Korg updates its Legacy Collection with a new Arp Odyssey emulation

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ARP Odyssey M1 MDE-X: Software Effects Suite Mono/Poly MS-20 Polysix Wavestation

Good idea! I will run a test tomorrow about RePro 5 as I'm also puzzled for the Reaper's result.

About ARP Odyssey, no demo ok, but user manual maybe atleast ? googled for hardware only (still hope to see his features before upgrade)

EnGee wrote:Good idea! I will run a test tomorrow about RePro 5 as I'm also puzzled for the Reaper's result.
Ok, I have just done some tests with Reaper, Cubase and Reason. I used RePro 5 64bit VSTi (not VST3). All hosts have the same configuration:
Power Options: High Performance
Presonus iTwo ASIO: Buffer 256 / Sample rate 44.1 Khz
Windows 10 64bit Home with latest updates / 16GB RAM / SSD 500GB / Ryzen 5 1600X
RePro 5 VSTi 64bit (latest) - Preset in Pads-Synths -> HS Low Riser - unison

one note as it is unison (thanks Ingonator for correcting me!)
-------------------------------------------

Reaper 5.77 - enabling Multi-Core in the preset -> 5 instances
Reaper 5.77 - MC not enabled -> 2 instances

Reason 10 - enabling MC -> 11 instances
Reason 10 - MC not enabled -> 11 instances

Cubase 9 - enabling MC -> 17 instances
Cubase 9 - MC not enabled -> 14 instances

So, it seems Reaper has a problem with Ryzen processors! With my previous i5-4570 I have never had such poor performance!

I'll see if I can report it to Cockos or just mentioning it in their forums.
Last edited by EnGee on Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

EnGee wrote: RePro 5 VSTi 64bit (latest) - Preset in Pads-Synths -> HS Low Riser - unison
C Major Chord of three notes
That preset you mentioned uses unison so with Repro-5 as it has no poly unison it is monophonic. So how did you play a C Major chord with it? With using multiple instances?
The preset called "HS Low Riser - poly" is a polyphonic version of that patch.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote:
EnGee wrote: RePro 5 VSTi 64bit (latest) - Preset in Pads-Synths -> HS Low Riser - unison
C Major Chord of three notes
That preset you mentioned uses unison so with Repro-5 as it has no poly unison it is monophonic. So how did you play a C Major chord with it? With using multiple instances?
The preset called "HS Low Riser - poly" is a polyphonic version of that patch.
oops! I think you are right, so it is just one note then!

EnGee wrote:Ok, I have just done some tests with Reaper, Cubase and Reason. I used RePro 5 64bit VSTi (not VST3). All hosts have the same configuration:
Power Options: High Performance
Presonus iTwo ASIO: Buffer 256 / Sample rate 44.1 Khz
Windows 10 64bit Home with latest updates / 16GB RAM / SSD 500GB / Ryzen 5 1600X
RePro 5 VSTi 64bit (latest) - Preset in Pads-Synths -> HS Low Riser - unison

one note as it is unison (thanks Ingonator for correcting me!)
-------------------------------------------

Reaper 5.77 - enabling Multi-Core in the preset -> 5 instances
Reaper 5.77 - MC not enabled -> 2 instances

Reason 10 - enabling MC -> 11 instances
Reason 10 - MC not enabled -> 11 instances

Cubase 9 - enabling MC -> 17 instances
Cubase 9 - MC not enabled -> 14 instances

So, it seems Reaper has a problem with Ryzen processors! With my previous i5-4570 I have never had such poor performance!

I'll see if I can report it to Cockos or just mentioning it in their forums.
How curious. Would be interested to know what you discover. I'd have thought something fundamental was a well known thing. Perhaps its an obscure combo of Ryzen, Reaper and your soundcard? I've read that Ryzen doesn't like low latencies, but 256 isn't really low and your issue seems to be Reaper-specific.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Echoes in the Attic wrote:Different strokes. I use a mouse for 10 hours a day with my job so I try to avoid it for music but still like the convenience of software.
Same here but that's precisely why I use it with my music software - it's something I am already really good at that's sitting right there, ready to go. I even go to the extent of using exactly the same mouse at work and at home so that the experiences are seamless, kind of like finding the keyboard that feels best for your playing style.
c_voltage wrote:About ARP Odyssey, no demo ok, but user manual maybe atleast ? googled for hardware only (still hope to see his features before upgrade)
You don't even get a decent manual after you've bought it but if you're interested I can post a link to what's there later tonight (when I get home from work).
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

would the original manual from 1976 be helpful to anyone? you can get that from here:

http://www.arpodyssey.com/oddyman.html

There is the iOS version manual and it's almost identical to the desktop. Just google it and you will find it, or just try to search the Korg downloads.

Here:
http://www.korg.com/us/support/download ... /435/2025/

and this:

For those keeping score at home, it's now been 3 months since KORG promised new, updated GUIs for the Legacy Collection!

