In "SexyBack" and "Bad Romance," there's this high pitched drum. What is it?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Sounds like a 909 snare with a clave (or fingersnap) mixed in ...

Yes, it does have a fingersnap quality to it.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

deastman wrote:The Bad Romance sound is claves. The Sexyback... who knows? Could be any kind of high pitched percussion hit, or even synthesized. Maybe try sampling yourself hitting some hard plastic?
I sampled myself bashing my hand against some hard plastic... now my hand hurts... and I don't feel any closer to making the sound... :dog: :dog: :dog:

I mixed a 1% snap with a clav and a conga

and it's still not quite right :ud: but i tried that

FAIL!

AnX wrote:Sounds like a synthetic perc hit from an old Roland unit
ya happen to know which unit?

johnnyfeelgood wrote:I sampled myself bashing my hand against some hard plastic... now my hand hurts... and I don't feel any closer to making the sound... :dog: :dog: :dog:
See, that’s where you went wrong- you’re supposed to bash your HEAD against some hard plastic.

deastman wrote:
johnnyfeelgood wrote:I sampled myself bashing my hand against some hard plastic... now my hand hurts... and I don't feel any closer to making the sound... :dog: :dog: :dog:
See, that’s where you went wrong- you’re supposed to bash your HEAD against some hard plastic.
Oh, and there isn't any snapping in the instrument. i tried it and you just end up hearing a weird snapping in the background

No one knows?

:cry:

---
Last edited by Chapelle on Sat Oct 07, 2023 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chapelle wrote:
johnnyfeelgood wrote:No one knows?

:cry:
I don't hear the same sound in these tracks.

Do you mean these?
https://soundcloud.com/chapellekvr/lady-timberlake
That's it! That's the f**king sound!!!!!! :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

Now how do I download that? And what the heck is that? And how'd you do that?

Sounds like a wood block and then claves through a reverb.

But what I’ve actually learned from this conversation is the importance of bringing sexy back!

---
Last edited by Chapelle on Sat Oct 07, 2023 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chapelle wrote:
johnnyfeelgood wrote:That's it! That's the f**king sound!!!!!! :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

Now how do I download that? And what the heck is that? And how'd you do that?
All has been said, already. The first sound is a bog-standard 808 conga, and the second one is a clave. I don't know where that particular clave comes from, but FL Studio comes with quite a few similar ones.

I made that audio example by simply sampling the sounds from the songs. If you absolutely need to have the EXACT same ones, and don't fear getting sued for using them, I'd suggest you to do the same.
I figured out how to download what you posted. Awesome.

On the topic of getting sued, I hope one day I'm good enough to be sued! AWESOME! :party:

Return to “Production Techniques”