SoundMorph: Dust, granular flow motion

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

There’s an update

Where did you see that? Never received anything...

Any info of what has been updated?

Fixed Issue:

Crash when toggling Dust On and Off (More frequent in Ableton Live)

That's the only fix.

elassi wrote:Fixed Issue:

Crash when toggling Dust On and Off (More frequent in Ableton Live)

That's the only fix.
:zzz:

(but still thanks for the headsup)

You guys received an email in your inbox?

Yes

Ok thanks. Weird, never got anything. Never got anything ever from them in my inbox in fact :lol:

Neon Breath wrote:
Cinebient wrote:There are a few other minor things but it's still a unique sound design tool for me.
Definitely unique! Nothing like it on the market yet. So that's great. It's really powerful, no doubt about that. I like it even more than I thought I would, since I've been disappointed with some other SoundMorph products. I hesitated a long time before diving and getting it, and I'm glad I did! Amazing tool in my soundscape arsenal.

Now, here's a trick for the ones saying that Dust sounds a bit too sequenced and that the particles are emitted in a too regular or repetitive way. To break that receptiveness I use a noise LFO with PW set to the maximum for a completely smooth noise, applied to a bunch of settings like the position, the interval, the length. Also works great on the decay & the sustain. That creates very smooth chaos and & an organic randomness to the overall sound and eliminate the initial sequenced sound Dust can have... :P
Thinking that you obviously never used Padshop PRO. There you can modulate everything with everything, just crazy. So lively and controllable. For me as a sound designer and keyboard player it has a very important advantage: you can play it like a real instrument to achieve great musical results. It has adrs control and plays chromatically. Is that possible already with Dust?

I don't know. These guys have DUST out for over a year now and it still seems unfinished, rushed and somehow not quite conceptually thought out. As a random sample generator to re-sample the outcome or re-synthesize it, maybe with a PPG synthesizer, it might be great but that's not enough for me :(

Someone said earlier in that thread that DUST doesn't sound "good". In granular synthesis it's all just a matter of input. Shit in, shit out is the rule of thump here. Make good sounding beefy samples or feed in excellent synths, live sounds or real instruments and you will have amazing results. Of course in all cases I know the filters of granular instruments do not sound as good as - let's say - the filters U-HE uses in their fantastic synthesizers... filters used in granular tools are digital sounding. But again, if you use good resource material that's not a problem at all and you should see the given filters as a tool to remove rumble on the bottom and harshness on the high end.

I think it is important to use your own samples or good produced recordings as a base or even better your own field recordings. With the stuff Soundmorph or Glitchmachines provide you will not come far.

Cheers

nichttuntun wrote:
Neon Breath wrote:
Cinebient wrote:There are a few other minor things but it's still a unique sound design tool for me.
Definitely unique! Nothing like it on the market yet. So that's great. It's really powerful, no doubt about that. I like it even more than I thought I would, since I've been disappointed with some other SoundMorph products. I hesitated a long time before diving and getting it, and I'm glad I did! Amazing tool in my soundscape arsenal.

Now, here's a trick for the ones saying that Dust sounds a bit too sequenced and that the particles are emitted in a too regular or repetitive way. To break that receptiveness I use a noise LFO with PW set to the maximum for a completely smooth noise, applied to a bunch of settings like the position, the interval, the length. Also works great on the decay & the sustain. That creates very smooth chaos and & an organic randomness to the overall sound and eliminate the initial sequenced sound Dust can have... :P
Thinking that you obviously never used Padshop PRO. There you can modulate everything with everything, just crazy. So lively and controllable. For me as a sound designer and keyboard player it has a very important advantage: you can play it like a real instrument to achieve great musical results. It has adrs control and plays chromatically. Is that possible already with Dust?

I don't know. These guys have DUST out for over a year now and it still seems unfinished, rushed and somehow not quite conceptually thought out. As a random sample generator to re-sample the outcome or re-synthesize it, maybe with a PPG synthesizer, it might be great but that's not enough for me :(

Someone said earlier in that thread that DUST doesn't sound "good". In granular synthesis it's all just a matter of input. Shit in, shit out is the rule of thump here. Make good sounding beefy samples or feed in excellent synths, live sounds or real instruments and you will have amazing results. Of course in all cases I know the filters of granular instruments do not sound as good as - let's say - the filters U-HE uses in their fantastic synthesizers... filters used in granular tools are digital sounding. But again, if you use good resource material that's not a problem at all and you should see the given filters as a tool to remove rumble on the bottom and harshness on the high end.

