Leslie for AmpliTube & T-RackS: IK collaborates with Hammond USA and Suzuki Music Corp. of Japan

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:
DarkStar wrote:^^^^
On the day that the products are released - no indication yet.
Correct. Per the news piece:
AmpliTube Leslie and T-RackS Leslie are expected to ship in March, 2018
I figured that much, but that could be any time in March. I'm just trying to budget for this, so the later the better for me.
I wish I could sing as well as the voices inside my head...

http://www.cdbaby.com/darkvictory

So half correct, then ;)
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

The issue for me is whether to get the Collection or only get Leslie for Amplitube.

I'm a guitarist and Amplitube is my main amp sim. It is a given for me to get Leslie for Amplitube. I like the Leslie for Amplitube gui better than the T-Racks Leslie version, with Leslie for Amplitube you can use Amplitube's rooms, and you can have routing in Amplitube send the output to both the Leslie speaker and a different amp cabinet in parallel and control the mix (i.e., the levels) between the two.

Yes, I of course want to use the Leslie on things other than guitar, such as organs and other keyboards (and vocals, as well as synth sounds too). I'm thinking that to do this, I'd just use Amplitube as a shell for the Leslie. That would also let me use Amplitube's other effects too.

I'm guessing the CPU hit doing this should be the same as the separate T-Racks Leslie plugin, but am not sure. Yes, won't be able to have a Leslie inside the T-Racks shell, but that's ok to me. I'd use the shell mainly for mastering and wouldn't use a Leslie in mastering. Yes, I can see in mixing using the T-Racks shell to host the Leslie plus some other T-Racks plugins (i.e., eq, compression), and that way that set of plugins would only use one slot in my daw for the T-Racks shell. But I can live without being able to do that, and, could essentially do the same thing using Blue Cat's Patchwork plugin.

Anyone have any helpful thoughts for me to consider to help make my choice between getting the Collection or only get Leslie for Amplitube. To me, it seems I would not need the T-Racks Leslie in light of what I said above, since I could use the Leslie on non-guitar parts just by using on those tracks Amplitube as a shell for the Leslie, in lieu of using the separate T-Racks Leslie plugin.

I want to buy today, so appreciate the input now.

Thanks!!

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:The AmpliTube version uses the AmpliTube framework which is a full end-to-end rig with amp, cab plus effects and other parts of the chain that are created as a whole and which work together / interact in complex ways due to the modeling technology that IK has created. Each portion of AmpliTube is not just a "block" that does its function without any consideration of the other parts of the AmpliTube chain and the interaction of all components in the chain are guitar/bass focused.

T-RackS functions in multiple ways that are uniquely its own, too, including the ability to have a "single" version or having its processors working in a chain inside the suite (or standalone) for mixing/mastering purposes.
Peter, in the end, if I wanted to run a guitar through a 122 simulation with nothing but the amp, cab, and microphones (i.e. the full Leslie chain), and did it both in Amplitube and T-Racks5, is there going to be a difference in the sound? Does one offer features the other doesn't? That's where I'm confused on the differences.

For instance, can I mix and match amps/cabs in the T-Racks version? Do I have access to the room microphone and different rooms of the Amplitube version? Do they have different latencies? Are there features in one missing from the other or is it mostly about the workflow/environment? More specifically, if I own both, what are the pro's and cons of owning one over the other versus getting both? A comparison chart may be helpful. Note: sorry if this sounds like IK-bashing, that's not at all my intent, I'm really trying to understand the differences to help make a decision.
I haven't seen any sort of real explanation for these questions here or on IKM forum. I'm ready to pre-order this, but frankly need an answer. Peter, can you provide a thorough explanation since the website doesn't?

Reason they done it this way is guitar and Bass players use Leslies and electric piano players use them. So the Amplitube users want it in there and the Keyboard players want it has a rack effect layout like they would using a delay plugin.

The way I understand it both versions overlap a lot it's a question of workflow how you want to work with it. I will be using MODO Bass and Keyscape through it I might re take up learning electric guitar so makes sense to get both.

A lot of people don't like angled 3D graphics and multiple windows on their effect plugins so better for them to have the T-racks version and the T-Racks version will be faster to work with.

The T-Racks version wont give guitar and bass players the visual and workflow simulation of using gear like Amplitube gives.

Jax Pok wrote:Reason they done it this way is guitar and Bass players use Leslies and electric piano players use them. So the Amplitube users want it in there and the Keyboard players want it has a rack effect layout like they would using a delay plugin.

The way I understand it both versions overlap a lot it's a question of workflow how you want to work with it. I will be using MODO Bass and Keyscape through it I might re take up learning electric guitar so makes sense to get both.

A lot of people don't like angled 3D graphics and multiple windows on their effect plugins so better for them to have the T-racks version and the T-Racks version will be faster to work with.

