recommend me a windows based laptop

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all,

I want to upgrade my windows i3 dual core laptop to a much better laptop capable of running larger ableton projects and cpu hungry vsts, I want a laptop as I take my laptop to work and work on prjects in my lunch break, not a mac as I prefer windows, budget around £800, I want a quadcore, I have a spare 8gb of ram to use, Iwould prefer a 17" monitor, I've seen a lenovo Y700 for £799 and an msi for £859.
, any other suggestions would be great.

You will get all the hot brands thrown at you, but I'll tell you HP has been putting out some really nice offerings at very affordable prices lately. I own a new envy and a couple of older Elite books and I love them as far as windows machines go. They just released a new one called the OMEN that is focused at gamers, but sounds like what you are after.

http://store.hp.com/us/en/mdp/Laptops/h ... b=features

Ive found these models which would be better?

1) HP Omen 17-w092na Core i5-6300HQ 8GB 1TB + 128GB SSD GeForce GTX 960M 17 Z5C11EA

2) lenovo y700 17isk i7-6700hq 16gb ram 1tb hdd FHD nvidia 960m ultrabook

3) MSI GL72 7QF-1008UK Core I5-7300HQ 8GB 1TB + 128GB SSD GeForce GTX 960M DVD-RW 17.3 Inch

All around the same price.

Nobody can tell you that. There are a few things I can suggest though.

1: the 7000 series is the newest processors. The difference between a 6000 and a 7000 series is that the newer one sip less power. It may or may not extend battery life depending on the size of the battery.

2: Consider size. The larger and clunkier boxes may be a bit of a pain to haul around. I don't know what you are doing with it though.

3: Ports. Make sure it can do what you want it to.

Dasheesh wrote:You will get all the hot brands thrown at you, but I'll tell you HP has been putting out some really nice offerings at very affordable prices lately. I own a new envy and a couple of older Elite books and I love them as far as windows machines go. They just released a new one called the OMEN that is focused at gamers, but sounds like what you are after.

http://store.hp.com/us/en/mdp/Laptops/h ... b=features
Recently (less than 2 weeks ago) i needed a new notebook that should replace both my 9 years old Sony VAIO notebook (Core 2 Duo CPU) and my HP Pavillion desktop PC (with i5-3350P CPU).
After doing some research i found that one of the current i7-7700HQ based gaming notebooks seems to be the one to go with. Those gaming notebooks usally got a great performance and i was not using for a notebook with lowest power consumption but for one able to replace a desktop PC.

Finally i decided to buy HP OMEN 15.6" (model 15-ce033ng). With a price of 1399 € (incl. 19% VAT) IMO this has a great performance vs price ratio. There might be several better ones but usually those are more expensive and/or got features i might not really need.

Specs for this notebook:
- CPU: Intel Core i7-7700HQ @ 2.80 GHz (4 cores, 8 threads)
- RAM: 16 GB 2400 DDR4
- hard disks (2 internal ones): 256 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD
- GPU: Nvidia Gforce GTX 1050 TI (Max-Q)
- display: 15.6", IPS, non glare, FullHD (1920 × 1080)
- external display connectors: HDMI + mini display port
- wireless: WLAN + Bluetooth
- connections: LAN, 3 x USB 3.1, 1x USB-C 3.1 gen1, soundcard input + output jacks

As an audio interface i got a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 2nd gen connected. My main DAWs are Live 10 Suite and Cubase Pro 9.5.

When used at home a bigger display (connected via mini display port to DVI cable), a mouse (new HP Omen mouse 600) and an external keyboard are connected.
At the USB-C 3.1 port i currently got a hub with 4 USB3 ports connected.

The old HP Pavillion desktop PC (i5-3350P CPU) is still running in another room with an old 17" display connected but in the next few years i want to use the new notebook as my main PC.
In terms of performance this notebook is much better than any PC i had owned before.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Dont expect to be able to use that 8Gb ram you mention you already have
Amazon: why not use an alternative

VariKusBrainZ wrote:Dont expect to be able to use that 8Gb ram you mention you already have
Is that related to my last post here? if yes which 8 GB RAM are you talking about?
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote:
VariKusBrainZ wrote:Dont expect to be able to use that 8Gb ram you mention you already have
Is that related to my last post here? if yes which 8 GB RAM are you talking about?
superstardj01 wrote:I have a spare 8gb of ram to use
Amazon: why not use an alternative

VariKusBrainZ wrote:
OK, i see. So it was related to the OP then.

Personally I am quite happy that my new notebook has 16 GB RAM (quite fast DDR4 2400 MHz) so at least in the next few years i am not expecting trouble concerning this even with using multiple sample libraries in a host project. At least I do not expect problems concerning RAM with the plugins and/or sample libraries i currently own.
Ingo Weidner

Ingonator wrote:
VariKusBrainZ wrote:
OK, i see. So it was related to the OP then.

Personally I am quite happy that my new notebook has 16 GB RAM (quite fast DDR4 2400 MHz) so at least in the next few years i am not expecting trouble concerning this even with using multiple sample libraries in a host project. At least I do not expect problems concerning RAM with the plugins and/or sample libraries i currently own.

What type of track count can it handle (if you don't mind me asking)? Both of my laptops start to overheat once my project nears a moderate track count.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”