I'm trying to use different instruments in Kontakt 5 in different tracks in Studio One 3 Help!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi! I've got a situation that has me stumped for the moment. I'm trying to use different instruments in Kontakt 5 plugin, in different tracks, in the same song, in Studio One 3 Pro.

For Example, Kontakt 5 with a bass guitar in track 1, Battery 4 in track 2, Giant piano in track 3, ect.
What happens is that each track reverts to the latest instrument I install. I assume there's some way to use
the Kontakt plugin as I've described but I'm probably missing something. Is there anyone who can shed some light on this? I'll thank you in advance!

Wabbit

Can you describe the steps you are taking?

Do any of these tutorials help?

Step 1: I load kontakt 5 into an instrument track. Then, I load a bass guitar as the instrument that Kontakt 5 is playing. I create a bass midi track for the bass to play. it's all good.
step 2: I load Kontakt 5 into a second instrument track. I then load Battery 4 into Kontakt as the instrument that is playing in Track 2. I create a drum midi track for battery 4 to play. It all SEEMS good!

The problem is this: When I load Battery 4 into Kontakt in track 2, it also loaded into track 1, replacing the bass guitar I had previously loaded there. Now I have Battery 4 in track 1 playing the midi notes that were written for the bass guitar AND playing in track 2 the midi notes it's supposed to be playing, as drums Not good!

Maybe I'm delusional. I thought that you could load different tracks with Kontakt 5 in them with different instruments in each of the tracks.
Do I have some switch activating a " only allow the same instrument in all tracks" or something? Am I an idiot? Yes, I know that. It's probably some dumb simple thing I'm doing wrong but I sure can't figure it out. Help me, mamma!

Im not a Kontakt user, but why are you loading Battery into Kontakt? Have you tried simply loading Battery onto a track instead?

Yeah, you should load Kontakt and Battery to different tracks in your (VST)-host. Then in your host you can program notes as usual but on different tracks, then you can swap Kontakt for some other synth-vst and have it play the notes from that track.

I was just using Battery as an exmple. The point is the fact that when loading a second instrument in a second track, the first instrument in track one also changes. Is that normal and how it's supposed to be? I thought the that one of the features of a program like Kontakt 5 was being able to load various instruments in different tracks. Am I all wet?

dunno about studio one but i use kontakt in samplitude with different instruments on different tracks. so maybe its in studio ones preferences? some box or other to tick or untick?

Did you create one of the tracks containing Kontakt by right-clicking the other then clicking 'Duplicate Track (complete)'? I've found that it sometimes (always?) sets up two Instrument tracks sending MIDI to the same instance of Kontakt, or whichever VSTi I'm using.

If you open the Console then click the Instr button, you can check how many actual instances of Kontakt you have.

Try this:
1) Drag Kontact from the browser onto an empty spot to create a new track
2) Drag Kontact again from the browser onto an empty spot to create a second new track

You should be able to modify whatever you want for Track 1 without it affecting Track 2.

My guess is you are somehow only loading one instance of Kontact and assigning both tracks to it. . . hard to tell from your description. If you want to give more detail as to exactly what you are doing then it might be easier to diagnose if you're doing something wrong.

I am Going to the "track" Heading up above and then hitting " Load new instrument track" in the pull down Menu. I'll try dragging Kontakt from the browser and creating an instrument track that way and see if that works. These are all good ideas and I think I'm probably just doing something wrong along these lines. Hope so. anyway.

kingsknight wrote: The problem is this: When I load Battery 4 into Kontakt in track 2, it also loaded into track 1, replacing the bass guitar I had previously loaded there. Now I have Battery 4 in track 1 playing the midi notes that were written for the bass guitar AND playing in track 2 the midi notes it's supposed to be playing, as drums Not good!
What is the MIDI channel assignment per each 'track'?

There are two approaches here: Kontakt instantiated for each use, and here the Kontakt instrument is all you need to worry about as it's just the one. Omni is not what you want if you're going to proceed with more instances; you need to specifically match its channel number with the track's ch. number assignment.
(Or, one Kontakt used as a Multi, IE: multitimbral instance (for more than one instrument typically with various channels). Here, the Multi (.nkm) uses Omni (aka All) while the Instruments populating it have individual channel assignments within it.)
Having Omni for each of these Kontakt Instrument (.nki) instance's assignment would give the result you describe.

It sounds like you are deleting one instrument when you add a new one. All of the instruments need to be open in Kontakt. I would watch some of those tutorials that Garryknight linked to get the correct routing. It is all in the routing and opening the right version of Kontakt that can do multiple input/outputs. I've done it in ProTools but not in Studio One.

That did it! I dragged Kontakt from the Browser console and created a new instrument track. It now lets me load a new instrument in Kontakt without changing any of the Kontakt content in tracks I already had made.
Thanks everyone for all your help! I actually have some hair left, too! :-)

Yay! Congrats.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”