Roli Seaboard Block is there

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I can't find any info on what will not work with a non-MPE vst ?
Can't I use the midi-learn function of vsts to link the pressure or gliding to some knob ?

violetcitron wrote:I can't find any info on what will not work with a non-MPE vst ?
Can't I use the midi-learn function of vsts to link the pressure or gliding to some knob ?
Sure you can, but it will be sent to all voices and not just the key its associated with, if the synth is not MPE. Especially for pitch bends it can be frustrating. I developed a playing technique on the LinnStrument to release all other fingers before gliding. That is still very expressive...

So I finally got to use my Roli block songmaker kit. It was delivered on time, just never got a chance to break it open until today.

This is a quality piece of gear, and it's nice to have the magnetic case with it, plus a full license for Equator, which sounds great!
I had tried the seaboard rise in a shop, and the block keyboard feels and reacts just the same.

Overall impressed with the control possibilities, but one major gripe, and that is the apparent lack of MIDI over Bluetooth on Windows. And I can't seem to download the Noise app for Android. This seems a IOS - geared device. Though it works perfectly over USB and I just started testing it in Bitwig.

The lightpad M is pretty cool, very responsive, makes a great drum pad. I haven't really explored the loop module yet.

But yeah, this is fun! Really looking forward to perfecting the keyboard technique, and I'm already thinking to expand.

So I've had the weekend to play with the Roli blocks and I'm hooked. Seriously blown away by the expressiveness, so much so that I went out an bought a second seaboard block to extend the keys to 48. Works out cheaper than a Seaboard 49, is totally portable, and suits my tiny hand better :)

Equator is really cool, though I thought there would be more presets . Still, I can roll my own, and I've also been testing with other synths such as Kaivo in Bitwig - immense possibilities here.

A bit miffed that I can't install Noise on my Android phone - only works on Google Pixel phones, which I don't have. Maybe it's time to get an ipad.

Overall though, really happy with this purchase.

stimresp wrote:
Equator is really cool, though I thought there would be more presets . Still, I can roll my own, and I've also been testing with other synths such as Kaivo in Bitwig - immense possibilities here.
Make sure that you download all the additional presets. In Equator, open the browser, then click on the 'Online' option in the top left corner. Then download all the extra presets which should show now in the panel on the right.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

himalaya wrote:
stimresp wrote:
Make sure that you download all the additional presets. In Equator, open the browser, then click on the 'Online' option in the top left corner. Then download all the extra presets which should show now in the panel on the right.
Great! Thanks!

I am very interested in buying this product because synths have more possibilities than a 'normal' keyboard can ever cover.
But, as I have really bad experience with Keith McMillen's QuNexus which is unuseable, I would like to know for certain that this Seaboard Block works with Cubase9.5 and 3d part plugins like Aalto and Kontakt inside of it.

Could anyone please confirm?

Thanks!
Windows 7, Cubase 9.5 and some extra plug-ins | Takamine EN-10C and PRS Mira

ErikH wrote:But, as I have really bad experience with Keith McMillen's QuNexus which is unuseable.
Oh I was thinking about buying one of those. What was the problem?

knowix wrote:
ErikH wrote:But, as I have really bad experience with Keith McMillen's QuNexus which is unuseable.
Oh I was thinking about buying one of those. What was the problem?
It's just not very playable and the poly AT responsiveness is poor

Is it Waveform 9 it ships with?

Hi Knowix,

In theory it's great, the construction is solid but the sensors are irregular in quality so aftertouch and the top-bottom pressure does not work well enough to be usable.
What's worse is that when I mailed the company, I got an e-mail back stating I needed a better cable, one with gold contacts. So I bought one, but the result was the same. I mailed again, and the answer was that I probably got a bad cable. Googling 'problems with qunexus' clearly showed that I was not the first one who had these problems and that the company already knew about it, yet still tried to push me aside with a gold-plated cable.

That's when I cut all links with KeithMcMillen.

It is also why I now want to be shure I can really use this Seaboard block before I buy it.
Windows 7, Cubase 9.5 and some extra plug-ins | Takamine EN-10C and PRS Mira

I had heard bad things about the Quneo. But I was hoping they'd learned their lessons :?

Anyone know if there is a limit to how many of these you can combine to make a larger keyboard range and do they automatically transpose scales per unit to make one super long keyboard?

ErikH wrote:Hi Knowix,

In theory it's great, the construction is solid but the sensors are irregular in quality so aftertouch and the top-bottom pressure does not work well enough to be usable.
What's worse is that when I mailed the company, I got an e-mail back stating I needed a better cable, one with gold contacts. So I bought one, but the result was the same. I mailed again, and the answer was that I probably got a bad cable. Googling 'problems with qunexus' clearly showed that I was not the first one who had these problems and that the company already knew about it, yet still tried to push me aside with a gold-plated cable.

That's when I cut all links with KeithMcMillen.

It is also why I now want to be shure I can really use this Seaboard block before I buy it.
I have the Qunexus and the K-Mix from McMillen.

Unfortunately what ErikH I can mostly confirm.
I bought the Qunexus mostly for the CV-MIDI conversion I am not really playing it.

The pressure sensitivty spread across the keys have quite a variety. You can to some point remedy that by calibrating them with a small weight say more then 100g. In the Editor there ist an option for the response offset for each key but at least on mine sometimes it still ist not enough.

So I mostly play without velocitiy info, only for triggering. The spread is a lot better in the K-Board (aka Qunexus without CV-conversion) I heard.

About the K-Mix, just for completion, is a rocksolid device that I use everyday and it never let me kown. I cannot recommend it highly enough for all the things it does. Esp. The Touchstrips are awesome, even if a bit fiddly at times I admit. But they also only use Pressure for on / off.

But I never had such stupid response from McMillen, for me they were always super helpful, by a far shot.
Anyway Seabaord Block costs 3 time more than the K-Board, that should say something.

aMUSEd wrote:Anyone know if there is a limit to how many of these you can combine to make a larger keyboard range and do they automatically transpose scales per unit to make one super long keyboard?
I’m sure I read it’s a maximum of 16 Blocks devices which can be connected together. The real caveat with the Seaboard Block is that most patches within Equator have a limited octave range so 16 wouldn’t be any more useful than say 6.

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”