Anyone had an SSD drive break ?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

If so interested to hear manufacturer and model and after how long it broke. Maybe we can get some gauge on reliability.

I have several Samsung SSD;s over the past 4 years nil failed.
http://www.voltagedisciple.com
Patches for PHASEPLANT ACE,PREDATOR, SYNPLANT, SUB BOOM BASS2,PUNCH , PUNCH BD
AALTO,CIRCLE,BLADE and V-Haus Card For Tiptop Audio ONE Module
https://soundcloud.com/somerville-1i

Mine broke last Thursday. It was a brand new dekstop, tailor made for me, with 500 GB SSD and 4 x HDD disks, among other. I had just, after 6 week work, build the DAW, installed all my music software, when
that happened. You can imagine, that slightly annoyed me. Of course I got a new SSD installed included warranty, but that doesn´t cover all the work and other nuisance.
I´m in the middle of re-building the DAW, now I take system image backups etc., which didn´t care do last time, or didn´t have "time" to take, yet.

I don´t believe you can define the realiability of the SSD by make and model.
So many other so called intermediate variables between the SSD model and "the realiability".
Your DAW is a holistic entity. And then there might be just some bad luck.

Among other, nowdays your computer OS plays a bigger role in the reliability, than 10 years ago, e.g. I have Win 10, and we all know the updating policy of the MS. I have even given some thoughs to the Meltdown/Spectre, and their possible role in my case. I have the policy keeping my work DAW connected in Internet, and although I use the best firewall and virus protection software you can get, you newer know what happens during the automatic updates of the OS. All kinds of shitty dangers. And the end user pays the price.

P.s. During the re-building process, I have noticed, that some developers have made the re-installing only application (without the data library), too complicated. E.g. I have the NI Komplete 11 Ultimate, and of course all my libs are located in the HDDs. Now, after installing the aplications, e.g. Kontakt 5.7 doesn´t have anymore the "add library" command, where I can show the Kontakt, where my data is. It has only "manage you libraries", which opens automatically the Native Access. But so far I haven´t found out, how to fix that, i.e. add library, after that. (I have not had time for this, tried that last weekend, and was very frustrated. If anyone knows this detail, pls put a couple of line here).

I have 3 ... no failures.

We did manage to kill one at work - intel 500 series - but it was in a workstation and specifically running as a ‘scratch’ drive on a machine doing computational chemistry 24/7 (so hammering the drive with write cycles non-stop) - and even then it took over a year ( we knew going in to it the drive was definitely ‘sacrificial’ - made a 10 fold increase in thruput so worth the cost)

I once had an OCZ Summit 64GB SSD something like 10 years ago, possibly my first SSD ever. Bought it second hand and had it running nearly 12 hours every day for 2-3 years myself. That thing started making very high-pitched noises during writing and reading when being powered on for an hour or so. Never broke, though.

That's just about the worst I had to suffer through with SSDs.

Now just don't get me started on the horrors of my life owed to mechanical HDD drives going wrong after as little as 4 months... costing me years of recorded projects and stashed lyrics and photos.
Confucamus.

My first SSD ever failed to work as soon as I tried to "format" it during Windows 7 installation. :dog:

My current one works fine, though.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Harry_HH wrote:Mine broke last Thursday. It was a brand new dekstop, tailor made for me, with 500 GB SSD and 4 x HDD disks, among other. I had just, after 6 week work, build the DAW, installed all my music software, when
that happened. You can imagine, that slightly annoyed me. Of course I got a new SSD installed included warranty, but that doesn´t cover all the work and other nuisance.
I´m in the middle of re-building the DAW, now I take system image backups etc., which didn´t care do last time, or didn´t have "time" to take, yet.

So many other so called intermediate variables between the SSD model and "the realiability".

Among other, nowdays your computer OS plays a bigger role in the reliability, than 10 years ago, e.g. I have Win 10, and we all know the updating policy of the MS. I have even given some thoughs to the Meltdown/Spectre, and their possible role in my case. I have the policy keeping my work DAW connected in Internet, and although I use the best firewall and virus protection software you can get, you newer know what happens during the automatic updates of the OS. All kinds of shitty dangers. And the end user pays the price.

P.s. During the re-building process, I have noticed, that some developers have made the re-installing only application (without the data library), too complicated. E.g. I have the NI Komplete 11 Ultimate, and of course all my libs are located in the HDDs. Now, after installing the aplications, e.g. Kontakt 5.7 doesn´t have anymore the "add library" command, where I can show the Kontakt, where my data is. It has only "manage you libraries", which opens automatically the Native Access. But so far I haven´t found out, how to fix that, i.e. add library, after that. (I have not had time for this, tried that last weekend, and was very frustrated. If anyone knows this detail, pls put a couple of line here).
Ok so much info yet none of it is related to which brand you used 6 weeks until it failed? Which is kinda most important information in your story.

kmonkey wrote:
Harry_HH wrote:Mine broke last Thursday. It was a brand new dekstop, tailor made for me, with 500 GB SSD and 4 x HDD disks, among other. I had just, after 6 week work, build the DAW, installed all my music software, when

Ok so much info yet none of it is related to which brand you used 6 weeks until it failed? Which is kinda most important information in your story.
No, that´s the least important part of this "story", as you put it. If you read it carefully, you may notice, that the core point of this "story" is, that SSD make or model doesn´t explain, the probability of the brake.

Had my first SSD (a Crucial M500 100 GB) in operation for about 3 1/2 years, and didn't have an issue with it. I "upgraded" to a Samsung 850 Pro with 256 GB then, and have that as a system drive now, and, no issues with it either. Too early to say anything about the long term reliability though, but, i don't have any concerns in that regard either.

All information input is good but the plan was to try and flag up any brands or more specifically model No. that may have propensity to breaking prematurely. This did and does happen with specific spinning platter HDD's. In periods some HDD's have had bad reputations and it had been warranted.

My input though not really relevant.. I have numerous PC's - 2 have Samsung 850 Pro 10 year warranted drives and have in their short time in operation worked fine - less than a year each...the same with a and 1 x an Evo. However this is hardly a test of endurance and they are all relatively low duty C drives where audio is not present and it merely holds OS and applications. I am getting a strong impression that the Samsung Pro series are one of the best. To warrant your product for 10 years shows a fair level of confidence.

I had two system disk SSD drives (Crucial and Sandisk) which both broke within a one year time span. That made me decide to replace both the PSU and the motherboard.
The more I hang around at KVR the less music I make.

I have two Crucials which have worked flawlessly for the last few years. A couple of friends had OCZ Vertex drives suddenly die on them a few years back, but they were notoriously failure-prone due to the buggy Sandforce chipset they used.
Image Image Image Image

Old workstation: 1TB samsung 850 evo. In use: 2 years. Status: perfect
Current workstation: dual 512GB samsung 850 evo in Raid0. In use: 1.25 years. Status: perfect

In my old job we used Intel and Samsung SSDs like candy. The only issue we had was with high temperature variants in a high temperature environment using M2 form factor.

May I ask what applications you use to check the SSD status Shockwave77598 ? I vaguely recall a registery cleaner/sweeper having a disk health checker but cannot recall which.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”