Strange issue with Waldorf synths on MacOS High Sierra

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have an issue with Waldorf synth plugins on MacOS High Sierra that borders slightly on the absurd and was wondering if somebody has experienced something similar and/or has some other insights relevant to that problem.

Sometimes, for no apparent reason, something creates a "?Waldorf" preset directory in addition to the "Waldorf" preset directory. The problem is that a directory with a name that starts with a question mark screws up the system. It is accessible through the terminal (where I can delete it manually), but it will, for example, break Time Machine or cause erratic behavior in Finder.

What makes this really annoying is that MacOS High Sierra also copies everything into a local snapshot for backup. So, whenever this directory appears, I not only need to delete it from the general preset folder, I also need to delete all local snapshots so that the system starts working properly again.

I have no idea what creates this directory. My current best guess - supported by anecdotal evidence - is that it is created during plugin scanning. But that is really only a guess at this point.

Did somebody else observe such a behavior?
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

I recently installed the Largo demo, after removing it I found I was left with a Waldorf folder in Audio>Presets. The folder appears to be empty. If I try to move to trash I get error "The operation can’t be completed because one or more required items can’t be found. (Error code -43)". When I click OK a second Walfdorf folder is shown in finder — which disappears on refresh. I was going to email Waldorf about that.

db3 wrote:I recently installed the Largo demo, after removing it I found I was left with a Waldorf folder in Audio>Presets. The folder appears to be empty. If I try to move to trash I get error "The operation can’t be completed because one or more required items can’t be found. (Error code -43)". When I click OK a second Walfdorf folder is shown in finder — which disappears on refresh. I was going to email Waldorf about that.
That is exactly the issue! Thanks, at least I now have an explanation that does not involve my drive dying.

Btw, you can get rid of the folder if you open the terminal, switch to the preset directory and remove the leftover folder with a „rm -rf“ command. The folder you need to remove should be called „?Waldorf“. The question mark triggers the behavior you are observing.

mgw38 wrote:Btw, you can get rid of the folder if you open the terminal, switch to the preset directory and remove the leftover folder with a „rm -rf“ command. The folder you need to remove should be called „?Waldorf“. The question mark triggers the behavior you are observing.
Thanks for the heads-up. I couldn't delete the ?Waldorf folder immediately with terminal, I first had to cd into the folder and delete hidden (ls -a) ?Largo and .DS_Store files. Then I was able to delete the ?Waldorf folder :tu:

Hopefully that's the last I see of it.

db3 wrote:
mgw38 wrote:Btw, you can get rid of the folder if you open the terminal, switch to the preset directory and remove the leftover folder with a „rm -rf“ command. The folder you need to remove should be called „?Waldorf“. The question mark triggers the behavior you are observing.
Thanks for the heads-up. I couldn't delete the ?Waldorf folder immediately with terminal, I first had to cd into the folder and delete hidden (ls -a) ?Largo and .DS_Store files. Then I was able to delete the ?Waldorf folder :tu:

Hopefully that's the last I see of it.
Yup, it is a slightly dangerous bug.

If you are using Time Machine it will now hang because a copy of the folder is also in a local snapshot. If that is the case you can either delete all local snapshots or wait until the system purges them for you (which happens after 24 hours, I think).

Thanks for the info. Assume I'll be ok as I only do TM backups manually, and last one was before installing Largo. NB) I now see the following within the Largo requirements on Waldorf site. Apple OSX - 10.9.5, 10.10.5, 10.11.6 and 10.12.x (not compatible with High Sierra)

Just an update in case somebody finds this searching for a solution to the problem. Waldorf has a fix. At this point you need to contact Waldorf support since the update is not officially released yet.

Just a followup. I don't know at what point they released the update, but Largo v1.7.5 is available on Waldorf's site, which hopefully fixes this issue.

It bit me again today.. else I wouldn't have noticed.

The problem persists with Bitwig for some strange reason. Bitwig creates a plugin preset index and that will still produce a ?Waldorf folder in the Bitwig index location. But I haven’t had any problems anymore with Ableton and Cubase.

I’ve noticed this bug as well with the waldorf presets. Glad it’s not just me.

f**king waldorf needs to get their shit together and offer better support for mac users. This is unacceptable.

I also keep getting the odd random crash in PPG wave 3.v which hasn’t been fixed for years... pretty much making it unreliable for anything serious.

Waldorf Edition II is rock solid though.(Knock on wood)
:borg:

I haven't noticed this as I updated as soon as it was available, so maybe this sorted the problem. It may be worth contacting Waldorf so that they are aware?

I still get the odd crash with Largo & PPG Wave V.3 - I'm always a bit nervous when using their synths and it diminishes the 'Pro' value somewhat :(
It's a pity they seem a bit unstable compared to other companies as they are excellent sounding synths.

I've reached out to Waldorf about this issue. It has occurred again on my system.. perhaps related to doing plugin scans? I'm not sure. Anyway, hopefully they'll be able to fix it. Pretty annoying.

V0RT3X wrote:I’ve noticed this bug as well with the waldorf presets. Glad it’s not just me.

f**king waldorf needs to get their shit together and offer better support for mac users. This is unacceptable.

I also keep getting the odd random crash in PPG wave 3.v which hasn’t been fixed for years... pretty much making it unreliable for anything serious.

Waldorf Edition II is rock solid though.(Knock on wood)
Hahaha. Just so you know Waldorf has NEVER been Mac people, and Mac keeps changing its directory system every other month, so that’s your Problem. They are constantly playing catch up... like most devs. My guess is they will release a fix but Mac will change things up again and it will be a cycle.

To their credit they really made an effort to fix this. I was in contact with one of the developers and he worked with me quite closely to find the bug. It initially appeared on every DAW. That has been fixed in the most recent plugin versions. But I recently noticed that Bitwig is doing something else that made the problem resurface only on Bitwig. I reported that to Waldorf so they know about it. But I did not follow up since I am not a regular Bitwig user. I decided to deinstall Bitwig instead. My upgrade plan was running out anyway. If you have the issue on Bitwig you can work around the problem with Time Machine by exluding the Bitwig index directory from the backup.

Pretty sure it’s that guy that did Nlog for IOS that is thier Mac programmer now.. Unless they hired more people. MAC is a new thing for Waldorf though. When they decided to tackle the problem they hired that guy http://www.temporubato.com/index.php?page=ProdPRO to make thier NAVE synth, and my GUESS is that they hired him on as the Mac guy after the success of that. He’s good with the IOS stuff. Nlog was one of my favorite IPad synths. Good programmer!

Return to “Instruments”