I realize this is a somewhat involved process, especially if they are creating resizable interfaces, and I hope that's the case. But seems to me even just ONE person working full-time could achieve quite a bit toward this goal in 3 months!? I hope this development isn't being swept under the rug, or placed on the lowest possible priority!

Oh well, the wait continues. We've waited over a decade for this change, and I guess another decade isn't too much to expect. Maybe on my tombstone it could read, "All he wanted was the updated GUIs for the Korg Collection - but the wait won!".

Also, I've never seen it mentioned (or don't remember), but is the GUI for the Korg Odyssey larger and fully-legible on modern computer screens/resolutions? (I assume I'd hear a clamor if it was resizable!)

Also, also, do we really need full-sized keyboards (as on the Odyssey) taking up valuable screen real estate on modern synth plugins? I know I would rarely, if ever ,use such a keyboard, and would much prefer a smaller, more symbolic, wider-ranged mini keyboard, or even better the option to remove the keyboard altogether, and and let the front panel (or other panels) fill this wasted space!

SciFiArtMan wrote: Also, also, do we really need full-sized keyboards (as on the Odyssey) taking up valuable screen real estate on modern synth plugins? I know I would rarely, if ever ,use such a keyboard, and would much prefer a smaller, more symbolic, wider-ranged mini keyboard, or even better the option to remove the keyboard altogether, and and let the front panel (or other panels) fill this wasted space!
The Odyssey plugin has 3 display modes (available as symbols at the upper right of the GUi or in the menu): Only the main controls (no keyboard and effects), the main controls + keyboard and main controls + keyboard + effects

If you scroll up with the mouse wheel you also get the step sequencer. With the 3rd mode mentioned above when scroled up you the get the main controls, effects and seuencer without the keyboard displayed.

At the 3rd mode the height is close to the maximum in a Full HD resolution. Not sure if this automatically adapts to 4K displays.

So at the 3rd mode with the biggest size it is possible to have all controls including effects and step sequencer at a singe page.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

I just wish the skins followed changing the filter type. I do not get why skins were implemented as they are, even being able to set a default skin would be better than having them follow the preset. You have to start designing your presets from within the right skin to "choose" what one to use for the patch, and I don't see any way to change it after the fact.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

SciFiArtMan wrote:
Also, I've never seen it mentioned (or don't remember), but is the GUI for the Korg Odyssey larger and fully-legible on modern computer screens/resolutions? (I assume I'd hear a clamor if it was resizable!)
No! It is not resizable! It is barely readable though on FHD resolutions (slightly better than the old ones).

Also, also, do we really need full-sized keyboards (as on the Odyssey) taking up valuable screen real estate on modern synth plugins? I know I would rarely, if ever ,use such a keyboard, and would much prefer a smaller, more symbolic, wider-ranged mini keyboard, or even better the option to remove the keyboard altogether, and and let the front panel (or other panels) fill this wasted space!
Personally, I'm not so bothered with the keyboard as I can expand all and scroll up. This would show only the synth with the keys chopped.

Yesterday I also compared the Rack Extensions of Mono/Poly with the VSTi version. I think the RE version needs an update as well! I don't think I want to buy the RE of Korg synths really now! They seem with washed out colours and the fonts not so clear!

Here is the RE version:
MonoPoly_RE.jpg
and here is the VSTi:
MonoPoly_VSTi.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Yeah, I don't know how they figured that was a good interface. I'll take the VST as well, with the effects and even the keyboard.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

They just copied the hardware. Every time I load up Mono/Poly or PolySix, it takes me straight back to 1982 when I bought a real Mono/Poly.
SciFiArtMan wrote:Also, I've never seen it mentioned (or don't remember), but is the GUI for the Korg Odyssey larger and fully-legible on modern computer screens/resolutions?
What do you mean by "modern" screens/res? I've been working on 1920x1200 screens for 15 years or so and that's exactly what the new laptop I bought last October has, too. The last change I went through wasn't resolution so much as aspect ratio, moving from 4:3 to 16:9, but that was last century. The older Korg UIs are just bad, slavishly mimicking the hardware with no thought about usability on screen.
Also, also, do we really need full-sized keyboards (as on the Odyssey) taking up valuable screen real estate on modern synth plugins?
It is visible by default but you can either choose the smaller window that eliminates it or scroll it out of the window to expose the next rack of controls, which is my preference most of the time (because that's where the master volume is). And it is definitely much easier to work with than the others.
braj wrote:I just wish the skins followed changing the filter type. I do not get why skins were implemented as they are, even being able to set a default skin would be better than having them follow the preset. You have to start designing your presets from within the right skin to "choose" what one to use for the patch, and I don't see any way to change it after the fact.
Who cares? It's just a gimmick, it doesn't affect anything. It's kinda cool but the synth is so easy to program that you can start with whichever UI you like and just make whatever sound you need.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Return to “Instruments”