Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
This forum is sponsored by
T-RackS Group Buy! Up to 5 free mixing and mastering processors!

T-RackS Group Buy - EXTENDED!

Up to 10 for the price of 1 possible.

Mixing and mastering processors, including Lurssen Mastering Console.

Read more at www.ikmultimedia.com
User avatar
tesselode
KVRist
 
83 posts since 18 Jan, 2018
Of course filters are an important part of most synths, but that's a really different experience than using a separate filter effect plugin. Do you use filter effects? If so, what do you like about the ones you use? I've been messing with around with my own filter code, and I realized at some point that I wasn't having as much fun as I would like to be with an effect. And I kind of feel that way about every filter effect? I don't find myself reaching for filter plugins very often.

Anyway, I'm curious how you all use filter effects.
Cinebient
KVRAF
 
3565 posts since 16 Nov, 2014
Good question. Indeed the only filter effect i use sometimes is Logic´s AutoFilter.
Everything else i use just the synths/instruments intern filter since they mostly just work great with all the rest (OSC, FX, envelopes etc.).
I heard good things about The Drop....
But i would pay for the P900 filters (plus saturation) as FX for sure.
Otherwise i use 2CAudio´s Kaleidoscope as filter you could say.
Distorted Horizon
KVRian
 
983 posts since 17 Jan, 2017

Postby Distorted Horizon; Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:44 am Re: What do you like in filter plugins? (if you like filter plugins)

If working with audio files, a filter plugins is a bit must if I want some filter movement to it :D Of course all that can be done with stock EQ but filter plugin might bring some nice flavor to the sound. Depending of the plugin of course, it may have built in tools like sequencer, envelope follow, midi gate, lfo etc etc..
robotmonkey
KVRAF
 
1974 posts since 20 Jun, 2012
Mostly I like fake scratches on the gui.

Unfortunately none of the filter plugins I currently own do not have such a feature.

Filter plugins I have and occasionally use are Ohmygod, BiFilter, Filterbank3 and the filter plugins in the Air Creative Collection. I use them mostly for treating samples, creating fx, occasionally fixing some sound flaw and sometimes I also use them on synths instead of the built in filter.

Ohmygod - great fx comb filter, comes free with CM.
BiFilter - good simple filter with lots of different filter types. Got it free with some magazine.
Filterbank3 - good for fx, has decent modulation options for creating movement, same huge number of filter types like in BiFilter. Also was free with some magazine.
Air Vintage Filter - a simple classic analog type filter that sounds pretty decent. There's also a Filter Gate that I haven't used much. Both were part of the Creative FX Collection + that I got for 15$.
No signature here!
User avatar
do_androids_dream
KVRAF
 
2769 posts since 26 Oct, 2007, from Kent, UK

Postby do_androids_dream; Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:01 am Re: What do you like in filter plugins? (if you like filter plugins)

I like a fairly wide resonance peak/frequency spread. If there's one thing I can't stand it's a very narrow resonance peak that just sounds like an annoying noise at higher levels.
Armagibbon
KVRian
 
681 posts since 20 Apr, 2017
Love parallel filters. Love even more when you can pan em to the sides and modulate a buncha shit. Volcano just owns that shit man.
dubguy99
KVRist
 
77 posts since 28 Jun, 2017
Armagibbon wrote:Love parallel filters. Love even more when you can pan em to the sides and modulate a buncha shit. Volcano just owns that shit man.


I really Fxpansion Etch for that kind of thing. Amazing mod matrix and loads of more crazy filtershapes.
Funkybot's Evil Twin
KVRAF
 
5613 posts since 15 Aug, 2006

Postby Funkybot's Evil Twin; Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:58 am Re: What do you like in filter plugins? (if you like filter plugins)

The Drop gets regular use as a creative effect. Whether it's an auto-wah type effect, a rhythmic gate,distortion, or just otherwise looking to experiment and make something sound more interesting. It's one of those effects I go to when I think a sound "needs something" but I'm not quite sure what it is. I may ultimately decide The Drop isn't the answer, but sometimes it is.
User avatar
soulone82
KVRian
 
850 posts since 16 Aug, 2010, from almost everywhere...
robotmonkey wrote:Mostly I like fake scratches on the gui.


:D
Winstontaneous
KVRian
 
1369 posts since 14 Feb, 2006, from Berkeley, CA

Postby Winstontaneous; Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:19 am Re: What do you like in filter plugins? (if you like filter plugins)

Use 'em a lot for funkifying guitar & bass. Love PSP Stompfilter, SoundToys Filter Freak 1/2 & Cytomic's The Drop as well as Logic/Live built-ins. Interesting that a lot of ITB filters reference the classic MuTron stompboxes, but few go for the more obscure pedals like Electro-Harmonix BassBalls dual filter/distortion or the DOD FX25 -- a truly rude and unruly bandpass filter, secret weapon of reggae/dub bassists for many years.
User avatar
Aloysius
KVRAF
 
21907 posts since 11 Aug, 2008, from a computer
A GUI with fake wood panels.
I didn't get where I am today.
User avatar
el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF
 
10490 posts since 24 May, 2009, from A galaxy, far far away

Postby el-bo (formerly ebow); Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:09 pm Re: What do you like in filter plugins? (if you like filter plugins)

Love how FabFilter have dual filters linked together so that the filter can be played like an instrument. Works great in their filter plugs, but is really special in 'Timeless 2' :love:
User avatar
toonertik
KVRist
 
296 posts since 15 Feb, 2017
robotmonkey wrote:Mostly I like fake scratches on the gui.
Unfortunately none of the filter plugins I currently own do not have such a feature.

Oh, so you missed this one then.. ok, not a filter but an eq.. a freebie..
download/file.php?id=15226
but scratches too easily... after just 1 week it now looks like this
https://img3.picload.org/image/dalaolwr ... q550_2.jpg

from
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=501467
robotmonkey wrote:Filter plugins I have and occasionally use are Ohmygod, BiFilter, Filterbank3 and the filter plugins in the Air Creative Collection. I use them mostly for treating samples, creating fx, occasionally fixing some sound flaw and sometimes I also use them on synths instead of the built in filter.

Yes... Ohmygod issued on CM is now freely available.. FXExpansion, I think!
BiFilter also came on CM from Tone2, creator of the free FireBird synth.
Filterbank3 .. is that by Wok, who did the original Filterbank and Filterbank2? been using them for years.
robotmonkey wrote:Ohmygod - great fx comb filter, comes free with CM.
BiFilter - good simple filter with lots of different filter types. Got it free with some magazine.
Filterbank3 - good for fx, has decent modulation options for creating movement, same huge number of filter types like in BiFilter. Also was free with some magazine.
Air Vintage Filter - a simple classic analog type filter that sounds pretty decent. There's also a Filter Gate that I haven't used much. Both were part of the Creative FX Collection + that I got for 15$.
User avatar
el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF
 
10490 posts since 24 May, 2009, from A galaxy, far far away

Postby el-bo (formerly ebow); Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:01 pm Re: What do you like in filter plugins? (if you like filter plugins)

toonertik wrote:yOhmygod issued on CM is now freely available.. FXExpansion, I think!


No! It's Ohmforce :tu:
User avatar
toonertik
KVRist
 
296 posts since 15 Feb, 2017
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
toonertik wrote:yOhmygod issued on CM is now freely available.. FXExpansion, I think!


No! It's Ohmforce :tu:

Thanks for correction...
Mr E_by_Gum_You_Can_Find_Me_On_EVERY_Thread>>>> :lol:
Next

Moderator: KVR Moderators (Main)

Return to Effects