Would you consider switching to Propellerhead Reason as your main DAW?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion

Would you consider switching to Propellerhead Reason as your main DAW?

Yes
21%
No
65%
It's already my main DAW
6%
Fish
8%

Total votes: 173

RELATED
PRODUCTS
Reason 12

jens wrote:It's 2018, not 2008 - why would you nowadays use freezing? :shrug:
People who still run into CPU overloads...??
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

And for archiving too.

With all this subscription and online activation crap all over the place it is more needed than ever to have the audio files as a backup when (not if) you can't use the original tracks anymore.

Benutzername wrote:And for archiving too.

With all this subscription and online activation crap all over the place it is more needed than ever to have the audio files as a backup when (not if) you can't use the original tracks anymore.
What are you referring to exactly?
The above applies to every DAW and VST, so I'm not sure how it's relevant here?
You can bounce stuff to audio in Reason like you can everywhere else.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

I was referring to the argument, that there is no reason to bounce or freeze in this day and age, especially with Reason.

This statement is absolutely false for Reason because even internal devices may vanish at any point (looking at Line6). The days where Reason was self contained and 100% backwards compatible are long gone.

For archiving you either have to bounce to external audio files when you're done or you have to store a matching copy of Reason with all REs and VSTs along with the project (and hope that the copy protection methods of this package will still work in the future).

Benutzername wrote:I was referring to the argument, that there is no reason to bounce or freeze in this day and age, especially with Reason.

This statement is absolutely false for Reason because even internal devices may vanish at any point (looking at Line6). The days where Reason was self contained and 100% backwards compatible are long gone.

For archiving you either have to bounce to external audio files when you're done or you have to store a matching copy of Reason with all REs and VSTs along with the project (and hope that the copy protection methods of this package will still work in the future).
Oh, I see! +1 obviously :)
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

I used to like Reason when it was initially released. However, today I think the GUI is much too small.. needs to scale to different resolutions. The solution isn't to stack more modules width wise but to just increase the size of the rack modules.

Squinting isn't fun.. I think they got stuck in an 800x600 or 1024x768 mindset and monitor resolutions increased while they didn't. I'm pretty sure they didn't adapt since it was designed around those tiny resolutions, but at this point I think the GUI side needs an entire rewrite to accommodate larger resolutions (and not just stack more modules on the screen at once).

jens wrote:It's 2018, not 2008 - why would you nowadays use freezing? :shrug:
You're either kidding, or you're still using 2004 plugins. ;) I can easily run into CPU overloads with a few instances of rather expensive plugins.

I have all the latest and greatest but no sense of humour. :razz:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

true!

:hihi:

:hihi:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

VitaminD wrote: I think they got stuck in an 800x600 or 1024x768 mindset and monitor resolutions increased while they didn't.
Yes the GUI needs a rework and I'm sure this will come. But for my monitor resolutions (laptop 1366*768 and desktop 1920x1080) it is perfekt. 4K displays are rarely in use on PCs.

Reason was in 2004 my all in one solution to make music and after a journey of DAWs and VSTs I'm back to Reason this year and will stay. No need for another DAW anymore.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”