Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
violetcitron
KVRer
 
9 posts since 17 Oct, 2017

Postby violetcitron; Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:46 am Re: Roli Seaboard Block is there

I can't find any info on what will not work with a non-MPE vst ?
Can't I use the midi-learn function of vsts to link the pressure or gliding to some knob ?
User avatar
Tj Shredder
KVRian
 
718 posts since 6 Jan, 2017, from Outer Space

Postby Tj Shredder; Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:45 pm Re: Roli Seaboard Block is there

violetcitron wrote:I can't find any info on what will not work with a non-MPE vst ?
Can't I use the midi-learn function of vsts to link the pressure or gliding to some knob ?

Sure you can, but it will be sent to all voices and not just the key its associated with, if the synth is not MPE. Especially for pitch bends it can be frustrating. I developed a playing technique on the LinnStrument to release all other fingers before gliding. That is still very expressive...
stimresp
KVRian
 
1016 posts since 1 Jul, 2008

Postby stimresp; Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:05 pm Re: Roli Seaboard Block is there

So I finally got to use my Roli block songmaker kit. It was delivered on time, just never got a chance to break it open until today.

This is a quality piece of gear, and it's nice to have the magnetic case with it, plus a full license for Equator, which sounds great!
I had tried the seaboard rise in a shop, and the block keyboard feels and reacts just the same.

Overall impressed with the control possibilities, but one major gripe, and that is the apparent lack of MIDI over Bluetooth on Windows. And I can't seem to download the Noise app for Android. This seems a IOS - geared device. Though it works perfectly over USB and I just started testing it in Bitwig.

The lightpad M is pretty cool, very responsive, makes a great drum pad. I haven't really explored the loop module yet.

But yeah, this is fun! Really looking forward to perfecting the keyboard technique, and I'm already thinking to expand.
stimresp
KVRian
 
1016 posts since 1 Jul, 2008

Postby stimresp; Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:59 pm Re: Roli Seaboard Block is there

So I've had the weekend to play with the Roli blocks and I'm hooked. Seriously blown away by the expressiveness, so much so that I went out an bought a second seaboard block to extend the keys to 48. Works out cheaper than a Seaboard 49, is totally portable, and suits my tiny hand better :)

Equator is really cool, though I thought there would be more presets . Still, I can roll my own, and I've also been testing with other synths such as Kaivo in Bitwig - immense possibilities here.

A bit miffed that I can't install Noise on my Android phone - only works on Google Pixel phones, which I don't have. Maybe it's time to get an ipad.

Overall though, really happy with this purchase.
himalaya
KVRAF
 
4681 posts since 23 Mar, 2006, from pendeLondonmonium

Postby himalaya; Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:32 am Re: Roli Seaboard Block is there

stimresp wrote:
Equator is really cool, though I thought there would be more presets . Still, I can roll my own, and I've also been testing with other synths such as Kaivo in Bitwig - immense possibilities here.


Make sure that you download all the additional presets. In Equator, open the browser, then click on the 'Online' option in the top left corner. Then download all the extra presets which should show now in the panel on the right.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
stimresp
KVRian
 
1016 posts since 1 Jul, 2008

Postby stimresp; Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:05 am Re: Roli Seaboard Block is there

himalaya wrote:
stimresp wrote:
Equator is really cool, though I thought there would be more presets . Still, I can roll my own, and I've also been testing with other synths such as Kaivo in Bitwig - immense possibilities here.


Make sure that you download all the additional presets. In Equator, open the browser, then click on the 'Online' option in the top left corner. Then download all the extra presets which should show now in the panel on the right.


Great! Thanks!
ErikH
KVRist
 
455 posts since 16 May, 2012, from Antwerp

Postby ErikH; Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:41 am Re: Roli Seaboard Block is there

I am very interested in buying this product because synths have more possibilities than a 'normal' keyboard can ever cover.
But, as I have really bad experience with Keith McMillen's QuNexus which is unuseable, I would like to know for certain that this Seaboard Block works with Cubase9.5 and 3d part plugins like Aalto and Kontakt inside of it.

Could anyone please confirm?

Thanks!
Windows 7, Cubase 9.5 and some extra plug-ins | Takamine EN-10C and PRS Mira
knowix
KVRist
 
218 posts since 12 Nov, 2011

Postby knowix; Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:22 pm Re: Roli Seaboard Block is there

ErikH wrote:But, as I have really bad experience with Keith McMillen's QuNexus which is unuseable.


Oh I was thinking about buying one of those. What was the problem?
User avatar
aMUSEd
KVRAF
 
29435 posts since 14 Sep, 2002, from In teh net

Postby aMUSEd; Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:45 pm Re: Roli Seaboard Block is there

knowix wrote:
ErikH wrote:But, as I have really bad experience with Keith McMillen's QuNexus which is unuseable.


Oh I was thinking about buying one of those. What was the problem?


It's just not very playable and the poly AT responsiveness is poor
User avatar
aMUSEd
KVRAF
 
29435 posts since 14 Sep, 2002, from In teh net

Postby aMUSEd; Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:40 pm Re: Roli Seaboard Block is there

Is it Waveform 9 it ships with?
ErikH
KVRist
 
455 posts since 16 May, 2012, from Antwerp

Postby ErikH; Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:28 am Re: Roli Seaboard Block is there

Hi Knowix,

In theory it's great, the construction is solid but the sensors are irregular in quality so aftertouch and the top-bottom pressure does not work well enough to be usable.
What's worse is that when I mailed the company, I got an e-mail back stating I needed a better cable, one with gold contacts. So I bought one, but the result was the same. I mailed again, and the answer was that I probably got a bad cable. Googling 'problems with qunexus' clearly showed that I was not the first one who had these problems and that the company already knew about it, yet still tried to push me aside with a gold-plated cable.

That's when I cut all links with KeithMcMillen.

It is also why I now want to be shure I can really use this Seaboard block before I buy it.
Windows 7, Cubase 9.5 and some extra plug-ins | Takamine EN-10C and PRS Mira
knowix
KVRist
 
218 posts since 12 Nov, 2011

Postby knowix; Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:00 pm Re: Roli Seaboard Block is there

I had heard bad things about the Quneo. But I was hoping they'd learned their lessons :?
Previous

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Mobile Apps and Hardware