Studio upgrades need your help

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The Dreadbox Nyx reverb is a slightly less featured version of the Crazy Tube Circuits Splash mk3.

As to whether its "the same" as BS2 + the pedal, for a number of reasons the answer is no. Nyx is quite a quirky synth with some unusual features and workflow. But it's also more limited - BS2 is more of a flexible all rounder.

I personally love the way the Nyx sounds and am intrigued by its options but for me it isn't the right choice as a first or only mono analog. It's quite a niche synth, relatively speaking and it probably isn't the best value for money option (though that is subjective).

If you want a reverb pedal, I'd also suggest looking into Eventide and Strymon offerings.

Drogtech wrote:Thank you for helps!
I checked the Dreadbox NYX and with built reverb sound great for ambient drone music. But the reverb built in Dreadbox can be buy separately as fx pedals right??
The question is If I would choose NBII and add those fx pedals I would achieve the same sound from Deadrabox ? I am asking because In price of NBII I could buy 2 or 1 better FX like AvalancheRun and use it for both NBII and NL3. I also found Neunaber immerse what you think? I wont hide would be cool if Synth could save patches and I think only NBII can do that??

The reverb in the Nyx is excellent, but mono. It is NOT inexpensive bought alone. Its called the Splash MK3 made by Crazy Tube Circuits, also a Greek company like Dreadbox.

https://crazytubecircuits.com/splash-mkiii

Also comes in stereo (I want it...), but costs even more.

https://crazytubecircuits.com/splash-stereo

I do not agree that the BSII will sound like the Nyx. Completely different synths. The BSII is a fine DCO analog synth loaded with modern MIDI features, whereas the Dreadbox stuff is very much ALL analog signal path with patch points, VCOs, and dirty filters.

If you like what you’re hearing from Nyx, you could do a lot worse. What kind of music are you in to creating? It can do bread and butter stuff, but really shines with more esoteric stuff, and those big reverb-y drones.

Yeah, whenever you add patch storage, while you’re getting that feature its adding digitalness to an analog synth, which is fine, they all have their pros/cons. I’m not a performer, I make a patch, record, and move on. It just depends how you work.

Another you may want to consider is the Novation Circuit Mono Station. Its very similar to the BSII engine, but with built in sequencer, its duophonic so you can sequence each oscillator independently should you choose, as well as sequence other MIDI or CV synths with it. The sequencer is really pretty nifty though it has some shortcomings comlared to the BSII in that there is only one envelope. Has a few distortion modes as well, and pretty deep mod matrix.
Logic Pro X : Prophet Rev2, Blofeld, Toraiz-AS1, Model D, Minibrute, MOTU 828x, Presonus Eris E7's, dozens of pedals

Thank you all, I think I will go either BSII or Dreadbox NYX (will check how NB2 sound at local store unfortunately they dont have NYX but if I will like it then probably will get NB2) and get 1 or 2 fx pedals depends of synth choice.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”