Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
User avatar
sqigls
KVRAF
 
2924 posts since 24 Dec, 2004, from Melbourne, Australia

Postby sqigls; Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:32 am Re: Old presets fail in Sylenth1

can't afford Cubase or Ableton Live, but spend their whole paycheck on drugs and alcohol
User avatar
stardustmedia
KVRAF
 
1659 posts since 12 Dec, 2012, from Switzerland

Postby stardustmedia; Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:39 am Re: Old presets fail in Sylenth1

sqigls wrote:can't afford Cubase or Ableton Live, but spend their whole paycheck on drugs and alcohol


hahaha :lol: :lol: :lol:
Plus a couple hundreds for clubs and drinks there, in the pathetic wish to get laid :hihi:
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat
Lennard
KVRian
 
1005 posts since 25 Sep, 2006

Postby Lennard; Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:09 am Re: Old presets fail in Sylenth1

FLStudiouser94 wrote:
Lennard wrote:
FLStudiouser94 wrote:If you want to try a car, you can do so and you can do so with full functionality. It's not like the car seller will disable the car horn, limit the speed to 80 km/h and play "Thank you for trying this car!" every 90 seconds through the speakers.

In all honesty, would you rather prefer:

- A trial version with full functionality which you can try for 1 hour (or even one day) and it gets locked after that (as would a car)? Or
- A demo version that you can use all your life, only with a demo voice every now and then and a few minor functions disabled?


I would have to say neither due to the circumstances we have regarding software piracy. As long as piracy is possible and in general easy, people will resort to it. Why use a limited demo, when you can pirate a software and demo it fully in your own pace?


Why test-drive a car for one day when you can also just take it home and 'test drive' it for many years until you finally decide it may be worth buying (But hey, why pay for this old car when you can also 'test drive' a brand new one instead)?

The fact that you CAN steal ('demo') a car (or software) doesn't mean it's not wrong and illegal.

FLStudiouser94 wrote:But sure, a demo version that always works but is very restrictive (...) is the better option, even if that sucks too in comparison with the ability to demo a product fully via pirating.

Aside from the fact that you're contradicting your own arguments and aside from it being plain wrong, using a crack to demo software does in many cases not at all give a good impression of the product, as most cracks are (very) old versions of the software, may be buggy, may not even work on the latest DAWs and OS's, may cause preset compatibility problems and may even contain viruses and malware.

Developers will keep their official demo/trial versions up to date, will make sure bugs are fixed, will guarantee full compatibility with presets, future versions, future OS/DAWs and will digitally sign their product to guarantee it's not infected with viruses or malware, and they will offer support for it, help with installation or answer any questions or problems you may have.

That's definitely the better way to get an impression of the product.
Image
User avatar
fluffy_little_something
KVRAF
 
11266 posts since 5 Jun, 2012, from Portugal

Postby fluffy_little_something; Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:38 am Re: Old presets fail in Sylenth1

The car analogy sucks as a car is subject to wear and tear, and may even break during the test ride. You can use a cracked version of software till the end of time, though, it will always work like on day one.

Having said that, I remember I also didn't understand why some features were disabled in the demo version. Other developers don't do that. Some even allow saving presets so that one can load them later on after buying.

What I also wondered back then: when you load a factory preset that uses the disabled features of the demo version, will the patch even play correctly, i.e. the way it would sound in the full version?
User avatar
Teksonik
KVRAF
 
12292 posts since 15 Sep, 2001, from Las Vegas,USA

Postby Teksonik; Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:05 am Re: Old presets fail in Sylenth1

No, the car analogy is perfect. Why didn't he steal a car back when he was a teenager ? Because he had a high probability of getting caught and going to jail. Very rarely does that same threat apply when stealing Intellectual Property.

He's just a punk ass bitch who wouldn't have the balls to steal a piece of candy from the corner market. He should be permanently banned from KVR even if he has "reformed".

What do you want to bet he's got a hard drive full of pirated music and software. Punks have no sense of morality...... :roll:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
User avatar
fluffy_little_something
KVRAF
 
11266 posts since 5 Jun, 2012, from Portugal

Postby fluffy_little_something; Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:09 am Re: Old presets fail in Sylenth1

There was a report on the brain and morals the other day. They said that in males the region of the brain responsible for morals and judgement is only fully developed between the ages of 20 and 25, which might explain why so many young guys do stupid and illegal things.
Lennard
KVRian
 
1005 posts since 25 Sep, 2006

Postby Lennard; Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:23 am Re: Old presets fail in Sylenth1

fluffy_little_something wrote:What I also wondered back then: when you load a factory preset that uses the disabled features of the demo version, will the patch even play correctly, i.e. the way it would sound in the full version?

