Can You Use Multiple MIDI Controllers At Once?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Can I hook up multiple MIDI controllers (same kind and different kind) to my computer at the same time, or will my computer and/or DAW likely get confused and throw a fit over it?

I do that since centuries. Why should that be a problem? My setup consists of 8 to 10 controllers all hooked up. I can't imagine making expressive music without them...

No problem, mate. I have 3 controllers in my room and can turn them on and off antime without any issues.

We once connected 2 instances of Push to one laptop and it worked like charm, with different mappings for each.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Two different kinds - if talking usb from a keyboard that create a virtual midi port - or having midi din connectors that keyboard is connected to.

Experience I've had is that class compliant stuff work well, different brands- and multiple at the same time.
But as soon as multiple of same model you start getting issues - unless separate midi drivers from that vendor.

So talking a bit about midi interfaces to usb a bit below.

I have one EMU xmidi 2x2 and two xmidi1x1 - and all was ok until I needed the second xmidi1x1.
Windows could not see a difference and all became crap due to same name on both of same kind.
You could rename in daw, but next time you start computer same hazzle.
One xmidi 2x2 and one xmidi 1x1 was fine though.
EMU made drivers for this - then it worked - but still very buggy strange freeze of computer if just unplugging when loosing contact with daw.
So uninstalled those drivers, horrible stuff. I mean real freeze - only hardware power for 10s and power down computer worked.

So got a iConnetivity Mio2 - beside the xmidi 2x2 instead. And works fine - all class compliant and not needing separate drivers. But their support told me they have made drivers for Windows if needing to run two of the same. Mac does not need dirvers for that.

If you've got midi din connectors in place that work - all your keyboards will too if having those connectors.

So the crucial part is if usb only from keyboard. I never use those, since manufacturers don't pay enough attention to that part. I have a librarian for a KingKorg - and those midi drivers are so buggy I just avoid it for daw use, just for librarian.

Separate midi interfaces to usb - if not class compliant you need drivers but can also expect those to be updated better - since that is the core product. Synths and usb midi are not attended to as much - since main product is not the midi interface.

I never faced any of those problems. I probably never bought crappy hardware. Class compliant interfaces are around since OS 9 days... Ah, and never touched Windows...;-)

Tj Shredder wrote:I never faced any of those problems. I probably never bought crappy hardware. Class compliant interfaces are around since OS 9 days... Ah, and never touched Windows...;-)
Yes, it seems that Windows is worse in this sense.
But having PC's since mid 80's it's in the backbone, kind of.
And works really well in general.
But Mac has been more multimedia aware since start - so have some advantages.

It's later years that a went towards more hardware, and ditching VST synths as far as possible - that I needed more midi ports - and problems/limitations in Windows started to arise though. Not daisy chaining through midi thru - but individual ports to each device.

Own experience, and some at Steinberg forum as well - had timing and other issues with midi when synths own usb interface are used. And work more consistent if using proper midi din devices instead.

At least if having issues try that option.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”