The VSTi That I Would Pay $1,000 For

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

wagtunes wrote:
vurt wrote:im not saying we wont have an acceptable sounding human voice from a computer.
im saying one without any distinguishing artefacts from a real singing voice, is not only going to take the technology but also a damn skilled operator to keep the whole thing fluid, don't forget for this to work you have to somehow automate all those variables, in time with the words you are saying.

and also that said technology when available wont be hitting the streets for a grand, maybe down the line but initially that's going to be, as you've referenced rurassic park, a top end movie sound design tool, for a long while before it becomes consumer level.
Quite possibly, yes. Like I said, it's doubtful I will see this in my lifetime, but one can still hope. I'm sure in 1968 (50 years ago) nobody imagined some of the technology we have today.
That’s actually what makes this thread interesting... while I also don’t think I’ll see this available as a consumer level priced tool in my lifetime, I do think it’s just a matter of time before it does exist.

And when it does exist, this thread if it still exists or is accessible will be very entertaining to read.

Look at what gets done with orchestral libraries and likewise it takes lots of effort to make them not sound programmed on a computer and even then most musicians can still tell the difference.

i know in the 70s they where predicting rocket boots and jet packs for all, flying cars and robot slaves in every home.
by the year 2000 :hihi:

tomorrows world my arse, we not even wearing tin foil track suits :lol:

vurt wrote:i know in the 70s they where predicting rocket boots and jet packs for all, flying cars and robot slaves in every home.

Pfff... speak for yourself. I wear mine everywhere and I look damn good wearing it.

elxsound wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
vurt wrote:im not saying we wont have an acceptable sounding human voice from a computer.
im saying one without any distinguishing artefacts from a real singing voice, is not only going to take the technology but also a damn skilled operator to keep the whole thing fluid, don't forget for this to work you have to somehow automate all those variables, in time with the words you are saying.

and also that said technology when available wont be hitting the streets for a grand, maybe down the line but initially that's going to be, as you've referenced rurassic park, a top end movie sound design tool, for a long while before it becomes consumer level.
Quite possibly, yes. Like I said, it's doubtful I will see this in my lifetime, but one can still hope. I'm sure in 1968 (50 years ago) nobody imagined some of the technology we have today.
That’s actually what makes this thread interesting... while I also don’t think I’ll see this available as a consumer level priced tool in my lifetime, I do think it’s just a matter of time before it does exist.

And when it does exist, this thread if it still exists or is accessible will be very entertaining to read.

Look at what gets done with orchestral libraries and likewise it takes lots of effort to make them not sound programmed on a computer and even then most musicians can still tell the difference.
that said, if wags knows its probably not going to happen in his life time, then perhaps the advice of hiring a singer isn't so terrible.
id personally, in his situation, go with my own voice, for better for worse. his lyrics aren't too bad, think of many memorable singers voices, theyre not necessarily "beautiful" voices. bob dylan, tom waits, johnny cash and so on and so on...
distinctive is as good as amazing in many cases.
look at morissey, whiney and nasal and loved by millions.

elxsound wrote:
vurt wrote:i know in the 70s they where predicting rocket boots and jet packs for all, flying cars and robot slaves in every home.

Pfff... speak for yourself. I wear mine everywhere and I look damn good wearing it.
:hihi:

elxsound wrote:

Looking fine ...

is that for your jimmy saville Halloween costume?

thecontrolcentre wrote:
elxsound wrote:

Looking fine ...
Needs a hat to go with it;
tinfoilhatday-3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

vurt wrote:is that for your jimmy saville Halloween costume?
I got it from his mate Gary ... apparently he doesn't need it any more :shrug:

:lol:
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

I understand that such a tool would be great. But to pay $1000 would be like saying that such a tool is worth more than the host that is used to make it... or than keyboard controller to use it... almost worth the computer itself.

In perspective, I would disagree. $500 for this 1 vocal plug would be ideal.
I read more than post = I listen more than I talk

Within our lifetimes?! I'd bet 5 years tops for an early flawed version of this, conceivably much sooner than that. There will be algorithms that can tweak a voice to generic male / female at the very least, a more sophisticated variant of formant shifting.

Every year iZotope release some part of RX that was one thought impossible, and fundamentally there doesn't seem anything too hard about this conceptually. It's just a lot of number crunching. The way I think of future audio tech is - if the human ear / brain can distinguish something - say, one voice from another - tech will one day be able to manipulate it convincingly.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

vurt wrote:
elxsound wrote:
wagtunes wrote:

that said, if wags knows its probably not going to happen in his life time, then perhaps the advice of hiring a singer isn't so terrible.
id personally, in his situation, go with my own voice, for better for worse. his lyrics aren't too bad, think of many memorable singers voices, theyre not necessarily "beautiful" voices. bob dylan, tom waits, johnny cash and so on and so on...
distinctive is as good as amazing in many cases.
look at morissey, whiney and nasal and loved by millions.
Or at least maybe worth applying a hybrid of the two (vocaloid + self), review vocal recording techniques, review vocal singing techniques and using vocal correction tools as needed.

Maybe the advice he received early on about his vocals was due to bad singing techniques. There are just so many great bad singers throughout the years.

noiseboyuk wrote:Within our lifetimes?! I'd bet 5 years tops
yup. some of us are that old, even 5 years is pushing it if winters are harsh...

noiseboyuk wrote:Within our lifetimes?! I'd bet 5 years tops for an early flawed version of this, conceivably much sooner than that. There will be algorithms that can tweak a voice to generic male / female at the very least, a more sophisticated variant of formant shifting.

Every year iZotope release some part of RX that was one thought impossible, and fundamentally there doesn't seem anything too hard about this conceptually. It's just a lot of number crunching. The way I think of future audio tech is - if the human ear / brain can distinguish something - say, one voice from another - tech will one day be able to manipulate it convincingly.
I agree with that timeframe simply because of the ongoing development of Siri, Cortana and Alexa, but... will that tool be availabile for consumer use in 5 years or are we talking about highly protected and guarded IP?

Return to “Instruments”