A new piano roll for Reason? Or just a whole new GUI already?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

:hihi: kinda "just wondering" over here...

As the computer industry moves towards higher resolution graphics, Reason is not looking so hot. Discuss?
Last edited by Grizzellda on Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Don’t know about Reasons piano roll but I can tell you that Studio One’s Midi Editor needs a complete makeover. That thing right there is a pure awful shit! lol

Well, it is MuLab that has the simple, straight-foward elegance, in my view, leaving other piano rolls struggling...

But sure, I get where you are coming from with that ol' Studio One!

Calling Mr. INTRANCER. Mr. INTRANCER to thread, please.

Discussing Reason here is like pulling teeth until Propellerheads release a new version, and the length of time in which features are eventually implemented have had a history of being excruciatingly long from my experience as a user since May of 2001. You can't imagine how long it took to get more than 16 colours to use for song sequencer clips...lol.

Put some effort into your post and elaborate on what you think is missing with the sequencer...but honestly...there's many more critical aspects of Reason that require an overhaul. Since moving to another daw...I just find Reason painful to use now...but in the scheme of things, I don't care either way... I doubt very much that I'd ever go back, but that's just me.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

THE INTRANCER wrote:Put some effort into your post and elaborate on what you think is missing with the sequencer...but honestly...there's many more critical aspects of Reason that require an overhaul.
Well, would like everything to be bigger... and colour customization would be cool. More MIDI functions, too...don't expect it to be like Cubase, but it could be better.

What are your issues?

Grizzellda wrote:
What are your issues?
There are just far too many to list, but look at the link in my other thread to see my points and illustrations from 3 - 4 years ago. Use of screen estate was and still is an issue, but screen resolution has and is becoming a bigger issue...

I asked Propellerheads if they sent a magnifying glass with a copy of Reason 10 on their FB page, you know... the one you use in the summer to burn things with using the sun....

The reply I got was to "sit closer to my screen". :lol:
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

THE INTRANCER wrote:The reply I got was to "sit closer to my screen". :lol:
I'd say you are kidding, but maybe you are not. :hihi: :lol: :hihi: :lol:

About the GUI...they have certainly got some work to do here, I think, to modernize. High resolution performance on 2K and 4k screens, for starters.

But I still think Reason is ultra cool, and I keep watching it.

Grizzellda wrote:
THE INTRANCER wrote:The reply I got was to "sit closer to my screen". :lol:
I'd say you are kidding, but maybe you are not. :hihi: :lol: :hihi: :lol:

About the GUI...they have certainly got some work to do here, I think, to modernize. High resolution performance on 2K and 4k screens, for starters.

But I still think Reason is ultra cool, and I keep watching it.
I'm not joking as in what I asked ( I'd take a screenshot and post it, but the reply is incomplete and isn't loading from the communication box to show the rest of it, but I think they knew I was having have laugh, given the reply they sent... :lol:

Reason is a cool program...I wouldn't have invested so much time and money into it for as long as I have if it wasn't, you can get completely lost in it and learn a lot which provides a foundation for building more advanced things with programs like Reaktor in the future... but it's like out growing your old shoes or / and replacing it with a new car with a finely tuned engine.

Rewire is there, but using that couldn't be further from my mind in the creative musical process I've found. I really disliked the workflow implementation in Reason 8, it was like.... we're going to give you this new feature and that new feature, but we're going to hold one arm behind your back at the same time and break a bunch of things you used before... from that point on... it was the end of the road... and there should be no surprise from where I moved to next...

I'm just dipping my toes back in Reason now, and regarding the piano roll, what I would really like is:

- 'fold' like functionality ala Live
- snap to scale

Otherwise I'm OK with it. I agree about Studio One's piano roll though, I never enjoyed working with that when I owned it.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

braj wrote:- snap to scale
Agree...SONAR an Studio One have this, and SONAR has many more scale types.

Sure, I would love for Reason to have this feature, at least as well developed as it is in SONAR. A great feature request!

Grizzellda wrote:Well, it is MuLab that has the simple, straight-foward elegance, in my view, leaving other piano rolls struggling...
Not the case with FL Studio's piano roll - by many the best one out there.

Right, well I know Fruity has some pleasant qualities. What I like about MuLab is colour and contrast options, and zooming, making the notes quite large. Cubase is nice too.

Wow, this thread is stagnating! ...it is falling behind numerous other Reason threads... :hihi: :lol: Can it be re-booted?

Then what about all those small knobs, the dreary 1980's style video game graphics, that uninspiring piano roll, etcetera, etcetera.

The application simply needs a better GUI.

Now there is a $99.00 upgrade...

Hey, maybe they want to get as many users on the main version of Reason because a really cool update is coming? :shrug: A real makeover! And then the price will be like $449.00 or something? :hihi: :lol:

OR WAIT....... subscription? :hihi: ...Ha!

Grizzellda wrote:The application simply needs a better GUI.
It really depends on what you mean exactly by this. If you want it to move to a completely different style, like Live, Bitwig, Studio One or Cubase, etc. then I'd hope it never happens because the way Reason looks - and as a result, how it works - is it's main stand out feature and a selling point. Reason without the "hardware" devices, mixer and patching cables is NOTHING.

Having said that, it's about time the GUI gets a refresh, with re-drawn devices compatible with 4K and high-DPI screens, more freedom in arranging the windows on single screen (eg. side be side, instead of on top of each other), ability to resize / zoom the areas independently, in-rack graphical integration of VSTs, etc.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”