Help me find a good compressor

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Sknote Disto or Waves Bss compressors the Bss its very underated

Fast compressors:
Sknote Disto (cheap, low cpu )
Sknote ch5 (Api strip with brilliant comp/lim)
Psp Fetpressor (classy)

Other:
Tuco
Lindell 254e
Air Windows Buttercomp
Dub it up blacker than dread

^
Wondering what classy means and why the others arent classy

Ive read negatives about the PSP compared to other FETs
Amazon: why not use an alternative

The Glue is my #1 for bus or master - then besides that I have several go-to's for clean or character: Pro-C 2, TuCo, Buster, Boz +10db, VariComp, bx_opto.... OK I'm a total comp whore :lol:

Lately I've been thinking, how many compressors does one really need.

I can think of these distinct major compression styles:
LA2A-style, 1176-style, SSL G style, elysia -style, generic

Now something like MCompressor could "maybe" do all of them, given how one can tweak any kind of curves in it. But it's not as versatile in practice. And it might not do all the "non-linearities" that the models do.

Out of what I now have, I'm not sure whether I would ever need something else than:

MJUC, elysia Alpha, Duende's GSSL.

Occasionally I use the other SSL compressors in Duende or Console 1. Nowadays I'm using more and more the Kotelnikov, because I like it and it's easy to get sound right. I consider it definitely a mix compressor though, so it doesn't replace GSSL or Alpha for me. At least not yet.

I find that something from what I listed here, fits always to something. So what I have? 3 or 4 different compressor (not counting that the MJUC has roughly 3 different versions in it). I could easily do with just Alpha or GSSL, but I happen to have both so I use both.

If you're looking for a fast attack time, Stillwell Rocket is still one of the fastest around.

Last edited by The Noodlist on Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

Ive recently discovered the free Despot compressor.
I like this very much. Has also a sidechain option.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=438580

K82 wrote:Ive recently discovered the free Despot compressor.
I like this very much. Has also a sidechain option.
x64 & x86 available

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=438580

Last edited by The Noodlist on Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

Silaris wrote:PSP Audioware FETpressor is a good option.
This! It does the FET thing very convincingly, can be super fast or super slow and let all the transients through. Plus it adds a really really nice depth to every sound you put through it. Not to mention all the bells and whistles like the sidechain filter, stepless ratio and parallel compression option on board. Try this.

Also look at U-HE Presswerk. It can do the FET thing and so much more. U-HE has a great demo policy – you can try it for as long as you want. The plugin will do vinyl crackling noises every now and then... I just got this one recently and really really enjoy all the options you have. While not being an exact copy of anything, it can sound like a lot of the classic units. And then some.

compression is best in moderate amounts.
Especially when listening on phones.
who likes the fatigue experienced
by someone taking sausage fattener
and applying max fat, squashing out all dynamic
range? that being said, just about any compressor
is adequate. i like George yohng's

http://www.yohng.com/software/w1limit.html
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

^ agree with everything you said. Also +1 for yohngs limiter
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Return to “Effects”