The market for effects seems totally flooded

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

CinningBao wrote:Don't forget PM brass (nothing is anywhere close to real)
If you can't get Sample Modeling brass to sound realistic, I dare say it's user error. :tu:

Granted, it's a mixture of physical modeling and sampling. But I think that's the future anyway, a blend of sampling and synthesis to achieve realism.

michaeltn86 wrote:robotmonkey post is pretty spot on. very nice comment.

as for Uad as many people commented here, it's easy to see they are doing well. not as well as once they used to but they are doing well.

what people in the middle don't understand (people with 3 or more years in making music with computers), in my opinion, it's the fact that they are already used to make music in the computers, the upsides and downsides of plugins, used with the price of plugins, policies changes, etc.

making music is very hard. UAD makes it easy for people who are joining the market. the latency is good as u can monitor directly. you are also likely to pay more attention and be more sensitive to what plugins do if u can monitor in real time.

just think about playing a guitar through an amp sim. it's easier to understand ur tools if u play through it via real time. the way u play it in real time gets affected by ur chain.

that makes a remarkable experience, and u build a trust and relationship with the company in ur head. as for editing things later, or "fix it in the mix" just makes u get in the rabbit hole of trial and error and u just keep messing around if u don't have experience (it's unbelievable hard to understand compression eq translation etc).

so it's not hard to see why people might even say that uad hardware sounds better even if the same code and it's processed in the box. it's very interesting.

they charge for that of course. do I think this model will keep going? no, I don't think so because if ur computer is 2-3 years old, ur computer is pretty good, and if u have a decent latency u'd get seriously angered by their underpowered system and high prices.

I think the key factor to plugins companies is to make people who are entering the market learn to make music with their plugins. so Slate and Waves have a big advantage to their competition with their competitive prices as robotmonkey 's post.

I don't see a big difference and shocking comment about different 1176 emulations or LA-2a emulations, because I didn't learn music with the original hardware. they are all emulating the same hardware, so all in all they are all pretty close to each other. the one u learn to use will sound better in my honest opinion.

different plugins will play a much more drastic difference than two different 1176 emulations. even with 10 years of development apart.

also a interesting comment was about ilok fees and subscription fees. In my opinion, lots of developers (and developers that used to be big ones at that) are making a huge mistake by trying to get that route. because they can't "shake" the market. they are literally self destructing themselves in my opinion.
Uad make sure their plugin first works second they make sure they spent the right time to make it right. Lot of developers want the glory too fast and they fail badly.Tony Klanghelm and Jerome,Tdr are to show others how to do it.Italians and Turkish still don't learn how to make ready products its seem.. I think there might be some flood but the trustworthy and quality are still very few.

funky lime wrote:
If you can't get Sample Modeling brass to sound realistic, I dare say it's user error. :tu:

Granted, it's a mixture of physical modeling and sampling. But I think that's the future anyway, a blend of sampling and synthesis to achieve realism.

I wouldn't make such assumptions if I were you! I don't know if you play brass instruments, but I do and I can tell you none of it is anywhere near the amount of sounds we can make by placing our lips against a mouthpiece.

Whatever you think the future of PM for brass is, for me, it has nothing to do with samples. I expect full physical modelling, from mouthpiece shape, to sticky valves, to dented bells.. so if you're happy with SampleModelling, and they've reached the zenith of (not complete) physical modelling for you, and you can keep it Sir!

I'm waiting for the PianoTeq equivalent of brass models, and drums (including world percussion, not just kicks and snares), and strings (SWARM's good, but still not quite there), and then I'll be waiting for friction machines (wet rubber on glass, wood on wood, metal on metal)... and _maybe_ (going back to the OP) one day we'll have a reverb unit in which we can define a room size, objects in that room, and what they're made of.. and binaural modelling of movement in those spaces.. no impulse responses, no samples..

That's all I expect from PM.

CinningBao wrote:
funky lime wrote:

I wouldn't make such assumptions if I were you! I don't know if you play brass instruments, but I do and I can tell you none of it is anywhere near the amount of sounds we can make by placing our lips against a mouthpiece.

Whatever you think the future of PM for brass is, for me, it has nothing to do with samples. I expect full physical modelling, from mouthpiece shape, to sticky valves, to dented bells.. so if you're happy with SampleModelling, and they've reached the zenith of (not complete) physical modelling for you, and you can keep it Sir!

I'm waiting for the PianoTeq equivalent of brass models, and drums (including world percussion, not just kicks and snares), and strings (SWARM's good, but still not quite there), and then I'll be waiting for friction machines (wet rubber on glass, wood on wood, metal on metal)... and _maybe_ (going back to the OP) one day we'll have a reverb unit in which we can define a room size, objects in that room, and what they're made of.. and binaural modelling of movement in those spaces.. no impulse responses, no samples..

lol your mind is closed isn't it, you just won't believe it no matter what.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

I don't know if the market is flooded but personally I am beyond the point of saturation, too many new release every week.

And lots of very redundant stuff.
Last edited by rod_zero on Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dedication to flying

ATS wrote:
CinningBao wrote:
funky lime wrote:

lol your mind is closed isn't it, you just won't believe it no matter what.
lol, you can't see what I'm actually saying, which demonstrates _your_ close mindedness. not everybody thinks like you, Sir. We all have different reasons for being here (in the audio domain), and perhaps ours are not aligned. that doesn't give you reason to belittle my intentions.

I'm not saying it is impossible to make very good and convincing real-world instruments with or without samples, because I know it is! This thread is about 'too many plugins doing the same thing and people still lap them up'; maybe I should have stuck this in wag's thread about super expensive plugins or something.. i dunno.. my point is that we have yet to accomplish complete physical modelling of real world instruments, that section of the market is most definitely not flooded!

Enjoy your day!

One sale after another!
The market is deteriorating...

martinjuenke wrote:One sale after another!
Don't panic! :hug:

Urs wrote:
martinjuenke wrote:One sale after another!
Don't panic! :hug:
Yes, u-he is an exception!
By the way: I‘m one of your best customers.
Because your products are really something special. :tu:

Return to “Effects”