Do Wolfgang Palm's latest synths make PPG Wave 3 redundant?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Come on guys, everyone makes a needless correction once in a while. No harm done, I know words good.

So I guess more specifically, does PPG Wave do stuff that Wavemapper doesn't? Been doing some reading and it seems like maybe unison and multiple parts is one thing. Not hugely important to me but maybe more wavetables too? Different sonic characteristics? i think it has options for different versions of PPG...

Acid Mitch wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
ergo, using adjectives like "wet" to describe water, and "warm" to describe fire, are certainly redundant
Or at least it would be if you didn't get dry water and cold fire/ cool flames.
Except "dry water" is a noun i.e it's own thing, and not just water that just happens to be dry. And "cold/cool" as in "fire/flame" are also exceptions: "Cold" being only a relative position, and the fire only coming to existence under certain circumstances. In the context of Rameses' example, the fire/flame is never going to be cold/cool enough for you to wanna stick your hand inside it :shrug:

Echoes in the Attic wrote:Come on guys, everyone makes a needless correction once in a while. No harm done, I know words good.

So I guess more specifically, does PPG Wave do stuff that Wavemapper doesn't? Been doing some reading and it seems like maybe unison and multiple parts is one thing. Not hugely important to me but maybe more wavetables too? Different sonic characteristics? i think it has options for different versions of PPG...
PPG Wave can play samples, which Wavemapper can't AFAIK (it has an analysis/resynthesis option, though). I also think that the filter is different, because the PPG Wave filter was analog (and the emulation seeks to reproduce its behavior) while the Wavemapper filter is not an emulation any kind of analog counterpart.

That said, AFAIK the way Wavemapper plays wavetables is completely different. It is closer to Steinberg Plex, an older instrument that was also done by Wolfgang Palm: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkCJtu65nxk

Infinite Pro is a different matter. I have an eye on it, and will buy it if I find it with a price around 90 euros. That's THE Wolfgang Palm wavetable synth, IMO.
Fernando (FMR)

yeah I've checked out infinite, demoing it now. Wavemapper just makes a lot more sense to me. I find Infinite bloody confusing.

Echoes in the Attic wrote:yeah I've checked out infinite, demoing it now. Wavemapper just makes a lot more sense to me. I find Infinite bloody confusing.
Yeah, it's way more dense than Wavemapper, IMO. Anyway, I don't think any of the Wolfgang Palm synths replace the old PPG Wave soundwise.
Fernando (FMR)

Echoes in the Attic wrote:Come on guys, everyone needs a needless correction once in a while. No harm done, I know words good.
Corrected that for you. :tu:

We did it everybody, we made the most KVR thread possible, good job!

fmr wrote: PPG Wave can play samples, which Wavemapper can't AFAIK (it has an analysis/resynthesis option, though).
Wavemapper can play samples a couple different ways. It can play them normally (repitched) and also TCS (Time corrected sample) which is basically a good quality time stretch version of playing the sample so it doesn't change length and can be scrubbed through. And yeah it can be analyzed into a wavetable too. But even the TCS is pretty cool because it can go any direction at any point and then morph to another sample, which seems very Kyma-esque, though I haven't tested it much, just seen videos. I used my (stupidly short) one week demo a while back. Maybe I'll demo again with a different email address.
Last edited by Echoes in the Attic on Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dumbledog wrote:We did it everybody, we made the most KVR thread possible, good job!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

What's the copy protection of Wofgang Palm synths and what is it for PPG Wave (which I guess is Waldorf)?

Echoes in the Attic wrote:What's the copy protection of Wofgang Palm synths and what is it for PPG Wave (which I guess is Waldorf)?
Waldorf is a simple serial now (which they call an Activation Code). The same happens to PPG, apparently, although it seems we have a limit of activations (I just have Wavegenerator, which I bought last week, and I just activated it once). When we are installing, it asks for the serial, and validates it. Probably, it "calls home" and activates a counter, which, in the long run, may cause problems, and the need to contact support.

Waldorf doesn't mention any kind of limit.
Fernando (FMR)

Echoes in the Attic wrote: I used my (stupidly short) one week demo a while back. Maybe I'll demo again with a different email address.
That's one of the reasons I don't demo Wolfgang Palm synths. Who can make an informed decision with just seven days, and lots of other things to do (or should we stop do anything else, and just dedicate those seven days to just demoing the synth)?
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:
Echoes in the Attic wrote: I used my (stupidly short) one week demo a while back. Maybe I'll demo again with a different email address.
That's one of the reasons I don't demo Wolfgang Palm synths. Who can make an informed decision with just seven days, and lots of other things to do (or should we stop do anything else, and just dedicate those seven days to just demoing the synth)?
Yeah I know it's a dumb decision by a dev. how does this even protect them in any way? Do they think a month long demo will suddenly make people switch emails every month to perpetually use it, but a week is just too much hassle? I can not understand the logic. Does the dev no good and likely harms sales and pisses off potential users.

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
fmr wrote:
Yeah I know it's a dumb decision by a dev. how does this even protect them in any way? Do they think a month long demo will suddenly make people switch emails every month to perpetually use it, but a week is just too much hassle? I can not understand the logic. Does the dev no good and likely harms sales and pisses off potential users.
Even a month demo is not good enough, IMO. What I like is versions that last as long as we want them, although with limitatiions (a short noise every minute or so, with a session time limit of 30 minutes - like U-He and NI, for example - and without loading and saving of presets). How hard is it to do this?
Fernando (FMR)

I’ve recently picked up Halion, and that completely satisfied my needs for wave sequencing and wavetables. I also find it a lot more intuitive than any of the Wolfgang Palm synths.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Return to “Instruments”