Fathom Synth Development Thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fathom Synth

Now I'm even more confused........ :hihi:

So which .dll would one use if they want plugin Multi-Threading and the most CPU efficient version for Windows 7 ?

Is there a switch to turn off Multi-Threading when using more than one instance of Fathom in a single project or does Fathom do that automatically ?

Some plugins can have issues when using multiple instances with all set to MT. One developer has said that it's better not to have multiple instances all running MT. I don't remember the technical explanation but he's well respected so I never questioned the logic behind it.....
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

The normal release now in 2.7.1 does not have the HS high speed settings (Vector and Multi-Core).

I can't enable those for the main build or it will not validate on some systems, so they have to be disabled.

If you want to try the HS high speed settings you need to go here:
https://www.fathomsynth.com/updates

And download the "HS" high speed build.

If the HS build does not validate on your system, there is unfortunately nothing I can do. (Sorry!)

FathomSynth wrote: Tonedef71, To answer your question on the last page, I believe the plugins should have different names, so you should be able to select them as different plugins. Fathom.dll, FathomMono.dll, Fathom32.dll, FathomMono32.dll. The Mac OSX builds do not have different names but I can’t change that.
Thank you for responding to my question. Would it be possible to add the word "mono" to the version text that appears over the logo when hovering? And while you're at it, add "MT" for the multithreaded build. These additions would allow me to easily sanity check the build version of the plugin while I am working with it without having to figure out which DLL I have loaded in the host. Thank you in advance!
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

Now that's actually a really good idea.

Yes, I will make the next release display the build version in the version box.

Shows version 2.7.0 still?
I may missing something though.

FathomSynth wrote: (re win 10 build for mono releases)No, sorry, not currently, I will add that in the 2.8 release.
Ok thanks, I know it's a lot of work getting versions aligned ...
dB

FathomSynth wrote:download the "HS" high speed build.
Ok thanks I'll give that a go. My studio is Win 7 so it should validate.
doctorbob wrote:]Ok thanks, I know it's a lot of work getting versions aligned ... dB
Fathom is on sale for a crazy low price in the KVR Marketplace. You really should get the full version. :D
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote:
FathomSynth wrote:download the "HS" high speed build.
Ok thanks I'll give that a go. My studio is Win 7 so it should validate.
doctorbob wrote:]Ok thanks, I know it's a lot of work getting versions aligned ... dB
Fathom is on sale for a crazy low price in the KVR Marketplace. You really should get the full version. :D

As the MASTER of Synth1. I think its a matter of philosophy for Dr Bob to use the free version.
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

Having a bit of an issue getting pitch to stay with an envelope during release.
Example : https://youtu.be/GMmtHLOX5FU
Also trying with ADSR has similar result.
I realize the undesired effect can be somewhat masked by having a low volume level prior to note-off, but if a patch has high sustain with a long release the undesired effect is noticeable.
Win10 x64, Reaper 6.XX x64, i5-3330, 8gb ram, GTX-970, UC-33, Panorama P4, Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 and JVC HA-RX700

Yes, that's a bug, I'll fix that for the next release.

For now if you want to get rid of that you can use modulation type multiply and set the Pitch Note to +12.

I'm a bit confused by all these different versions...
I'm running Windows 10, latest version of Reaper. Should I be using the "MT" build?

Will all these version converge to a single build again in the future?
Demo/soundtrack work: https://soundcloud.com/antaln
My post/prog rock band: http://www.sylvium.com

FathomSynth wrote: If you are using version 2.7 you should not be getting any aliasing at all, zero.
Here's what you should be seeing for the spectrum. This is the wave draw oscillator playing a saw in Ableton.
If you are seeing something different then there could be a bug
Then there is a bug. The spectrum images you posted showed it at a low note. I get heavy aliasing on high notes. The internal spectrum shows them as well. It depends on the number of partials. The more partials the more aliasing, clearly audible and nasty...
I tried it in Mainstage and Bitwig on OS X Sierra. The Bitwig analyzer also shows some DC (I suspect its DC, as I don't hear it). Maybe its related...

FathomSynth wrote:The Mac OSX builds do not have different names but I can’t change that.
How is the Mac build done? Is it single-threaded? SIMD?

Teilo, none of this impacts the Mac OSX builds. There is only one type of Mac build and it does not have Vector SIMD or Multi-Core enabled. However the host can always assign multiple tracks to multiple cores.

Evilantal, If you have Windows 10, you should run the Windows 10 build.

Go here:
https://www.fathomsynth.com/updates/
And download the “Windows 10 Build”

I’m sorry the number of builds is confusing, but I have to provide the builds or some people will not be able to run the plugin on their system.

Tj Shredder,

I debug stepped through all the code which handles the partials and it is correctly pulling back the number of partials as a function of the note frequency so it is always under half the sample rate, so it should not have aliasing.

However I did notice I have the spline interpolation disabled for those buffers for the high notes, which could cause a slight bit of aliasing, but not as much as you are describing.

I am running the same test you are but I am not seeing or hearing very much aliasing. Only a slight amount from the lack of spline buffers.

What OS and host are you using, which oscillator.

Does it happen only when you move the partials dial or all the time when you have no mouse over any dial?

Please post the exact steps you are doing to cause this problem.

And please post a picture of the spectrum with the aliasing.

Then I will turn on the spline buffers and give you a test build to see if it eliminates the problem.

FathomSynth wrote:Teilo, none of this impacts the Mac OSX builds. There is only one type of Mac build and it does not have Vector SIMD or Multi-Core enabled. However the host can always assign multiple tracks to multiple cores.
I understand it was not a problem for Mac. I was just hoping that we would get an SIMD/MT build for Mac. It doesn't take much to max out a patch. Three oscillators without unison, two filters, and one effect are enough to cause the occasional glitch on a Skylake 2.9Ghz i7.
Last edited by teilo on Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”