Fathom Synth Development Thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fathom Synth

FathomSynth wrote:Introducing Envelope Legato

Have you ever wanted a smooth legato preset with a slow attack of the ADSR on the first note of a phrase in both the Volume and other modulations, but for overlapping legato notes you want to leave out the attack phase and start in the middle of the envelope to get rid of the "thwap thwap thwap" between notes.

We'll now you can do it in the next release with the new envelope Glide On line.

Works just like the Note Off toggle line except you can put it anywhere in the envelope before the Note Off line and the envelope will start from that point for legato notes.
Hi Everett, this is a good idea and now I am wondering if you could also provide an option to make this the loop start point as well (as previously discussed back on page 96)?

EDIT: In fact maybe this doesn't even need any option/UI change since glide on plus loop on together could reasonably produce this behaviour?

P.S Thanks for the detune settings fix :)

progtronic, It's not you, the problem is I introduced a bug with the glide in the last release.

It only happens if there is an ADSR, but the ADSR is making it skip the adjacent (legato) note logic which triggers the glide.

But I will be releasing the fix tonight (almost done).

provoc, Yes I actually plan on making the glide on bar the starting point for the envelope loop if loop note is enabled.

Not this release, but the next since it will take some work.

In terms of the UI option, I see your point that the glide on bar would be the normal way of doing things (which is why I added the feature) but I want to give the user total control, and also you need to be able to possibly move it to different points in the envelope, normally it is just after the attack phase, but someone might have an attack phase of two or three segments.

FathomSynth wrote:provoc, Yes I actually plan on making the glide on bar the starting point for the envelope loop if loop note is enabled.

Not this release, but the next since it will take some work.

In terms of the UI option, I see your point that the glide on bar would be the normal way of doing things (which is why I added the feature) but I want to give the user total control, and also you need to be able to possibly move it to different points in the envelope, normally it is just after the attack phase, but someone might have an attack phase of two or three segments.
Makes sense since more flexibility is always better :)

What I was initially thinking was that with note loop on and glide on, the envelope could loop from the note off/release bar back to the glide on bar (which can already be placed on any segment) and if you wanted to loop the full envelope from start/attack to note off (existing behaviour) you would just turn off the glide bar but of course you would then lose the legato/glide behaviour.

Therefore I am wondering if you are planning on adding a separate loop start bar or reusing the glide on bar because for maximum flexibility one might want a different legato start point to the sustain looping start point? Not sure if any others synths can actually do this so could be a first, (maybe someone with a bigger synth collection that I have can comment if this already exists somewhere?)

I would be happy either way but thought I would throw it out there as a possibility anyway!

Cheers,

provoc

Provoc, Hi, sorry for the delay, the state machine for glide handling is a bit complex and I'm testing everything before the new release, which will hopefully be very soon, like today in a couple hours.

I apologize to anyone who noticed their melodies were chopped up by the last release!

You are correct that two different envelope bars would be ideal, a different one for glide start and loop start. But there's certain point where the complexity out weights the benefits. Most of the time you would want the envelope texturing loop to be the same group of segments as the glide loop. So I'm going to keep it simple for how. In the future if people ask for two different bars I will reconsider. Also I hate to admit but the envelope page is out of space for another toggle, so I would be waiting anyway until there are enough additional features to warrant making a second envelope page.

So your smooth melodies will be returning today soon.

Version 2.9.5 Released for Windows and Mac.

https://www.fathomsynth.com/updates/

This release fixes the ADSR glide legato problem. :)

FathomSynth wrote:Provoc, Hi, sorry for the delay, the state machine for glide handling is a bit complex and I'm testing everything before the new release, which will hopefully be very soon, like today in a couple hours.

I apologize to anyone who noticed their melodies were chopped up by the last release!

You are correct that two different envelope bars would be ideal, a different one for glide start and loop start. But there's certain point where the complexity out weights the benefits. Most of the time you would want the envelope texturing loop to be the same group of segments as the glide loop. So I'm going to keep it simple for how. In the future if people ask for two different bars I will reconsider. Also I hate to admit but the envelope page is out of space for another toggle, so I would be waiting anyway until there are enough additional features to warrant making a second envelope page.

So your smooth melodies will be returning today soon.
Sounds good, thanks for the clarification!

Strange issue with freezing one particular track. Need ideas to check on to hopefully get notes to end.

https://youtu.be/dq0mrjNWCJQ
Win10 x64, Reaper 6.XX x64, i5-3330, 8gb ram, GTX-970, UC-33, Panorama P4, Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 and JVC HA-RX700

Frostline, I watched the video, looks like a note is getting stuck on by Fathom missing the note off somehow.

So it only misses the note when you are freezing the track, not playing the track in real time?

Could you post the preset here for that track.

FathomSynth wrote:Frostline, I watched the video, looks like a note is getting stuck on by Fathom missing the note off somehow.

So it only misses the note when you are freezing the track, not playing the track in real time?

Could you post the preset here for that track.
When playing the track from the track beginning it will sometimes miss the note off for the first note and almost always on the long note at the end.
However if I start playback anywhere after the start of the last note it will release correctly.

I tried narrowing it down by by-passing (making green) the various parts of the patch and seeing what freeze would do. I even went as far as disconnecting the osc from the rest of the modules. Oddly when unfreezing Fathom would forget the bypassing (making green) but it would remember the disconnection of modules.
But on all freezes the last note was always stuck but I did manage to get a freeze where the first note was fine. So I am just pulling the track volume down with automation where the last note should end.

No other tracks/patches seem to do this. And the seeming randomness of the first note having the issue(and the copies of the same midi following it never do) and the consistency of the last note having the issue is strange.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Win10 x64, Reaper 6.XX x64, i5-3330, 8gb ram, GTX-970, UC-33, Panorama P4, Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 and JVC HA-RX700

Some feature requests for the list:

- It would be nice to have faster LFO speeds, 1/16th isn't fast enough. Up to audible range if possible.
- Distortion as an audio component.

Hi, I have downloaded the demo but neither Reaper nor Cubase finds the dll. I have Windows 64 bit. Only after I had installed the 32 bit version I could use fathom. Unfortunately, only in Reaper because Cubase prevents a 32bit dll.
Owner of the FB site of Audioterm

PietW, Are you on Windows 7 or 10? Is this the Mono or Pro version?

Did you read the user guide section 1.1 Installation?

Have you installed Visual Studio C++ Redistributable 2012 and 2017?

Yes. I did everything but fathom does not work as 64 bit. Only 32bit and only in Reaper. Cubase puts it on the blacklist. The Mono Version

I have Win10. I have the 32bit and 64bit dll in my VST-Folder.

It's been dealt with. No PayPal no fathom.

too bad it did not work

I see that the special Windows 10 MT build is not available anymore.
Should I now just be using the regular version on Windows 10 Reaper? Or the Win10 HS version?
Demo/soundtrack work: https://soundcloud.com/antaln
My post/prog rock band: http://www.sylvium.com

Return to “Instruments”