Yes, a few knobs are disabled on the GUI only. Internally they still exist though, so all presets will sound exactly the same as in the full version.
Image
FLStudiouser94
KVRer
 
7 posts since 9 Feb, 2018

Postby FLStudiouser94; Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:10 pm Re: Old presets fail in Sylenth1

@Lennard Now you're a bit silly. Like I said before, a car is an actual physical object. A software can be copied into infinity at an almost non-existent cost. You can't do that with physical objects, like cars. I'm contradicting myself how? I gave you an answer but I've also said I do not follow it. I do not fully agree with your opinion about impressions. There are of course benefits with the new fresh version (sizable GUI and 64-bit support for instance and on newer OS the performance is of course better), otherwise I've not noticed any major differences (you also once updated Sylenth1 and I downloaded the update, which then had a bug that annoyed me A LOT for a few weeks until you fixed it). If a cracked version really would give a crappy impression, then why did I buy your product? I never faced any issues really until I bought my brothers computer (and that is when I bought Sylenth1 since I made myself a promise that I would pay for it one day and I do try to keep my promises).

By the way Lennard:
https://i.imgur.com/fB1QErs.png
"We're against piracy, it's bad for our company. But we do understand if people rip our product and then pay for it when they can. That way they have something to look forward to!"

Lennard, why do you (even if it wasn't you who posted that tweet, it still represents your company) go on twitter and say something like that, but if I say the same thing on here (and also explaining why piracy occurs by giving some examples and explaining that there are good and bad sides to piracy), then I'm the bad guy? That tweet literally (between the lines) says piracy helps true artists (what is a "true artist" to you?) get started and then when they have earned enough, they can pay for what they use. The issue for me Lennard however is that I am against what the music industry has become, so I've always released my music for free. There is no actual way for me at the moment to make the money back with the software I have bought (I'm not interested in selling .flp's or Sylenth banks, I've given away several of my presets for free because presets should be free imo). I've spent about 730 dollars on software alone the past 2 years. For you maybe that is a piss in the ocean but for me that is a significant amount of money (I'm low income working class). I gave up on a hobby of mine (luckily I can do it virtually for free but that is far from being anything close to the real thing) and I've made some other sacrifices that most people wouldn't want to do, just to be able to afford to buy legitimate licenses of the softwares I use (and I've been able to do so while staying out of debt, so to those who say "save up", better luck next time)

I've done actual work to both be able to afford the software I want to own legitimately but also to feel confident enough (I've had people laugh at me for making shitty music and so forth, which meant I had to work harder to better myself) in myself to actually buy for instance Sylenth1. I had very little knowledge when I started using Sylenth1 (been pretty much my main synth for a few years). Anyone who have basic understanding of money knows that it's a complete idiocy to spend money on something you have barely any knowledge of (and it's even more dumb if you can get it for free quite effortlessly, I've seen a half mentally retarded person manage to crack FL Studio and several VSTs... and no I'm not referring to myself if someone tries to be a smartass :D). I've worked hard to build up enough confidence to feel sure I have enough confidence to buy & own a real legit license of the softwares I use (which yet again, I've made no money with nor a social following). I've done pretty much what your tweet said. Yet I am treated like I'm some ex-convict by some individuals here. Some of the behaviors seen in this thread are pretty much "shooting the messenger" and "shooting themselves in the foot".
Lennard
KVRian
 
1005 posts since 25 Sep, 2006

Postby Lennard; Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:47 am Re: Old presets fail in Sylenth1

FLStudiouser94 wrote:@Lennard Now you're a bit silly. Like I said before, a car is an actual physical object. A software can be copied into infinity at an almost non-existent cost. You can't do that with physical objects, like cars.

So it's not ok to steal a physical car, but it IS ok to steal the blue-print of a cool brand new car, that took years of work to design and copy that to infinity?

FLStudiouser94 wrote:I'm contradicting myself how?

You're using the car demoing example to argue that it's better than demoing our software. Then later on you literally say it's not: "But sure, a demo version that always works but is very restrictive (...) is the better option".

FLStudiouser94 wrote:Lennard, why do you (even if it wasn't you who posted that tweet, it still represents your company) go on twitter and say something like that, but if I say the same thing on here (and also explaining why piracy occurs by giving some examples and explaining that there are good and bad sides to piracy), then I'm the bad guy?

Because we DO understand when someone uses a crack, just to try it out and then purchase the software when they like it. But that does NOT mean we support piracy in any way! The tweet even starts out with "We're against piracy, it's bad for our company."
We definitely do NOT approve someone using a crack for many years, maybe even releasing/selling their music and never purchasing the software at all!

I was just responding to your commment:

FLStudiouser94 wrote:As long as piracy is possible and in general easy, people will resort to it. Why use a limited demo, when you can pirate a software and demo it fully in your own pace?

That's the whole thing isn't it? I don't have a problem when someone uses a crack to demo software if they have the intention to buy it when they like it (although I still recommend to use the official demo version as explained before), but in many cases software pirates don't purchase it at all! Why purchase that old program you've 'tested' for years, while you can also just 'test' a brand new product (or version)?
Image
FLStudiouser94
KVRer
 
7 posts since 9 Feb, 2018

Postby FLStudiouser94; Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:46 am Re: Old presets fail in Sylenth1

So it's not ok to steal a physical car, but it IS ok to steal the blue-print of a cool brand new car, that took years of work to design and copy that to infinity?

