Acoustica Premium 7.0.51 - two-channel recording

Official support for: acondigital.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Mr. Stian,

I refer to Acoustica Premium 7.0.51, running on Windows 10 Professional 64-bit.

I have some problem when recording in Acoustica, it seems. I am recording a digital piano (with separate left and right outputs) connected to the computer through a USB Yamaha mixer, with Yamaha Steinberg USB ASIO driver. With that setup, I can record the digital piano perfectly well in 2-channel stereo both in Audacity and in WaveLab, so I understand that the chain piano-mixer-USB-computer is working well and in stereo, as it should. But in Acoustica this is what happens:

1. Open Acoustica, and new recording file

2. Choose audio format 2-channel 44100 KHz

3. In the Recording dialog box (with input source "Yamaha Steinberg USB ASIO"), there are two level meters, but only the left one is working, responding to the piano playing - the right level meter is dead at minus infinity. When I play the digital piano and record > pause > insert, I get only the left channel recorded, nothing on the right channel waveform window.

A question: Isn't there a master recording control for defining the recording level? How is one supposed to control the recording level in Acoustica? And shouldn't Acoustica have a master volume control for listening to files, as both Audacity and WaveLab have? There was a master volume control in Acoustica 6 Basic, a slider, but I cannot find one in my Acoustca 7.

Note: Once, after opening WaveLab, closing it and then opening Acoustica for recording, again the Audio Device Settings as seen through the Recording dialog box was "Magix Low Latency 2016", not "Yamaha Steinberg USB ASIO" as it is in the XML file.

Regards,

Paulo

Hi Paulo,
Paulo-Brazil wrote:I have some problem when recording in Acoustica, it seems. I am recording a digital piano (with separate left and right outputs) connected to the computer through a USB Yamaha mixer, with Yamaha Steinberg USB ASIO driver. With that setup, I can record the digital piano perfectly well in 2-channel stereo both in Audacity and in WaveLab, so I understand that the chain piano-mixer-USB-computer is working well and in stereo, as it should. But in Acoustica this is what happens:

1. Open Acoustica, and new recording file

2. Choose audio format 2-channel 44100 KHz

3. In the Recording dialog box (with input source "Yamaha Steinberg USB ASIO"), there are two level meters, but only the left one is working, responding to the piano playing - the right level meter is dead at minus infinity. When I play the digital piano and record > pause > insert, I get only the left channel recorded, nothing on the right channel waveform window.
It sounds as if there's something wrong with the channel routing. Could you please open the preferences and go to audio device settings. Now, please click the button with the cogs on the right hand side of the device selection box. You'll now be able to define input and output channel routing.
Paulo-Brazil wrote:A question: Isn't there a master recording control for defining the recording level? How is one supposed to control the recording level in Acoustica? And shouldn't Acoustica have a master volume control for listening to files, as both Audacity and WaveLab have? There was a master volume control in Acoustica 6 Basic, a slider, but I cannot find one in my Acoustca 7.
We deliberately skipped the volume control to have a more uniform workflow with different driver models. The bit correct "pro audio" driver models don't usually give control over the output volume and the volume control in Acoustica Basic Edition 6 was merely a signal scaling in the digital domain. ASIO and CoreAudio audio interfaces usually have hardware input and output level controls.

Best,
Stian

Mr.Stian, yes, following your instructions, in the audio device settings > I/O channel maps, the right input channel wasn't assigned to anything, this is way I had no recording on the right channel. I have fixed that, and I am able ro record well in stereo now. Thank you.

Hi Paulo!
Paulo-Brazil wrote:Mr.Stian, yes, following your instructions, in the audio device settings > I/O channel maps, the right input channel wasn't assigned to anything, this is way I had no recording on the right channel. I have fixed that, and I am able ro record well in stereo now. Thank you.
Perfect -- good to hear! :)

Best,
Stian

Return to “Acon Digital”