Cakewalk is dead. Long live Cakewalk!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
REAPER SONAR SONAR Platinum

Their current offering https://www.bandlab.com/creation-features

They won Microsoft "Start-up Partner of the Year Award 2016"

chk071 wrote:I wonder how popular online DAW's really are. Not much of a fuss about them, is there?
There might be for their existing demographic, though. Like I just said, their brands dont seem to be Europe/US focussed.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

It's good news that it lives in some form or as it is, we will all be keepimg an eye what comes of this.

If it is just picking up where things left off that's good and maybe better. I suspect they will try not to rock the boat and tear it to pieces for their own existing platform. They need to generate sales and that is already there from those waiting for this news.

The Desktop platform is getting to look like CD's and Casettes slowly fadimg into the sunset i'm afraid.

nvm
Last edited by el-bo (formerly ebow) on Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Interesting news.... but for me my only interest is if I get to continue using the products without any new costs. If there is any cost associated with the products that I already paid for I would have zero interest. The only product I really care about is Z3TA+ 2 which is a great synth. As far as Sonar goes I don't really care one way or the other, I have already moved on to a new main DAW which I am super happy with(Studio One 3) and I also have my rarely used secondary DAW(Live 9). I really only keep Sonar installed for the plugins the come with it that are not "Sonar only" plugins - but I am sure I could live without those too as I have plenty of others to choose from. I will keep an eye on this if only for the sake of nostalgia.

This just in they are working on a solution for Lifetimers:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/m/tm.aspx?m=3730905

:tu:

"Free crossgrade to the future flagship product". Could be anything though, that new flagship product..

And lifetime won't probably stay lifetime afterwards.

Yep, still sceptic to the bone :hihi:
Last edited by Nielzie on Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

This statement from the announcement is notable:
our steadfast goal is that former SONAR owners (of all versions) will not need to spend any money to cross-over/cross-grade to the future flagship product.
satYatunes - Sound and Graphic Designer
Beautiful UI and skins for VST plugins.
Website | Portfolio

satYatunes wrote:This statement from the announcement is notable:
our steadfast goal is that former SONAR owners (of all versions) will not need to spend any money to cross-over/cross-grade to the future flagship product.
But as I said, it doesnt say thát much either.

We'll have to wait. It's better than nothing though :)
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

Nielzie wrote:"Free crossgrade to the future flagship product". Could be anything though, that new flagship product..
He clarified this later in the thread - still Sonar, but they are not yet sure whether it will still be named/branded that way.

chk071 wrote:I don't know what to make of this... will they be employing the Cakewalk developers also then? Sounds to me as if they will go on developing Cakewalk's products themselves.

Oh, wait, they actually stated that in the FAQ's:
Will anyone from the original Cakewalk development team be joining BandLab?

Absolutely. More details will be shared soon.
Actually, the former Cakewalk CTO and Senior Software Engineer has been hired:

https://www.soundonsound.com/news/cakewalk-sonar-lives
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Really happy to hear this. Hopefully there will be no bad surprises. Going by his post in the Cakewalk forum, it sounds like we will get the benefit of ownership of current or older versions, which is totally fair. Lifetime upgrades of a product is not something a company can really do and stay in business. So I would expect to pay something when the product upgrades. Just not full price. :)

lfm wrote:I suspected as much - Cakewalk are too many good products to disappear for good.

But is it just some plugins/synths - or Sonar as well?
I understand it to be ALL Cakewalk software and source code.

"BandLab Technologies today announced the acquisition of certain assets and the complete set of intellectual property of Cakewalk Inc. from Gibson Brands."

It's interesting to note that BandLab had also recently acquired the Harmony and Teisco guitar brands. Maybe there's hope for Gibson?

Kind of disappointing as I was hoping they would be picked up by Microsoft. But I guess now Sonar won't get Microsoft Mixed Reality headset support and ability to import 3D models from Paint3D. It would have been cool to make music in VR.
No signature here!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”