No, of course not. I do not condone stealing. But what I disagree with most people in here is that I do not think piracy of software is stealing if you follow the "try before you buy" motto. Some people were not too happy about hearing that, but I tend to have unpopular opinions sometimes.

You're using the car demoing example to argue that it's better than demoing our software. Then later on you literally say it's not: "But sure, a demo version that always works but is very restrictive (...) is the better option".

Well you are correct here. My mistake. The point I was trying to make is that I do not like restrictions and hence why I usually turn to piracy to get a better impression (imo) of a software.

Because we DO understand when someone uses a crack, just to try it out and then purchase the software when they like it. But that does NOT mean we support piracy in any way! The tweet even starts out with "We're against piracy, it's bad for our company."


Yes, you do understand it because a significant amount of your customers pirated your software and then bought it because they liked it (and I do not blame you). This is why however I have a little bit hard taking anti-piracy people seriously because a lot less people would use their products anyways if there no piracy. I used to play the MMORPG Tibia and one of the most boring tasks in this game was killing monsters to gain exp and level up (it's called hunting in-game). So a guy called Lord of war developed a software called TibiaBot NG and later on his friend developed ElfBot NG. These softwares would automate tons of stuff in the game, so you could be 100% AFK meanwhile the bot would do the playing for you. This gained popularity quickly and soon the majority of players (me included, I owned both TibiaBot NG and ElfBot NG, which were paid for of course) used these softwares.

Of course the developers behind Tibia, Cipsoft, were strongly anti against these softwares because it is basically cheating in-game. Cipsoft only had gamemasters to ban cheaters, but the GM's were rarely online. So Cipsoft got themselves a system in early 2009, that would detect cheaters (called botters in-game) and ban them (up too 5000/month, banning too many would piss people off heavily so they took small steps). These bots became too risky to use so people gradually stopped using them. So what happened next? Well, to make it short: the botters left the game. Some people (like me), mainly played to socialize because the community in Tibia was great. But most of my friends in-game left (because all of us used these bots) so I had nobody left to talk to, so I quit as well. My estimate is between 2009-2011, Cipsoft lost 20-30k active players (that is a huge number because it's an underground game). Cipsoft decided to kill the supply, which in turn killed the demand or the demand went elsewhere (the numbers kept declining severely so Cipsoft never recovered from this). I think a similar effect would happen if piracy was banned off completely.

We definitely do NOT approve someone using a crack for many years, maybe even releasing/selling their music and never purchasing the software at all! Why purchase that old program you've 'tested' for years, while you can also just 'test' a brand new product (or version)?

I agree and disagree. I do admit I used multiple Sylenth1 cracks and I used them for about five years (last 2-3 years I used the same crack because it worked the best). I can now only speak for myself but what gains did I make during these 5 years using cracked Sylenth1? I learned some basic synthesis and had some fun at my computer, that's about it. What gains have you made from me? Well firstly I paid for a license. Secondly, you have gotten yourself a dedicated user. I use Sylenth1 in almost all productions and I make sure people know what I use in my productions. I've shared free presets for Sylenth1 and defended Sylenth1 from people who claim it's a useless synth these days (which is mainly the Serum fanboys who circle jerk the f**k out of that synth just because Deadmau5 use it and afaik co-owns Xfer Records).
It goes both ways in other words.

It took me longer than expected to buy Sylenth1, both because of laziness and financial reasons. But better late than never, because sadly some people will do everything to avoid paying for the software they use. My respect for them is not very high, especially if they actually have money (whether their own or by asking their parents who have money). These people do I suspect however do not really care much about synthesis, but more about what's trendy (and of course they are also cheap people). I have tried new VSTs as well and I did buy Spire as well because it's a great addition to my arsenal. But Sylenth1 has its own sound and that is why I still use it. The people who ditch it for other new VSTs, were not really any valuable users to begin with. I personally would think it's better the real power-users of Sylenth1 uses it and represents it (to attract more people with similar tastes), instead of 15 year old Martin Garrix fanboys who only heard of Sylenth1 because of Martin Garrix.
ramseysounds
KVRist
 
131 posts since 9 Jul, 2014, from London

Postby ramseysounds; Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:16 pm Re: Old presets fail in Sylenth1

FLStudiouser94 wrote: I do not think piracy of software is stealing if you follow the "try before you buy" motto.

:roll:

And big repect to Lennard for being dignified in his responses, even though some jerk's opening statement was 'In the past, I always had a cracked Sylenth1 version' :clap:
Music rules - there are none
User avatar
sqigls
KVRAF
 
2924 posts since 24 Dec, 2004, from Melbourne, Australia

Postby sqigls; Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:40 pm Re: Old presets fail in Sylenth1

...
effect pedal argument.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Previous

Moderators: BarendB, Ruben(LD), Lennard

Return to LennarDigital