Soundtheory GULLFOSS computional auditory perception EQ

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Gullfoss

A very interesting software and very well done. How long will the introductory price stay, reasonably?

Subbase wrote:This looks awesome,looking forward to the PC version
Me too!

I tried the demo last night, and I can say it's beautiful and magic, but WAY too demanding on CPU to be usable.

(MacBook Pro Retina 15" I7 2,8 GHz 16 Go 1600 MHz DDR3 with SSD, Sierra 10.12.6, Logic Pro X 10.4)
U N I S O N : shoegaze/electronic wall of sound with heavenly voice
https://soundcloud.com/weareunison / https://www.facebook.com/unison666 / https://weareunison.com/

Has anybody an idea if or how this compares to iZotope Neutron / Ozone?

The GUI of Gullfoss is excellent, best compliments to the developers! However, I think I discovered a bug in it. It happens only with a particular plug-in, the reverb "Breeze 2" by 2CAudio (you need version 2 of Breeze to check the bug, not version 1).
Description:
A) Open Gullfoss
B)Leave Gullfoss GUI open and open also "Breeze 2"
C) Close "Breeze 2"
D) Gullfoss GUI disappears completely and becomes completely black, suddenly. The only way to recover it is to eliminate Gullfoss completely from the plug-in chain ("no plug in" in the slot), then to select it again and open another new Gullfoss instance instead of the former one.

I don't know why it happens, but maybe they can check with the other developer. I'm using an iMac, end of 2015, Intel Core i5, Retina 5K 27" display with OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan, Logic Pro X 10.3.2.

martinjuenke wrote:Has anybody an idea if or how this compares to iZotope Neutron / Ozone?
It is a different concept.
I've got Neutron2 and Ozone8 advanced and like what they offer.
When you use Track Assistant in Neutron it offers a fixed suggestion for all sorts of tweaks to the source and can include EQ, Compressors, Exciters etc.

Gullfoss offers a constantly dynamic EQ.
You can choose whether you want to Tame problems or Recover hidden aspects or a combination of both, with a choice as to whether Recover or Tame should be the dominant focus.

From part of the manual it says:

Tame/Recover: These two parameters allow masked signal components to be revealed and will help you improve the clarity, detail and spatiality of the signal. This can be achieved by reducing the intensity of components that are too dominant of by increasing the intensity of components that are dominated by others. Tame treats the dominant components while Recover treats the dominated components.

There are other controls but that is the main concept.
As a generalisation I see myself using the Neutron Track Assistant on individual tracks where you may want to see what Compressor and Eq and Exciter suggestions it throws up on problematic tracks.
In contrast, I've been using Gullfoss on the stereo buss and/or on stereo mixes in mastering projects.
Of course there will always be exceptions to the rule.

Hope that helps.

Yes, thanks!

XComposer wrote:The GUI of Gullfoss is excellent, best compliments to the developers! However, I think I discovered a bug in it. It happens only with a particular plug-in, the reverb "Breeze 2" by 2CAudio (you need version 2 of Breeze to check the bug, not version 1).
Description:
A) Open Gullfoss
B)Leave Gullfoss GUI open and open also "Breeze 2"
C) Close "Breeze 2"
D) Gullfoss GUI disappears completely and becomes completely black, suddenly. The only way to recover it is to eliminate Gullfoss completely from the plug-in chain ("no plug in" in the slot), then to select it again and open another new Gullfoss instance instead of the former one.

I don't know why it happens, but maybe they can check with the other developer. I'm using an iMac, end of 2015, Intel Core i5, Retina 5K 27" display with OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan, Logic Pro X 10.3.2.
Thanks - we'll investigate. It could be something unusual that Breeze does on closing. If you log this with support on our website we'll make sure you get contacted directly when we know more.

"Thanks - we'll investigate. It could be something unusual that Breeze does on closing. If you log this with support on our website we'll make sure you get contacted directly when we know more."

Scrap that! I've logged it for you - and we'll update you as we can.

Thank you very much!

After some testing, I decided to buy it! It's really good! I tested it also on some poor live recordings of chamber music with classical music instruments (which is often the case for me: I'm a composer and somebody else performs my music somewhere, usually in very small theaters, and records it live with a poor very simple stereo equipment, then they send me their live recording). My subjective impression is that the room coloration and the ambient reverberation are reduced with Gullfoss; presence is added, it's more like "being there", closer to the instruments; so, does anybody want to share his / her impressions with regard to this sort of de-reverberation effect in live recordings? Do you notice it, too, or it's just me?

any PC version update?
XComposer wrote:After some testing, I decided to buy it! It's really good! I tested it also on some poor live recordings of chamber music with classical music instruments (which is often the case for me: I'm a composer and somebody else performs my music somewhere, usually in very small theaters, and records it live with a poor very simple stereo equipment, then they send me their live recording). My subjective impression is that the room coloration and the ambient reverberation are reduced with Gullfoss; presence is added, it's more like "being there", closer to the instruments; so, does anybody want to share his / her impressions with regard to this sort of de-reverberation effect in live recordings? Do you notice it, too, or it's just me?
i would be interested in this too! cause a plugin SHOULD NEVER alter the sound like this, that's why im not convinced of most MAGIC tools yet.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

any updates?
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Caine123 wrote:any updates?
Less than a week ago they said 'a couple of months'.
There's a long thread on Gearslutz.

Armadillo wrote:
Caine123 wrote:any updates?
Less than a week ago they said 'a couple of months'.
There's a long thread on Gearslutz.
Looking forward to it. This is my most anticipated plugin of the year.

Return to “Effects”