First commercial ITB Track ever?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

Could someone tell me then the first ITB Tracks were released?

Hello,
The answer is somewhere 'during the last number of years'.

How ITB are you talking?
Are all instruments used only to be software synths etc?
Was no processing other than that in a DAW allowed? (What about hybrid setups?).
How would you know for sure if a track had no OTB mixing on it?

How successful was the commerically released track?
If a tune was released commercially but flopped, would you know about it?
If someone gave you the name of a random tune now, how would you be able to prove they are correct or incorrect?

And so on...

You are absolutly right. It´s hard to say, when the first real computerbased and commercial track was released. I thought there are similar historyfacts like the first Disco or techno track. And someone independent should research this ,,digital revolution´´ but maybe it´s to early because we are all still involved in this process.

Late 90's I would think ... mebbe 2000.
Last edited by thecontrolcentre on Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Early Max Martin/Dr. Luke Top 40 pop songs were actually fairly innovative in this regard. "Since U Been Gone" by Kelly Clarkson, from the early aughts, was one of the first to notably have been mixed and produced ITB.

Mattt12345 wrote:You are absolutly right. It´s hard to say, when the first real computerbased and commercial track was released. I thought there are similar historyfacts like the first Disco or techno track. And someone independent should research this ,,digital revolution´´ but maybe it´s to early because we are all still involved in this process.
Yep, it is an interesting topic for sure. I expect you're right about distance being needed to answer some of the questions about the digital revolution ably. No doubt some answers will evade us even then.

I agree with TCC that the late 90s is a fair bet for the first ITB record to have been released, given the changes in technology and software at that time, but it will be hard to pin down any definitive first one.
Ultimately, a question has to be whether people would care enough at the time if a song (an end product) was made ITB or OTB, compared to whether the music was deemed to be the first of a new style (eg, the first disco record). I can see a producer, music journalists or scene aficionados wanting to highlight a particular record as creating or leading a new musical style, eg disco. Much more than a producer staking a claim upon a technical process for creating end products, even when ITB mixing was new - though I might be wrong.

Also, if someone (a bad person, for sure!) had produced/released a record OTB by themselves in say 1998, they might subsequently claim to have done so purely ITB if they felt there was some value in this! How far would someone else be able, or willing(!) to dispute this?
So reliability and validity for your thread question, as well as facts, are the issue.

i remember there being some buzz around white town : your woman, which reached number one early to mid 90s in the uk

vurt wrote:i remember there being some buzz around white town : your woman, which reached number one early to mid 90s in the uk
Wikipedia says it was mixed on an Atari ST in 1997.

thecontrolcentre wrote:
vurt wrote:i remember there being some buzz around white town : your woman, which reached number one early to mid 90s in the uk
. later than i thought.
i just remember certain publications saying it was the end of music :hihi:

yup, that's what hal was tipping his hat too in space odyssey.
figurative hat obviously, computers don't wear hats.

---
Last edited by Chapelle on Sat Oct 07, 2023 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ricky Martin - Livin' la Vida Loca.

thecontrolcentre wrote:
Pretty sure the main tracks were on an 8 track cassette unit, Jyoti used to be (maybe still is?) on the SOS forums and mentioned it.

jupiter8 wrote:Ricky Martin - Livin' la Vida Loca.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :party:

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”