Moog Minitaur

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chk071 wrote:Sorry to revive this old thread, but... i'm wondering. Is there a technical reason for the oscillators being limited to the lower octaves, or is it a design choice? I know, they market is as a bass synthesizer, which should be the Taurus successor, but, IMO, being limited to the lower octaves seems somewhat of an odd decision, considering it could be so much more versatile if it wasn't.
I've always found that a poor design choice, and one which kept me from buying it. I suppose they wanted to limit the oscillator range to make it easier to dial in bass sounds. Still seems like a bad idea, but oh well...
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Exactly. Considering that it's the most affordable Moog, but still quite steep compared to other entry level mono synth, it seems even weirder to have such a restriction. I really like the sound of this thing, sounds great really, but, that's quite a bummer.

It's a technical limitation: the oscillators are V/Hz, so they require to double the voltage for each octave.
This is an explanation on the Moog forum https://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=14115

Also, there are reasons both for V/Oct and V/Hz oscillators: http://synthmuseum.com/magazine/linexpo.html

Since the Minitaur is part of the Taurus line, it makes sense to keep the V/Hz design (for sound reasons).
free multisamples (last upd: 22th May 2021).
-------------------------
I vote with my wallet.

I see. So, no chance of fixing that with a update of the software editor, i guess. :? The explanation that there's a lack of tuning in the lower registers with a V/Oct design doesn't make too much sense for me BTW, i rather think they were going for a cheap design (after all, all the other Moog synths don't have that design, and i never heard someone complain about lack of tuning in the low registers...). But, frankly, i wonder if a price of initially over 600 € is appropriate then, because you pay 300 € for a Minibrute, and that one doesn't have the limitations of the Minitaur osc design, and it has more features too. 300 € for the Moog name? Well, the build quality is probably better too, but still...

I have a feeling that at least partly, it was done on purpose, to market is as the Taurus successor, and a pure bass synthesizer, while the other Moogs are supposed to be more of "general purpose" instruments.

Always thought the Minitar sounded great. Good to see further enhancements...
https://www.moogmusic.com/news/introducing-minitaur-v22

Moog plugin editors are fab too.

I think it's not correct to say the Minibrute has more features than the Minitaur (or viceversa), each of them has some features which are missing on the other one.
For example, the Minibrute is a one oscillator synth with a suboscillator (so the tuning is fixed), while the Minitaur has two oscillators and the second can be tuned freely across a range of -12 to +12 semitones (and, especially with the recently added hard sync, it adds a lot of possibilities). At the same time, the Minibrute has more filter modes, more oscillator waveforms (it also has pwm), it has a noise source... but the Minitaur is fully midi-controllable (and it also supports high resolution controls) and the plugin is great for daw integration (for automation)... the list can go on...

I don't have a Minibrute, but I own both a Minitaur and a Microbrute (which has a character quite close to the Minibrute). While the Microbrute is very good at bass sounds, the Minitaur has more weight in my experience. Actually, it's the synth with more bass power in my collection (I own a few of modern mono synths: Minitaur, Pulse 2, Microbrute, MS20 Mini, Mother-32, Volca Bass).
I don't know if the price of the Minitaur is appropriate or not, probably the Moog name has a role in the final price, but also the digital control and the editor are part of that price.
When I bought the Minitaur, I was unsure because of the range limitation, but I have no regrets since then because of its sound. For other things I need other synths, unfortunately the Minitaur doesn't cover everything (I really wish it could!), but it's great for bass duty (which is what it's marketed for).

By the way, I have a soft spot for Moog products (and the Moog sound in general), so I may be biased in my opinions.
I vote with my wallet.

You're right in all you wrote. :tu: I'll definitely keep an eye on the Minitaur, maybe, one day, i'll get weak, and get one, after all, it's a very affordable option to get a real Moog synth. And, from what i heard, it really sounds great.

Interesting about the V/hz technical limitation.

I still feel that the Minitaur is priced too high for a bass synth. Actually, it was a reasonable price when it first came out, but now the landscape has changed drastically in the low-cost analog synth competition. Given the price, I would rather buy two Behringer Model D's!
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

The Minute is very limited but it is great inside that limited range of sounds.

It is a keeper for me.
dedication to flying

anyone is having the eternal "DISCONNECTED" issue with the minitaur?
I'm so upset that works so bad and so many people complaining but they do nothing to help, even the questions in their forums are left unanswered. :evil:
Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education. Bertrand Russell

I guess you're on Windows... I can't help much because I'm on Mac and here it works fine (it's mostly a Windows issue, as far as I know).
The first and ovious question is if your Minitaur firmware, editor and driver are up to date... I think it was supposed to be resolved with the update issued last year...
I vote with my wallet.

sin night wrote:I guess you're on Windows...

...The first and ovious question is if your Minitaur firmware, editor and driver are up to date... I think it was supposed to be resolved with the update issued last year...
Yes to both questions.
It was supposed to be resolved yes, but it wasn't.

I not only tried the latest firmware (2.2.1) and usb driver (4.35.0), I also tried different combinations of firmware versions and old usb drivers plus the USB composite driver from windows, the generic one, etc, but seems to be that it's impossible to get it to work with the new Ableton 10.

The infinit -disconnected- error keep showing up.
The standalone version seems to work ok, but that's nothing new.

Windows 7 (x64) SP1 + Ableton 10
Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education. Bertrand Russell

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”