I think it is important to use your own samples or good produced recordings as a base or even better your own field recordings. With the stuff Soundmorph or Glitchmachines provide you will not come far.

Cheers
You can play Dust chromatic (but it might be not so easy to set-up as a usual granular synth).
I´m also not sure if Padshop can do the binaural spaces.
What i like about Dust is when i can use modulations per particle (up to 200 particle at the same time are possible). Each of the triggered particle can have it´s own way trough pitch, binaural place and more. And then you can have 8 emitters (but still 200 particles is the max of all together).
It´s hard to describe but i doesn´t heard any other tool which can do what Dust can. The flow field is a great place to experiment. It has nothing to do with a normal granular synth for me.
But Dust is unstable at times and the FX version is still nothing i can use.
But i´m still happy of what i can achieve with it.
I still think nothing else can do that this way.

No I don't think padshop creates binaural spaces. Are they done with the reverberation in DUST? I personally do not like much when a special characteristic of an instrument is achieved by a build in effect module.

I admit the pure facts sound very good for DUST but I am musically thinking and I don't want to build things up on a complicated way. I want to play cromatically right away. If they implement such a thing and DUST will be stable one day it maybe could become a choice for me when it's on sale. Cheers.

nichttuntun wrote:No I don't think padshop creates binaural spaces. Are they done with the reverberation in DUST? I personally do not like much when a special characteristic of an instrument is achieved by a build in effect module.

I admit the pure facts sound very good for DUST but I am musically thinking and I don't want to build things up on a complicated way. I want to play cromatically right away. If they implement such a thing and DUST will be stable one day it maybe could become a choice for me when it's on sale. Cheers.
DUST is more like a modular system where you have to tell it what to do - playing chromatically is not difficult but you have to set that with a couple of mouse clicks

I think the main drawback with DUST is the lack of tutorial videos that start with something incredibly simple - like a single vibraphone hit - and then build that up in a logical way to show how the various parameters work
Last edited by woggle on Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

nichttuntun wrote:No I don't think padshop creates binaural spaces. Are they done with the reverberation in DUST? I personally do not like much when a special characteristic of an instrument is achieved by a build in effect module.

Well, i understand that and while i love Dust for the things i like to do i´m not sure to trust the developers to fix bugs and other weird things.
I mainly use Dust for textures and soundscapes like background stuff. Once you dived in it is easy and fast to create some weird or interesting stuff :)
F.e. i took a second out of one of my tracks and used just one emitter of the eight here and set up just a few of the modulations here and there. The convolver is not used here as well.
This is a very fast and simple set-up preset but i think Dust is great (for me at least). Beware that things can go much much more complex (with a price of very high cpu-usage).
Nothing special but i like how i can transform a simple 1 second sample and play some interesting textures which are set-up in a minute or so. In this case i triggered it just via midi input (set it up to chromatic midi pitch mode which of course is not always great if you use samples which includes chords, drums and whatever FX).
Indeed, the binaural spaces are "dry".
https://soundcloud.com/user-790535032/dust-textures

Another one. First you hear the sample i used and then 2 mainly the same presets (4 emitters here) but with different flow field algorithms (you also can enter your own).
I just wish Dust wouldn´t be so damn buggy and unstable and sometimes it´s hard to get not out of control.
I bought it at intro price so it was a good deal for me so far. I just wish some other developers would take such a tool to perfection.
https://soundcloud.com/user-790535032/dust-textures-2

nichttuntun wrote:
Thinking that you obviously never used Padshop PRO.

Cheers
Apples and oranges. Or a car and a motorcycle.

Padshop is very far away from Dust. The only thing they have in common is that they both use granular synthesis. That's it. (Oh no wrong! They both have another common thing: their'r customer service sucks and is really bad :hihi: )

I know because I use and own both. Incomparable.

Neon Breath wrote:
nichttuntun wrote:
Thinking that you obviously never used Padshop PRO.

Cheers
Apples and oranges. Or a car and a motorcycle.

Padshop is very far away from Dust. The only thing they have in common is that they both use granular synthesis. That's it. (Oh no wrong! They both have another common thing: their'r customer service sucks and is really bad :hihi: )

I know because I use and own both. Incomparable.
Steinberg sucks ass. I never got replies and i avoid their products. I think about selling padshop pro too. Halion was interesting for me but their shit vsts handling is from pre 2000 abd cumbersome.
Only thing i like is hypersonic2 because of nostalgia and my first music projects.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Return to “Instruments”