BR: W9 - panning clip to the right fades clip-waveformgraphic away

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

just stumbled over this while playing around with the lombardo loops:

panning a clip to the right fades away the wavformgraphic, but the clip is fully hearable on the right side (as it should).

panning to the left keeps it correctly.
with pan law set to -6 also shows the loudness going up when set to the left.

bump ...

am i the only one seeing this?
i am on w9 for mac osx 64bit.

Edit: additional info: this happens with mono-files

I saw something similar on T6. didn't care though...

Interesting discovery. I'm not quite sure what the "correct" behaviour would be for panning a mono clip.
At the moment, it effectively pans it in the track's stereo bus but I'm tempted to say that a mono clip is mono and shouldn't be able to be panned?

Any thoughts?

the audible panning of mono-clips is absolutely helpful and a great feature! please don't change that.
the track outputs to a stereo-bus and to be able to pan mono-objects on tracks, opens up very effective workflows (avoiding automation for example). it may conflict with trackpanning, but it is the users responsibility, to know what he/she is doing.

the "bug" i mentioned is, that the viewable waveform graphic of the mono-clip should not dissapear, when a clip is panned to the right. for panning of mono clips, the waveform graphic of the clip should not change at all. the (mono)audiostream is just steared more to the L or R channel of the track and the clip itself is untouched (as opposed to gain changes of the clip itself).
the clip graphic view should reflect that.

Edit:
for stereoclips, the change of the clips waveform-graphic is correct, as the gain of L or R is basically changed. it looks as if a monoclip is handled as stereoclip graphically, with only the left channel visible.
but audibly it is handled correctly, as the audio is not changed in gain, but moved between left/right.

Ok, I can fix that.

I'm trying to think a bit more long term on this behaviour though if we ever add multi-channel tracks such as surround. However, it seems like mono audio clips would be the simple case here, we'd probably have to introduce a surround panner and the clip would visually stay the same.
Stereo -> surround panning would be the complex case.

dRowAudio wrote:Interesting discovery. I'm not quite sure what the "correct" behaviour would be for panning a mono clip.
At the moment, it effectively pans it in the track's stereo bus but I'm tempted to say that a mono clip is mono and shouldn't be able to be panned?

Any thoughts?
I think otherwise because it would break the symmetry.
the particular advantage of the tracktion paradigm is that we have stereo output to the buss anyway, and can switch from mono to stereo at any point in the plugin chain of the track.
but we can already pan a mono clip at the clip properties level.

I do this regularly in that I mount 2 mono clips in the same track over each other, and pan them L and R, because their names are "acoustic git L" and "acoustic git R". (think of a roland git amp with the chorus effect and the way they did this physically with the speakers.)
so this is the simplest way to work with that type of recording, and I can pan the whole guitar thing to some point (though not extreme) with the standard fader/pan plugin, and still have it sound stereo.

I agree about the graphics.
you might just do:

if (clip.mono) => feed graphics from clip.pre-pan
else => do as always

I've disabled pan based scaling for mono clips now. Will be present in v9.0.38

thanks! that should do it.

Return to “Tracktion”