Fighting Age, i.e. What Should I Like Now?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

vurt wrote:i went to school with a kid, by the time wed left school his entire record, tape and cd collection consisted of music written hundreds of years before we where born.
he couldn't understand why the rest of us would listen to what he heard as noise, which was everything from the beatles through to the grindcore stuff.

what i liked about him, although he didn't enjoy what we played he wouldn't sit and moan about it, instead he would passionately explain why he liked something, a particular piece or movement.

as much as i rag on coldplay, id rather hear someone telling me with passion why they like that, than using the same passion to tell me why something else is shit.

ie like what you like and f**k everyone else but allow them to do the same.

vive la difference!

like it vurt :) good post
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

Get off my lawn :x
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

morelia wrote:Just one thought I have is that you spend a lot of time/effort/money finding your audience and getting a share of the market. There is some risk to that by changing your sound.
Not denying that there's some truth to this statement, but I do think that you wouldn't want to get too stale either. Bands that "play it safe" all the time grow to be boring, a prime example of this being the Finnish metal band Kotiteollisuus. Literally almost all of their songs sound the same - same tempo, same drum beat, probably even the same damn key!

Ultimately, it's a good idea to slowly expand your sound instead of changing it drastically, though even that will inevitably alienate a small portion of your fanbase.
My solo projects:
Hekkräiser (experimental) | MFG38 (electronic/soundtrack) | The Santtu Pesonen Project (metal/prog)

edit: shit, edited wrong post.Was trying to requote my original, not change it.

Never mind.
Last edited by samsam on Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:35 am, edited 3 times in total.

No, I love music. I don't like disposable product. I don't like fake. I don't have to defend my taste any more than you do. I love everything from Renaissance to Classical, to some jazz, blues, early rock n' roll to progressive rock. The era from 1963-1977 is what I am most passionate about.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

There was no 'taste' to defend, really, your post was basically ust criticising stuff.

Of course, enjoy what you like.

A part of 'taste' is knowing what I don't like. All my favourie bands were gone by the mid-80s. Corporate conglomerations bought out more and more FM radio stations and homogenized their playlists. Genesis had jumped the shark, and the David Bowie of 'Ziggy' 'Diamond Dogs' and 'Low' was now singing 'Let's Dance.' He jumped the shark for me, too, by that point.

The kicker being, no one emerged with the talent and vision to take the place of the music I loved, let alone transcend it.

By the mid-70's, I used to wonder 'who will be the next Beatles?' 40+ years later, it still hasn't happened, and it never will.

No one will ever pull off what Pink Floyd did, either, or Led Zep.

The music I love is sacred to me. So, please forgive me if I take exception to your comment.

I used to hate disco, as well, but at least it was live un-autotuned singers and actual musicians making it. I've come to appreciate it, over time.

Genres like rap/hiphop, EDM, metal, are all valid forms of musical expression. They simply don't resonate with me. Their affectations don't resonate with me, either.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

you don't like metal, hip hop or lego?
man, i couldn't imagine a life so empty :o

:P

Although some people might be offended by my statement, I would say that most modern music has become disposable. Music by, for example, Justin Bieber or Lady Gaga to me is throw-away plastic pop with no value and with no artistic craftsmanship inherent in its writing.

Take songs like "Child in time", "Bat out of hell", "Bohemian Rhapsody" or "Eloise", just to name a few. None of those Rap or Pop "composers" would even get anywhere near the creation of such masterpieces.

Yes, I'm outdated and unfashionable with regard to my musical taste. While I do like some of the new music that's played on the radio, I don't like most of it, for the reasons stated above.

And basically, my music taste got stuck in the '80s. But I really couldn't care less! Apart from classical music, nowadays I mostly listen to the same stuff I used to listen to back in the '80s - which is my own songs. :)

Skorpius wrote:Although some people might be offended by my statement, I would say that most modern music has become disposable. Music by, for example, Justin Bieber or Lady Gaga to me is throw-away plastic pop with no value and with no artistic craftsmanship inherent in its writing.
but hasn't that been the case with most pop since the creation of pop?
even the beatles, their first records are bloody awful lyrically.

this is using pop to describe a style rather than a shorthand for "popular".

vurt wrote:you don't like metal, hip hop or lego?
man, i couldn't imagine a life so empty :o

:P
I thought I already told you:

GET OFF MY LAWN, PUNK! :x
-Martin Luther King Jr.

:lol:

im sat in your lawn chair too :P

Skorpius wrote:Take songs like "Child in time", "Bat out of hell", "Bohemian Rhapsody" or "Eloise", just to name a few. None of those Rap or Pop "composers" would even get anywhere near the creation of such masterpieces.
They all pale in comparison to the genius that is 'Trapped In The Closet' :shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFosUj6 ... E56D446962

:hihi:

It's hard to laugh and force barf at the same time....
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”