What do you like in filter plugins? (if you like filter plugins)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Of course filters are an important part of most synths, but that's a really different experience than using a separate filter effect plugin. Do you use filter effects? If so, what do you like about the ones you use? I've been messing with around with my own filter code, and I realized at some point that I wasn't having as much fun as I would like to be with an effect. And I kind of feel that way about every filter effect? I don't find myself reaching for filter plugins very often.

Anyway, I'm curious how you all use filter effects.

Good question. Indeed the only filter effect i use sometimes is Logic´s AutoFilter.
Everything else i use just the synths/instruments intern filter since they mostly just work great with all the rest (OSC, FX, envelopes etc.).
I heard good things about The Drop....
But i would pay for the P900 filters (plus saturation) as FX for sure.
Otherwise i use 2CAudio´s Kaleidoscope as filter you could say.

If working with audio files, a filter plugins is a bit must if I want some filter movement to it :D Of course all that can be done with stock EQ but filter plugin might bring some nice flavor to the sound. Depending of the plugin of course, it may have built in tools like sequencer, envelope follow, midi gate, lfo etc etc..

Mostly I like fake scratches on the gui.

Unfortunately none of the filter plugins I currently own do not have such a feature.

Filter plugins I have and occasionally use are Ohmygod, BiFilter, Filterbank3 and the filter plugins in the Air Creative Collection. I use them mostly for treating samples, creating fx, occasionally fixing some sound flaw and sometimes I also use them on synths instead of the built in filter.

Ohmygod - great fx comb filter, comes free with CM.
BiFilter - good simple filter with lots of different filter types. Got it free with some magazine.
Filterbank3 - good for fx, has decent modulation options for creating movement, same huge number of filter types like in BiFilter. Also was free with some magazine.
Air Vintage Filter - a simple classic analog type filter that sounds pretty decent. There's also a Filter Gate that I haven't used much. Both were part of the Creative FX Collection + that I got for 15$.
No signature here!

I like a fairly wide resonance peak/frequency spread. If there's one thing I can't stand it's a very narrow resonance peak that just sounds like an annoying noise at higher levels.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

Love parallel filters. Love even more when you can pan em to the sides and modulate a buncha shit. Volcano just owns that shit man.

Armagibbon wrote:Love parallel filters. Love even more when you can pan em to the sides and modulate a buncha shit. Volcano just owns that shit man.
I really Fxpansion Etch for that kind of thing. Amazing mod matrix and loads of more crazy filtershapes.

The Drop gets regular use as a creative effect. Whether it's an auto-wah type effect, a rhythmic gate,distortion, or just otherwise looking to experiment and make something sound more interesting. It's one of those effects I go to when I think a sound "needs something" but I'm not quite sure what it is. I may ultimately decide The Drop isn't the answer, but sometimes it is.

robotmonkey wrote:Mostly I like fake scratches on the gui.
:D

Use 'em a lot for funkifying guitar & bass. Love PSP Stompfilter, SoundToys Filter Freak 1/2 & Cytomic's The Drop as well as Logic/Live built-ins. Interesting that a lot of ITB filters reference the classic MuTron stompboxes, but few go for the more obscure pedals like Electro-Harmonix BassBalls dual filter/distortion or the DOD FX25 -- a truly rude and unruly bandpass filter, secret weapon of reggae/dub bassists for many years.

A GUI with fake wood panels.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Love how FabFilter have dual filters linked together so that the filter can be played like an instrument. Works great in their filter plugs, but is really special in 'Timeless 2' :love:

robotmonkey wrote:Mostly I like fake scratches on the gui.
Unfortunately none of the filter plugins I currently own do not have such a feature.
Oh, so you missed this one then.. ok, not a filter but an eq.. a freebie..
download/file.php?id=15226
but scratches too easily... after just 1 week it now looks like this
https://img3.picload.org/image/dalaolwr ... q550_2.jpg

from
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=501467
robotmonkey wrote: Filter plugins I have and occasionally use are Ohmygod, BiFilter, Filterbank3 and the filter plugins in the Air Creative Collection. I use them mostly for treating samples, creating fx, occasionally fixing some sound flaw and sometimes I also use them on synths instead of the built in filter.
Yes... Ohmygod issued on CM is now freely available.. FXExpansion, I think!
BiFilter also came on CM from Tone2, creator of the free FireBird synth.
Filterbank3 .. is that by Wok, who did the original Filterbank and Filterbank2? been using them for years.
robotmonkey wrote: Ohmygod - great fx comb filter, comes free with CM.
BiFilter - good simple filter with lots of different filter types. Got it free with some magazine.
Filterbank3 - good for fx, has decent modulation options for creating movement, same huge number of filter types like in BiFilter. Also was free with some magazine.
Air Vintage Filter - a simple classic analog type filter that sounds pretty decent. There's also a Filter Gate that I haven't used much. Both were part of the Creative FX Collection + that I got for 15$.

toonertik wrote:yOhmygod issued on CM is now freely available.. FXExpansion, I think!
No! It's Ohmforce :tu:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
toonertik wrote:yOhmygod issued on CM is now freely available.. FXExpansion, I think!
No! It's Ohmforce :tu:
Thanks for correction...
Mr E_by_Gum_You_Can_Find_Me_On_EVERY_Thread>>>> :lol:

Return to “Effects”