perform several separate installations.
Yes I understand that. As I said above though, there is (possibly just to me) an implication that not everything is being installed. As there are installation folders created for previous versions of HALion (e.g. HALion 5), a HALion 6 content installer not shown in the setup program, and no folder created for HALion 6 Content I am left with a feeling of What Just Happened?

On another note, I tried to specify the install path (to have everything in one neat place) but the setup kept resetting the specified path so in the end some things went where I wanted and others into AppData. As I said, I (personally) found this installation to be shite.
There are things that go in AppData, but those are the presets, if I'm not mistaken. Besides, when you create your own, they will go to your user Documentts folder too. HALion spreads data all over the place, indeed.

But the content can be centralized, I have it all in another hard-drive. But you are right about HALion 5, though. Many of the content from HALion 6 was already in HALion 5, so, if you have HALion 5, HALion 6 will not reinstall that content, and will address that same folder instead (obviously).

So, if you weant a nat and clean installation, uninstall EVERYTHING related to HALion (any older HALion installations, except HALion Sonic SE, which is part of Cubase, in case you have Cubase).

Then perform the HALion 6 installation again, and define a specific folder for the content. As soon as you define a folder for the HALion Sonic 3 Content, the Setup automatically assumes that same folder for all the ohter content - you should leave it that way. HALion Sonic and HALion share the content, so, it has to be in the same place. HALion Sonic 3 content, HALion Sonic 2 content, HALion 5, etc.

If you do this, you will have your clean installation.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:Then perform the HALion 6 installation again, and define a specific folder for the content. As soon as you define a folder for the HALion Sonic 3 Content, the Setup automatically assumes that same folder for all the ohter content - you should leave it that way. HALion Sonic and HALion share the content, so, it has to be in the same place. HALion Sonic 3 content, HALion Sonic 2 content, HALion 5, etc.
This is my first HALion installation so no previous content.

That's great that defining the install location for HS3 determines the others. I fought the installer path settings for quite a while before giving up and accepting what it gave me. Shame the installation guide is so deep (sarcasm) or I would have had time to read about this.

All Steinberg installers and updaters only require a double click and clicking Next a few times to install everything.

The point of the installation guide is to let people know that for the Halion 6.1.0 update, they have to install both the update itself and the separate Halion Sonic content update, which is one more step than usual. This is obvious if you're downloading the update from Steinberg's site, but it's easy to miss if you're downloading it from the Steinberg Download Assistant.

Romantique Tp wrote:All Steinberg installers and updaters only require a double click and clicking Next a few times to install everything.

The point of the installation guide is to let people know that for the Halion 6.1.0 update, they have to install both the update itself and the separate Halion Sonic content update, which is one more step than usual. This is obvious if you're downloading the update from Steinberg's site, but it's easy to miss if you're downloading it from the Steinberg Download Assistant.
I thought of it the other way round. Using Assistant the .1 update was the first thing I saw and downloaded.

Regarding double click installing everything. As I've said a few times now the installer deliberately lists some installations. There are other installers in the Halion 6 installation file directory that are not listed. So how is anyone supposed to know that these are installed? I can accept that they are, because now I am being told that, but before now I had no way of knowing. To me the logical conclusion was that they weren't, because in my mind they would have been listed in the installer if that were the case. Anyway, it's all good. I have HALion installed, the installer sucks (only in my opinion, the rest of the world probably loves it), but it's a great product. I really like the strings and brass over my other options. All it took was unnecessary time on the internet to decipher whether the installation had gone as planned. Happy days.

Return to “Instruments”