Fighting Age, i.e. What Should I Like Now?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

if there had been a midget hiding under the sink in bohemian rhapsody it would probably still be number one.

I'm around the typical "mid-life crisis" age; no toupee/mistress/red sports car urges have presented themselves, fortunately. I've always listened/liked to whatever happened to rub me the right way regardless of genre, but actively listening to "current" radio did pretty much drop off 25 years ago, other than the occasional long car trip, etc. The Intertubes has helped me at least dip my toes into whatever's floating the young uns' boats now and again- sometimes a pleasant surprise to discover, sometimes wryly amusing.

Region-specific style/identity in music has of course been vanishing steadily, as there are no longer boundaries to influence, video tutorials for anything are easily available, and the wave propagation cycle of trend/subversion occurs much faster. Since I'm not employed in any position that requires staying focused on what 14-to-24-year-olds are listening to, it doesn't bother me too much if I'm not at the bleeding edge.
Music can no longer soothe the worried thoughts of monarchs; it can only tell you when it's time to buy margarine or copulate. -xoxos
Discontinue use if rash or irritation develops.

Having experienced 6 and a half decades of music I find myself enjoying quite a diverse selection of artists and genres. I won't bother to list them because I could care less what others think. So it follows they have a right to their likes and dislikes. One thing I discovered is exposure important in broadening your listening horizons (if that's what you want). Otherwise tune it all out and accept the boundaries of your taste. Exposure for me usually came as a result of lack of choice. You know like when you are someplace (like a job) where you have no control over the radio or selection your co-workers listen to. Sure there were plenty of songs I disliked but usually there'd be a few that caught my fancy. Then there's random selection. I have been introduced to many new artists through I Tunes free singles. I even credit TV's Good Morning America's concert series for turning me on to a few current artists. To sum up I am not preaching to you...just saying give it a chance.

Some say there is no way to determine what one "should" or "ought"... from any "is". I don't buy into that kind of psychological warfare bullshit, so it's obvious you "should" like whatever it is you experience wellness, joy, edification, peace (etc) hearing (musically). I'm not sure how it's possible to continue doing this if one does not ever venture outside of musical comfort zones, though. One need not listen to something one utterly fails to enjoy to do this. If listening to current Top 40 always produces maximal sonic misery for a person, there's no point in doing it. Others have already suggested ways of finding "similar artists" and so on.

I simply find it impossible to not like something about almost anything musical, from ancient tribal chants to Bach to Metallica, even to Justin Beiber (yes... I actually enjoy his singing, not so much the songs themselves) so I don't really know how to help you other than to suggest a way of randomly exploring. Like meditation, just click on stuff without judging. Maybe pay attention to the experience of aversion to whatever it is you're listening to and just sort of become interested in the feeling of disgust (if it's there). Or if you find something you've never heard, and there are those little goosebump moments... just revel in it.

vurt wrote:if there had been a midget hiding under the sink in bohemian rhapsody it would probably still be number one.
:hihi:

Aleatoriac wrote:Some say there is no way to determine what one "should" or "ought"... from any "is". I don't buy into that kind of psychological warfare bullshit, so it's obvious you "should" like whatever it is you experience wellness, joy, edification, peace (etc) hearing (musically). I'm not sure how it's possible to continue doing this if one does not ever venture outside of musical comfort zones, though. One need not listen to something one utterly fails to enjoy to do this. If listening to current Top 40 always produces maximal sonic misery for a person, there's no point in doing it. Others have already suggested ways of finding "similar artists" and so on.

I simply find it impossible to not like something about almost anything musical, from ancient tribal chants to Bach to Metallica, even to Justin Beiber (yes... I actually enjoy his singing, not so much the songs themselves) so I don't really know how to help you other than to suggest a way of randomly exploring. Like meditation, just click on stuff without judging. Maybe pay attention to the experience of aversion to whatever it is you're listening to and just sort of become interested in the feeling of disgust (if it's there). Or if you find something you've never heard, and there are those little goosebump moments... just revel in it.
What I occasionally do is listen to an 'indie' site streaming, where there is the gamut of the good, the bad, and the utterly ugly. Which is why I only do it occasionally...

If I want 'new' music these days, I'll look for classical works I haven't heard before.

Our place is a 'Bieber-free zone.'
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

then, there are some things i know are compositionally excellent, skilfully played by amazing musicians. and i can appreciate it for that.

but id rather hear the shaggs given a choice :shrug:

music is a strange mistress :ud:

I did not know that Elton John was an electronic musician. He is older, than some of us anyway.

his hair is kept on by some electronic means perhaps?

Just poking a little fun at
Also, older electronic musicians are often isolated, and particularly from younger musicians, so its important to collaborate. Elton John gave a nice interview about how he has always collaborated...
Anyway, f**k Bob Seger.

jancivil wrote:Just poking a little fun at
Also, older electronic musicians are often isolated, and particularly from younger musicians, so its important to collaborate. Elton John gave a nice interview about how he has always collaborated...
Anyway, f**k Bob Seger.
Who's Bob Seger?

someone in the original post here the original poster do not want to be like

his music is used to sell pickup trucks

edit: never mind, sounded too harsh.

In response to the thread: I can only really be bothered with new music, rarely listen to old stuff, even though I'm getting on myself. Doesn't mean it didn't move my world then. Just, you know, always exciting to find new stuff.

Spotify rules my music world, beautiful

Yesterday discovered Answer Code Request, great techno stuff!!!

I'll have to Google Bob Segar.

I'm 46. I like some of the music from my childhood more now than I did then. I've always had eclectic and frankly weird tastes though. I've disliked nearly all pop since the 90s, but there's still really good music out there being made that isn't pop.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”