The T-Racks version wont give guitar and bass players the visual and workflow simulation of using gear like Amplitube gives.
Having looked at the screen shots between the two versions, I still just don't get it personally. If I were going to run a guitar through a Leslie, I'd still prefer to just run this as a standalone plugin. The Amplitube interface has some pretty graphics of amps, but once you look at the cabinet page and how features like the EQ are presented, I think the interface gets kind of awkward. There doesn't appear to be a functional difference between the two at all. I'm not even sure if Amplitube's "room" microphones work with these.

Maybe Peter can clear up a question that might explain some of the difference, can I use [for example] a Fender Collection amp in the amp section of Amplitube with a Leslie cabinet? So for example, Super Reverb amp into 147 cabinet? That single plugin UI experimentation would at least be a workflow benefit to the Amplitube version. Or on the other hand, is it only possible to mix and match Leslie amps with Leslie cabinets?

Also Peter, what's the latency like on this for the T-Racks version? We talking the usual 0.5ms (with oversampling) at 44.1khz?

The demos sound great to my ear, and I actually just pre-ordered the T-Racks version yesterday.

Is the Ik Leslie able to output stereo like a chorus would to a mono synth?

Jax Pok wrote:Is the Ik Leslie able to output stereo like a chorus would to a mono synth?
I'm sure it would. Organs and guitars are mono out instruments and there's no way this is a mono only effect.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
Jax Pok wrote:Is the Ik Leslie able to output stereo like a chorus would to a mono synth?
I'm sure it would. Organs and guitars are mono out instruments and there's no way this is a mono only effect.
great I want it to add stereo effect to like a chorus plugin.

Jax Pok wrote:Reason they done it this way is guitar and Bass players use Leslies and electric piano players use them. So the Amplitube users want it in there and the Keyboard players want it has a rack effect layout like they would using a delay plugin.

I gues the perspective here is, that with T-Racks you get more of a genuine “rack effect” for mixing, metaphorically speaking. Whereas AmpliTube will give you the “amp experience”.

I see merits to both. It’s just unfortunate we have to pay more for essentially having the same effect in two different form factors. I’m a bit torn as into which way to lean, but I have pretty much every T-Racks plugin, so I’m starting to consider that version a bit more.

Just got word that this was released as part of T-Racks 5.1.0 (not sure about the Amplitube version). If that pre-order is still up, I'd hurry and take advantage.

Downloading now but haven't used it yet.

I bought the Leslie collection and it's now in the updated T-Racks and Amplitube I like the workflow of both and it's nice seeing what they look like and move like in the Amplitube version.

I'm really happy with them tried it on my synths, Modo Bass, Keyscape it has a real vintage vibe about it and it adds this strange very 3D sound. There's no mix dial would of been nice to have one for the amp and cab. I will have to try it on vocals next the Beatles used it on vocals for some songs and guitar.

Thanks Peter and IK

Now all my music is going to have a Leslie speaker sound on them. Not a bad thing. Its a texture that works well among synths sounds. I have a track called The Grime of History that uses a fast pan on the lead. Its on the lead through the song and is a bit much. But I didn't have anything to replace it. I tried Leslie on it and it worked out great. So now the panning is only on two short parts and the rest of lead is through Leslie. It gives it that gutsy lower mid grind and the swirling insane top end. Very organic sounding and fits right in. I love playing with the speed control quickly to modulate the spin speed.

https://soundcloud.com/musicofplexus/grime

Jax Pok wrote:I bought the Leslie collection and it's now in the updated T-Racks and Amplitube I like the workflow of both and it's nice seeing what they look like and move like in the Amplitube version.

I'm really happy with them tried it on my synths, Modo Bass, Keyscape it has a real vintage vibe about it and it adds this strange very 3D sound. There's no mix dial would of been nice to have one for the amp and cab. I will have to try it on vocals next the Beatles used it on vocals for some songs and guitar.

Thanks Peter and IK
Thanks, I'm glad you are enjoying it! I'll send the team your kind words as well.

plexuss wrote:Now all my music is going to have a Leslie speaker sound on them. Not a bad thing. Its a texture that works well among synths sounds. I have a track called The Grime of History that uses a fast pan on the lead. Its on the lead through the song and is a bit much. But I didn't have anything to replace it. I tried Leslie on it and it worked out great. So now the panning is only on two short parts and the rest of lead is through Leslie. It gives it that gutsy lower mid grind and the swirling insane top end. Very organic sounding and fits right in. I love playing with the speed control quickly to modulate the spin speed.

https://soundcloud.com/musicofplexus/grime
My kingdom for true multiquote here at KVR :)

I did contact you directly about this and have shared this work but I should acknowledge publicly that this sounds GREAT and I personally enjoy the piece immensely - and not only due to the use of our Leslie plugin.

Return to “Effects”